Solid slug - v- 300 Weatherby

Dropped in to see a friend the other day who's off boar shooting. He's been experimenting with both a 300 Weatherby and 12g solid slugs on a 45 gallon oil drum to see which has the best impact at medium range.

See below. The small holes and dents are the 300 Weatherby coming out the other side of the barrel. The BIG holes are the solid slugs. :rolleyes: (A normal 12g cartridge is next to one of the exit holes to give a sense of scale).

Pretty impressive and the friend is tempted to opt for the solid slugs for his trip away.

HB

post-16922-1256503687.jpg

Simple really. You have to use a rifle for Deer in the UK, so a rifled slug through a smooth bore is illegal in normal cases. It can be done, but only in certain situations.

I myself would go for the Weatherby. A slug is great at close range but a rifle is much better. The slug may perform well on an empty oil drum but the .300 is going to give piggy a nasty amount of shock due to its travelling at maybe 3x the speed of the slug!

I have used slugs on white tail deer in the states and they are awesome . They will kill just about any thing there is on this planet . The down side is range and accuracy . The longest shot I took with a slug was about 60 yards and they are fine accuracy wise at these short ranges . If I had the choise then It would be the centre fire rifle over the slugs . Incidently when I was shooting with the slugs they were compulsary as you were not allowed to use a rifle on deer in new york state .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

Depending on the 300s weight i would go for that, you dont want to start swing a heavy target rifle as most shots will be at moving targets,

A 12g and solid didnt do at all well last time i went loads of misses.Having paid out the money to go and shoot some Boar, its not very good when you actually get the chance to shoot one only to miss due to an unsuitable gun. :blush:

A 12g and solid didnt do at all well last time i went loads of misses.Having paid out the money to go and shoot some Boar, its not very good when you actually get the chance to shoot one only to miss due to an unsuitable gun. :)

So what is your excuse then Mr Dougy

Guys, let me help you here, you as a whole are paying good money to travle to shoot driven boar while I do it literally on my doorstep.Do it with a rifle, you will be on shoots where you are stood under a tree or on a seat and this is not the realm of the slug.I shoot driven boar about 6-10 times a year and I and ALL the people I shoot with( average hunt having 30 people on) shoot rifle.The slug has it's place, and that is not the driven hunt in the style it will come to you.I shoot slug maybe 1 time a year, and that is seriosly close quaters in a place where the boar can only escape via you, ie directly at you.

Forget the slug, get a red dot and a decent heavy rifle , preferably in the 9.3 caliber, but if not then not smaller than .308.................................and ENJOY!!

I love these "should I use a solid slug?" threads.

I reckon I am fairly handy with a shotgun and I took a solid slug FAC shotgun for the boar. I can hand on heart say that with open sights on a Beretta Extrema2 with 1/4 choke it was completely and utterly not accurate much beyond the distance you could throw a tennis ball. Next time, I will take a "rifle" with a scope that will turn down to x3 magnification and has an illuminated reticule.

You see those holes spread across that photo of the oil drum - yeah, that's what I would call a "tight group" for solid slugs through a shotgun.

However, I bow to the superior knowledge of people who have never actually shot a solid slug through a shotgun at a running (or stationary) boar and who say that solid slugs are both accurate and the best thing to use on boar. Yep, indeed, you might as well ignore the photo of the oil drum as well.

EDIT:

Just read Traztaz's post and he's spot on.

Edited by Mungler

Solid slugs can be fairy accurate. The boys who use them for practical shotgun events have got it down to a fine art, after a lot of trial and error, but even then they are only looking at a six inch group at 25 yards.

It all depends very much on your slug ( there are many different types) and it depends on your gun. At best its only going to be achieved with a lot of experimenting and an expensive red dot sight fitted to your shotgun. Even then its way behind anything you can achieve with a half decent rifle.

In France hunters in the forests will load their second barrel with solid just in case they disturb a boar by accident but thats just for insurance in case of attack. Thats probably where the idea of using slugs for boar originates from. They do hunt boars with shotguns in France but they are just out to put meat on the table and aren't bothered about taking what we would think of as a sporting shot. Also they go out in groups of about four shooters to down one boar. Then they divide it up and bring it home.

The other trouble with slugs is that they have a very curved trajectory. The Weatherby is a nice rifle, A bit underpowered for boar. the favoured calibres are 9.3mm and .375 H&H but it should be OK.. If you are going to pay all that money you want to hit your boar.

Edited by Vince Green

Just as an asside, are you going to eat the meat? I'd imagine that the amount of damage one of these slugs would do would cause quite a bit of spoilage; but I know nothing of these things.

I've only seen people hunt boar in NZ where they do it with dogs and a knife. :)

Edited by clueless1

I found a good article on slugs verses rifle on a Chuck Hawkes site and he recommends the rifle every time if you have one.

But there are some Americans who can get a good 4" group out of a shotgun at 100 yards with slugs.

bet they don't on a moving target though,

So what is your excuse then Mr Dougy

I think it was allot to do with not having the rifle properly zeroed before i went, adding to that the Huge Deer that ran 20yards infront of me (frightened me to death) and then watching this bambino baby boar trotting infront of me wondering should i shoot it now or wait till it gets a bit bigger, then thought Ah! go for it, that was the volly of gun fire that woke the rest of the team up.

Yes i missed OK !!! but that little pigy sure did run fast :lol:

this year its Zeroed so we will see how it goes.

I would have thought that one should practise shooting the rifle at moving objects, such as a football rolling down a slope or other similar objects to get used to the rifle.

It's a bit pointless trying to shoot something that's running about if you're not very good at it.

Nothing personal by the way.

I would have thought that one should practise shooting the rifle at moving objects, such as a football rolling down a slope or other similar objects to get used to the rifle.

It's a bit pointless trying to shoot something that's running about if you're not very good at it.

Nothing personal by the way.

No worries.

i see your point, BUT, i hadnt zeroed the rifle after we had landed i knew it was ok on the range the week before, after that drive i altered the elevation, (it was about 6inches high) next one i shot at didnt run, and that was a big pigy.

I think it was allot to do with not having the rifle properly zeroed before i went, adding to that the Huge Deer that ran 20yards infront of me (frightened me to death) and then watching this bambino baby boar trotting infront of me wondering should i shoot it now or wait till it gets a bit bigger, then thought Ah! go for it, that was the volly of gun fire that woke the rest of the team up.

Yes i missed OK !!! but that little pigy sure did run fast

this year its Zeroed so we will see how it goes.

Yeh whatever mate..... :yes::lol:

Edited by miffy