Beating for the first time

As well as holding the line as Alex said, another tip is be aware of people either side of you, especially in tall cover like maize, and never be the first one out the end :blink:

At the risk of repeating myself, buy a bag of chocholate eclairs (the toffee sort) and offer them round, don't ask me why but they just seem to be the beaters favourite sweet.

If you don't have leggings already and going to buy some for this, have a look at treggins, they have become de regueur amongst serious beaters as you can sit down and not get a wet ****

Yes they are waxed cotton, I will find a picture as I am useless at describing things.

Here you go:

Treggins_sml.jpg

mrs stuartp is a once, sometimes twice, a week beater so I bought her a pair and she loves them.

I just wear my stalking trousers as I never seem to get invloved in fighting through brambles, this time of year it is all blocking in and then into cover which is maize

• 2 weeks later...
A good stout stick one that you are not worried about damaging can be very handy, good for bashing the undergrowth and good as an aid to ford ditches and other obstacles, they have gotten me out of trouble on a few occasions.

Frank

A Hazel stick with a 'V' at the top so you can prop up a wire fence if you need to get through it and also a pair of thornproof gloves. Gardening gloves would be fine.

Also practice making silly noises, you'll be impressed by some of the vocals that some of the seasoned beaters are in the habit of using. Especially get used to shouting "Over!!" which is the shout used to alert the dozing Guns that there's some game headed their way :lol:

I hope you enjoy the day, it really is good fun :good: