ear defenders

warcop

just bought my first shotgun yesterday and decided to take it out to get used to it ,as i had only fired 1-2 rounds before today ,i shot 10 shots and after each shot had ringing in my left ear for about 5 seconds,so i have decided i want some sort of ear defenders,and dont know what to go for ,

i have looked on ebay and they vari in price considerbly ,there are ear muff types for under the tenner mark,foam ones for around the 2 quid mark for 20 and there are the electronic ones around the 50 quid mark,i have always been told you get what you pay for ..so can anyone help me out am i wiser paying the 50 quid or will the cheaper ones do the job....by the way i will just be shooting ,crows/pigeons no clay s

many thanks

mike :lol:

Have to recommend the electronics. Get what you pay for. I'd even suggest not going for ebay (unless their reputable and a named brand). It's not worth messing around with your hearing.

Some people find it hard to shoot with big bulky ear defenders and so get specially ear moulded jobbies. The rest of us just have to cope with it, I personally don't find it a huge problem. It might be worth trying ear defenders in a shop to see if it affects your mounting of a gun.

morning warcop

I would deffinetly recomend the electronic type, i got a pair from weston last year that had a fault (but now fine) and a pair from attleborough,s

a pair for each ear :lol: no seriously i have a solar powered pair and the battery type, the battery ones i bought because i missed having the others while being mendid, They have a very good advantage over the plugs that you shove down your ear or the normal ear muff type in that you can still hear whats going on around you. Was shooting a few crows the other day and would have missed one if i hadnt of heard it coming from behind me, and if your clay shooting any time you can hear the trap, so yes would be without them.

:lol:

I purchased some Deben electronic ear muffs several years ago, and have been very pleased. They went faulty as few weks ago, and were repaired by Deben for a charge of £35, eventhough the actual model is now obsolete.

If I were in the market again, I would buy a pair of the solar powered, hence no battery problems. However, if this means that you have to save up, please ensure that you use one of the cheaper methods in the meantime. To use nothing at all would be risking your hearing.

webber

Mike I can't believe you went shooting with no ear protection at all, when your hearing is gone it's gone it ain't coming back.

I use the sonic II plugs these allow you to hear whats going on and they have a valve that closes down when a shot is fired. I'm considering getting some moulded ones asI find if I don't get the sonics in in just the right place they get unconfortable.

Check out these guys for electronic and passive ear defenders

I have the electronic ones, they are deben and they are the best by far.....they are slimline so the comb of the gun does not hit them on the mount.

If you find them cheaper than these guys I'll eat your hat....and they'll beat anyone else.

Should also say that I'm not connected to the company just a previous customer

Adam

Ear defenders, optics warehouse.

In health and safety law, at 85 dB an employer must take measures to assess the noise risk and provide information on the noise hazard, ear protectors must be made available but dont have to be worn. At 90 dB hearing protectors must be worn and other measures must be taken to ensure the noise exposure is decreased.

Although, at 85dB the ears are permanently damaged by this level of noise. It does require however that there is prolonged exposure for the damage to become noticable. Anything above this intensity and permanent hearing damage without ear protection is unavoidable.

A shotgun produces 170 dB.

I wear ear defenders when I am claay shooting but not when I am stalking. How can you hear what noise you are making (or not makin) with ear defenders on?

I'd like to try some of these electronic types but they had better be good for me to use them.

B

I`m on my 2nd pair of Debens and the only reason it`s a 2nd is the plastic/foam buffer were no longer made,however the new ones are IMO better.I would advise anyone to use them every time as my shooting pal is almost stone deaf and an old `keeper I know just laughs and nods in noisy company as he can`t hear and is embarrassed to ask people to repeat all the time.You have been warned :lol:

Mike I can't believe you went shooting with no ear protection at all, when your hearing is gone it's gone it ain't coming back.

i know i made a mistake after the 4-5 shot ,but you know what its like with a new gun you just have to go and shot it...but i wont be going shooting with it till i get some ear defenders ,

the ones i was looking at on ebay were the peltor pro tac or the peltor sound trap, ithink both retail over the 100 quid mark any one got these that can comment on them :lol:?

The deben ones look really good anyone else got these that can coment on them

I have used the passive ones for clays, and never used any for live shooting.

However now that the kids are starting to come on to shooting I have just bought a pair of electronic ear defenders from ebay. Silverline electronic ear defenders, cost about £20. Tried them one at home, found could hear the telly in the other room with them on, but not without them, so the amplifiying bit works great, then tried clappling my hands and found they competely blocked the sound.

So impressed with them I have gone back and ordered another pair.

Cranfield have you tried the electronic ones?

Only problem, if it is that, is that in the field walking on stubble is amplified as with all other noises below the restricted db (which I'm not sure at the moment what that is) but peoples voices sound like the minister in church they really are superb.

They work on a spike, which means any sound above the restricted db level is suppressed immediately and they are very very effective....ask for a demo and clap your hands with them on.

They even drown out the noise of the dog whistle, and as henry d says sitting next to a duck pond they are like having a third ear!!!!

So splash out you won't be dissappointed but remember to get the slimeline ones....

Adam

i know what cranfield is saying, ive got some quite old ear destroyers, and they smack the stock all the time, also being blind, they knock my glasses around, if those cheap ear pieces would stay in my deformed ears i would have them, but i have awkward ears, and they just pop straight out :lol:

Seriously, would a a dollop of olive oil followed by a good wad of cotton wool not do the job? I know when i dewax my old ears and use this method i become as deaf as a post. Just think, you would be killing two birds with one stone - dewaxing and protecting your ears at the same time. Have tried ear muffs (oh no man) and just bought plastic ear plugs for £3.95 - (oh no man) they keep falling out -robbed again. They see me coming - a pox on robbers :lol::lol:

Cheers

Jim the geordie

Check out these guys for electronic and passive ear defenders

I have the electronic ones, they are deben and they are the best by far.....they are slimline so the comb of the gun does not hit them on the mount.

If you find them cheaper than these guys I'll eat your hat....and they'll beat anyone else.

Should also say that I'm not connected to the company just a previous customer

Adam

Ear defenders, optics warehouse.

thanks lads/lasses for all your advice i have opted for the deben slimline electronic passive ear defenders

as surgested by The Big Red Fox from optics warehouse ,they will be here tomorrow....thanks again to everyone who posted here with advice for me .the newbie...feel right at home already

mike :lol:

I prefer the ear muffs to the fitted ear defenders for two reasons:

If you are shooting and it is cold, wet and windy they keep your ears warm! Also they stop your hat blowing away when it is very windy!

I use the electronic ones that can be recharged from a cigarette lighter socket in the car. They're great.

Another advantage to the ear defender type ones is that they hold your glasses in place - my glasses are quite small and light and don't stay put so well.

I have some early Peltor ear defenders which are electronic and they are very good, the only drawback is that they are mono.

I'd either go for Emtec, Green Leopard (with the electronics in) or a pair of Debens like warcop is getting, if I had the £ to replace the peltors.