.177 or .22?

scott_milker

i always thought that .22 is the better hunting calibre, and im sure many of you will agree, but im choosing a new rifle and after having been down to my local shooting club they asked if i would be target shooting aswell, which i will. they said to get .177, as many hunters are using this now due to accuracy. suggestions please guys!! thanks

Easily the most commonly asked airgun question alongside "which pellets are best".

There is no correct answer, take a rifle doing theoretically 12fpe and both pellets have the same energy.

.22 is generally believed to have more "stopping power", I don't agree but that's what people think.

.177 is faster and flatter shooting, making range easier to deal with which is why target/hft people use them.

Both are capable hunters for the acceptable quarry, in pcp configuration .177 will have less shots per fill than .22 - other than that there is little to chose between them.

thanks guys. i have been told the same by people in my local club, and one of them killed a rabbit this morning with a .177 at 60 yards so i have no doubts about the capabilities now!!

Only 60 yards thats pathetic, I shot a wild boar at 300yds with the cork attachment on my newly aquired GAT Gun. I have also shot flying woodpigeons with my knicker elastic catapult and I once went big game hunting in the serengeti with a pea shooter.

60yds with a .177 :good::D:lol::lol::lol::D:lol::lol::lol::D:P:no:

one of them killed a rabbit this morning with a .177 at 60 yards so i have no doubts about the capabilities now!!

Not something I would brag about, I wouldn`t even think about using a sub 12ftlbs anything over 1/2 that distance :blush:

At the risk of getting my head bitten off.........

H if you limit yourself to 30 yards only with a non FAC air rifle you are doing yourself a disservice

a 12ft/lb rifle is more than capable of dispatching cleanly a head shot rabbit at a greater distance although i wouldn't condone 60yrds

TP

I've taken rabbit at 45-50 yds with my 12 ft-lbs .177! It's not a regular thing by any means, but in perfect conditions and with a good prone shot it's possible. 60 yds is pushing the limits hard, and will increase the chance of wounding by a great deal. In average field conditions, 35 yards is my happy range.

As you can see, .177 is my calibre of choice :blush:

one of them killed a rabbit this morning with a .177 at 60 yards so i have no doubts about the capabilities now!!

Not something I would brag about, I wouldn`t even think about using a sub 12ftlbs anything over 1/2 that distance :blush:

:blush: Spot on HD too many people hunting from the armchair telling young gullible lads about their made up hunting stories theres loads of them :blush: a fair few on here aswell :blush::blush:

thanks guys. i have been told the same by people in my local club, and one of them killed a rabbit this morning with a .177 at 60 yards so i have no doubts about the capabilities now!!

Only 60 yards thats pathetic, I shot a wild boar at 300yds with the cork attachment on my newly aquired GAT Gun. I have also shot flying woodpigeons with my knicker elastic catapult and I once went big game hunting in the serengeti with a pea shooter.

60yds with a .177 :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::good::no::no::no:

So what about clays then MC?

You bringing the black widow :blush::blush::blush::blush:

When you next go to a Basc game fare there is always a Air gun stand run by proper trainers .One of them is quite adamant that his friend regularly take's rabbits out cleanly with a legal limit .177 at 80 yds :blush:

The real factor in the equation for consistant humane dispatch of quarry is'nt whether your using a .177 or a .22 but how are you judging distance ?

How many of you airgnners operate using a range finder .For a rifle being used on it's maximum capable limits most of the time then ranging the shot is critical .Put either pellet in the brain and you've a dead rabbit but set any 12 ft lb rifle up and shoot it at intervals of 5 yds and you'll see the rainbow trajectory of a .22 ,less for a .177 but stretch this calibres legs out to see exactly what hold over is required .But what good is this knowledge if all your doing at the end of the day is guessing the range in the field .

I use a 35 ftlb Air Rifle which IMO IS a 60yd tool and even i have to allow for a 4" drop at 75yds for a 50 yd zero .I always use a range finder when hunting using air as well :blush:

There is no substitute for personnel raw experience . :blush:

Range finder landing here next week :blush:

It is the way forward ...........Ping a rabbit 100yds away and at least you know you've got to take 65 steps using guile to get towards it . :blush: .......Or in my case none if I'm using the HMR :blush: ...........I know which is more satisfying though :blush:

:blush: Spot on HD too many people hunting from the armchair telling young gullible lads about their made up hunting stories theres loads of them :blush: a fair few on here aswell :blush::blush:

well its not that he made up story he showed me the rabbit, and i didnt realise people would get in such a flap about it! im sure if he didnt think he was capable of making the kill he wouldnt have made the shot, but i appreciate what you are saying i will bear it in mind. have to learn these things somewhere!!

another thing i was wondering is - not that im thinking of doing it yet- but what process do you have to go through to be allowed a FAC rifle?

Try the SEARCH facility, there are one or two threads on this subject.

Alternatively, PM Snakebite and ask his opinion, then retreat somewhere really safe, like a nuclear fallout shelter. :lol:

I missed this one :P

I think it has all been said by others on this thread, however I would gladly give the man £100 if he could achieve this sort of shot with any consistency.

Out of 10 shots I reckon he would get a pellet in the 2p sized kill zone about 3 times. Not good hunting odds in my book.

another thing i was wondering is - not that im thinking of doing it yet- but what process do you have to go through to be allowed a FAC rifle?

I know you say that you are not thinking of doing it yet and that is a good thing, get some experience under your belt with the hunting before you even think about it. Just because you can get an FAC doesn't mean you should get one. Not having a go, just trying to advise. :angry:

yeah i know its best to get experience first, i was just wondering what process you would have to go through, from what i can gather it seems like a fairly lengthy one.

It depends on the police force you are dealing with, the experience you have, the amount of land you have etc. There are a lot of factors.

• 3 weeks later...

177 is as good as anything if you want 22 stopping power in 177 get heavy weight pellets, simple, up to 20 grain should do the same as a 22 bisley magnum, dont be put off by a smaller pellet ,, if your planing to go F A C i would definately go 22