Stand up or sit down

Lez325

How many of you sit whilst hide shooting>:good:???

Most of the DVD's - Ive watched on this subject the shooter always stands- Im a lazy sod and shoot from the sitting position which I do easily- its comfortable too when waiting for incoming birds- couldnt imagine standing for 3 -4 hours

However my old camping chair gave up the Ghost this morning- have to find a new one now- so tomorrow I guess I'll be standing too

Les :blush:

i use 3 25lt plastic buckets inside each other, when ive finished shooting i use 2 of them to collect dead birds, 1 is full of nets and empty shells, mind you i am able to drive to most of my hide positions, carrying 3 buckets with all the other gear might not be so easy

mikee

i use 3 25lt plastic buckets inside each other, when ive finished shooting i use 2 of them to collect dead birds, 1 is full of nets and empty shells, mind you i am able to drive to most of my hide positions, carrying 3 buckets with all the other gear might not be so easy

mikee

Im fortunate that I too with the 4x4 can drive to any position on the land I have- Ive just ordered one of the buckets with a swivel top - see how that performs- gotta be better than the old picnic chairs I presently using

Les :ernyha:

Edited by Lez325

I will stand and sit (using a low foldable seat) but what I can not do is kneel.......I get pins and needles in my legs.

Even out wildfowling i have to sit on the ground because if kneeling my legs go so numb i cant even feel them :ernyha:

But I think you get better movement of the body if standing

as a newbie to pidgeon shooting, I have to say standing, my first three outings saw me sitting on a upturned large bucket, behind my homemade blind, each time I returned home with 1 pidgeon :ernyha: that had landed within the deeks,as those flying over, I just wasent quick enough to react, my last outing, I stood up, and immeadiatly saw a difference, 6 birds all shot in the air, a big confidence boost as I thought I could'ent hit a barn door, although my right foot did go dead as a do-do

One trick if your seat isn`t high enough to get up out of a sitting position easily, try digging/scraping a hollow in front of you to put your feet in or to have the back of the seat higher up so you aren`t folded up. The "picnic" style folding seats are bad for that, if you are comfortable and able to rise out of your seat easily then you will shoot better.

I am with you, i sit down in a hide but seem to hit more from standing up,

so i have one of those camo nets which are like mosquito so you can see through it them stand up and shoot,

that is what suits me anyway

As above, i prefer to be seated on my home made 25lt bucket seat.

can I ask where did you get the bucket seat- maybe I should invest in one- Ive been using a green canvas Argos camping chair till it died this morning he he

Les :blink:

Les shame i'm a bit late as you have ordered a bucket seat!!! :blink: I get them for nothing then buy some green or brown spray and spray them. otherwise you can use an old net to cover it!

Excellent for storage of nets, carts etc: :lol: :blink:

ATB turk101

From a coaches point of view and also a pigeon shooter, it has to be stand to shoot.

Because 70% of a good shot is your stance.

I have a seat which is high so as I can just rest my bum on it really, then gently lean forward a little to stand and take the shot.

Keep the net as high as you can to cover you when standing and use a mask and gloves aswell. It works great for me as I`v had lots of 200 plus bird days over the years and a few 300s.

About 85% of my hide shooting is done from a sitting position, due to the low profile hides I am obliged to have (not a lot of natural cover).

I even shoot sitting on a padded mat, flat on the ground.

It is important to be comfortable and making sure you have room to stretch your legs (even if this means some excavation) is important.

I shoot from a shooting stick (short periods), or a drum.

The drum has a revolving lid which helps, but as you tend to move from the waist, rather than swing your whole body around, its not essential.

I agree with COACH that stance is important when standing to shoot and it enables you to take a wide variety of shots.

However, when shooting from a sitting position you have to consciously restrict your area of shooting.

Its almost impossible to take any shots directly overhead when birds come from either side, or to take birds going behind the hide.

I only shoot at birds in the "killing area" of the decoy pattern, which I can get the gun on to with very little movement and effort.

It does take some discipline to ignore the other "difficult" shots, but if left those birds often swing round and drop into the decoys.

If you think it is too hard, or ineffective to shoot sitting down, watch disabled shooters sitting in a wheelchair and shooting competition clays.

It will open your eyes.