Gardener shot in the head

agusta

fundamentally if it is doc they won't have a clue where to start looking, does look a bit like a Lr to me as well.

If they removed the bullet, could they find out by checking the rifeling, I doubt they would but interested to know if ***.

doc

Edited by docholiday

My 'guess' as it's all I can say is it's a 22lr direct shot as Doc said, but from shooting bunnies on long axis with a 22lr The bullet often stops in the rear of the bunny (often intact) and with a head having simular tissue density that would be about right for say a 60m +/- 20m shot for the energy involved, therefore my 'guess' it was an aimed shot using a moderated gun.

I have seen reconstructions of skulls from head shots, used to make plates for surgical reconstruction of gunshot injuries and they have alot of frontal damage - this shot shows little damage. The bullet looks in good condition to obtain a signature.

you'd have to check every .22 rifle registered in the area and were someone with an open ticket using it on dodgy ground it would be a needle in a haystack so to speak.

suprising that there isnt a data base of the rifeling of all rifles, or have I misunderstood how it works?

doc

;) see what you mean

Would be almost impossible to do as the rifling will also change with age, use etc and in the main would be used so seldom that it just wouldn't be worth the hastle... Very unusual to find an unharmed, intact bullet at a crime scene, once it is deformed it is very difficult (although not impossible) to match any rifling. Also, we are blessed by the fact that there is very little, almost no, gun crime commited with legally held firearms. The guns that would benefit from being on such a database are the illegally held ones that the Police don't know about anyway!

Edited by Vipa

suprising that there isnt a data base of the rifeling of all rifles, or have I misunderstood how it works?

doc

Too much CSI New york/Miami etc.

we don't have the pretty girls working in the labs either.

M.

Too much CSI New york/Miami etc.

What, you don't have magic software that automatically compares one random

irregular object with something similar then rotates and scales the two pictures

and displpayes them over each other to show that you've got 'a match'.

You'll be telling us that you can't get DNA results back within the hour either next!

Nial

Hi fellas, I too think this guy is unlucky and lucky :w00t:

I've just googled the guys address, and not too far away is a large golf course, so maybe a stray from there from someone doing pest control ? I Hope not, as it once again tarnishes the name of all shooters, not only those shooting in such places. Hopefully the local constabulary will have this sussed asap and prove it was some local idiot messing about or maybe cleaning/testing his gun, obviously in a totally incorrect way ;)

Either way, I hope this guy isn't suffering too much and makes a quick recovery :blink:

Is anyone else a little suspicious that the x-ray image included in the original news story is not the actual scan from this particular case, it seems to show a large fracture in the forehead area and surgical staples across the top of the head which are not mentioned

I dont dispute the validity of the story or the fact that this poor guy has suffered a terrible injury but a picture paints a thousand words and here we are all discussing the possible causes of this based on the image in question.

Either way its a bad thing for our sport, hope the guy gets well soon.

Is anyone else a little suspicious that the x-ray image included in the original news story is not the actual scan from this particular case, it seems to show a large fracture in the forehead area and surgical staples across the top of the head which are not mentioned

I dont dispute the validity of the story or the fact that this poor guy has suffered a terrible injury but a picture paints a thousand words and here we are all discussing the possible causes of this based on the image in question.

Either way its a bad thing for our sport, hope the guy gets well soon.

I noticed that, well he did black out so perhaps it's where he collapsed on the floor.

To those that say it isn't a .22, I don't see why not as if you compare it to say.. his teeth, the dia. isn't much bigger then a single tooth.. so definately not a 9mm.

Looks like a .22 too, to me ;)