Hunting Wild Boar

Traztaz

I have just spent 4 wonderfull days in the most amazing hunting area I have ever been to.I was in the former DDR, near a place called Torgau.My host was introduced to me through a friend who accompanied me for our hunting trip.

The Revier was amazing, holding many species.To mention but a few there were Red deer,Fallow deer, Roe deer, Wild boar, Muflon, Raccoon dog(Marder-Hund),Fox,and Racoons.

I have many tales to tell from the 3 days of hunting but maybe the most important is the one of a big male wild boar, or Keiler.We hunted nearly all day every day,getting up at 04.15 to sit on high seats for a few hours untill 08.00 then a hearty breakfast and out again to stalk either the massive corn fields(which had been cut through with stripes to allow stalking), or the open grasslands the other side of the revier, untill late afternoon.Then it was back to the house for about 18.00 for anathor hearty meal before going out again between 20.00 and 21.00 to sit untill between 0.00 and 01.00, and then a welcome bed!!

Many beasts were brought to book, but the best and the most memorable story is this one.

Wednesday night, our last night to sit I elected to sit on a seat I had not sat in before( The seats are like small huts on an agricultural trailer.To enable them to be moved.)

Like this if the picture works!

post-11046-1254495356.jpg

Edited by Traztaz

The seat I decided on was sat in the maize field, near a small ditch that ran through it,sorry no pictures!I arrived having stalked the 300 odd meters to the seat at about 21.00, the moon was showing a little, certainly enough to shoot.We are not allowed to use any sort of sighting aid at night except high quality optics.

I gently eased myself up onto the trailer and felt around for the door latch of the hut( each and every one is different!Some are a hasp and staple with a big nail to hold them shut and some one or anathor variation on a sliding or swinging latch.Got it, felt how it opens and in I go.

Once inside it's a routine for me, everything in its place so I can find it immediatly in the dark, so it was rucksack in rear left corner and cocked and loaded rifle in the front left.

The huts have normally 3 windows, left,right and forward.

My routine is left, center and then right.

I scrabbled around left for about 20 secs and worked out how it opens, job done its center time, hands on the top feeling about , and a glance through it.

OMG!!A massive Keiler only 50 M from the hut!!and he is moving briskly accross the open cut toward the ditch and the Maize !!

I now have about 5 seconds to work out how this bloody window opens, get the rifle and let the shot go!!Scrabbeling like a mad man as quietly as I can I manage to open the window, that took at least 3 seconds(This has to be done in silence as pigs are intelligent, have a great set of earsand an even better nose, and at the first sign of danger will take off big time!)

2 seconda and a pigs length before he was in the maize I have a sight picture of him, check the sight picture again and squeeze off............BOOOOOOOOOOOM!

The pigs reaction to shot is typical of large pig, a milisecond of nothing followed by a sprint that starts like a wheel spinning Ferrari.Unfortunatly straight into the maize.

OH poo!! thinks I , run the sequence through my mind once again and am sure I have hit him hard and where it works, the boiler room.

The only thing is you can not follow up pig in the dark, if I have not killed him and he is laying in his wound bed as I try to follow up in the dark he will kill me!

I called the host to let him know and the instruction was sit tight and keep shooting, this pig we will deal with at first light, a normall thing to happen.

This had all happened so fast and I still had hours to sit and ponder the shot, the longer I sat the more it seemed he must lie dead.

midnight arrived and the other two hunters came to me so that we could work together to see if we could determine exactly what my big boy had done.

The first thing to do is to go to the spot that he was stood and look to see what kind of blood was there, this will tell you many things, foamy blood with a pink colour being from lungs, dark thick blood being from a liver etc etc, plus the hair type, and bone fragments tell their stories too.

15 mins of search brought up NOTHING!!

I am feeling bad now, and a little embarrased, and decide to have a look at the outer layer of maize leafs where he entered, all I found was a tiney 1 ck by a half cm bit of blood....................................oh **** I think, have I hit him in the lower leg or somthing?

The decision is taken straight away that to enter the maize is foolhardy and dangerous, we will wait untill first light.

I am feeling bad and do not sleep well!

Edited by Traztaz

Morning comes and out we go,I am very aprehensiveas I do not want to have wounded a Keiler, maybe he is there wanting to kill me, maybe he is far away and a danger to some innocent person!

We arrive at the field,and go straight to the small bit of blood.I am armed with my rifleas is the host with his.It is my beast so I must go first, heart beating I slowly and very quietly step into the maize, this is a confusing and low light environment, slowly forward and searching for blood, the little I have found is too low down for my liking, suggesting a low shot, and quantity wise it is far too little..................On and forward, searching the rows as I go to try to find the rout he has taken................I am wishing my dog was here........................and then I find this!!

This is much more like it!!Great spurts of blood are staining the maize, I feel a little better, even more would be better but this is good!!

post-11046-1254498117.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I have found him, we cover him with rifles, and I cover the head as the host approaches from behind and kicks him hard in the rump!!YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS he is dead!!My heart slows a little, and then I look at him a little and start to realise what I have shot!!A Monster!!!130 KG was the weight in the end!!

post-11046-1254499020.jpg

This is him in the full glory, what a pig!!I have shot bigger, but never as memorable, what a day, what a night, what an experience...........................best of luck to all of you on here with your hunting and may you too realise your dreams!!What's next is my question??

Thankyou for giving me this oppertunity Horst!!

post-11046-1254499865.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAhh forgot that bit!! The shot ended up to be the wrong side of his diafram, and hit him in the liver, which then shut the hole thus allowing no blood out, although internal bleed was massive, untill the liver was jolted out of position, no trail was to be seen.

Intrestingly there was an exit wound, however NOTHING was to be seen in the way of blood from this, I am sure that somthing would have come from it and for a dog it would have been easy!

Fantastic stuff Traztaz, that is one hell of a beast. What happens to the meat? Some good eating there by the looks of it.

I keep promising myself that I will get out and have adventures like this once the kids are older.

Thanks for posting :lol:

ZB

Thankyou, the rifle is a .308 winchester in remington 700 but customised, undergunned for this occasion.I also have a 9,3 X62 which to be honest would have done a better job.It would not have dropped him on the spot, but would have created a much larger wound channle and so have made the follow easier as I would have had an easier blood trail to follow.

YOU live YOU LEARN!!