Which .17HMR Ammo?

Right Guys, I have just ordered a .17 HMR and am looking for advice on which ammo would be best to try as a starting point. The rifle is a CZ 452 Varmint and is "As New" and has had less than 500 (Closer to 200) shots through it. The gun will be fitted with a moderator (Haven't decided which to go for yet) and a descent scope and will be used for "general Vermin" shooting form about 75 yards to maybe 150 yards (Aprox)

If any of you have this particular model of rifle in this caliber I would value your opinions on which ammo would be most suitable to use.

Also, please could someone explain what the diference is between the Red Tip and the Blue Tip ammo is please?

Thanks Guys. ???

Hi....

No difference with the red and blue tips, there both the same inside, its just that they had some blue tips that were left over from the HM ii amo that hasnt sold very well,

Or thats as i understand it....

It all boils down to what ammo you can get hold of and then youve got to try maybe 3 different types and see which groups the best...

You could ask the seller what ammo he has used and if he has tried any others....

Cheers...

Nik. ???

I highly recommend the V MAx range from Hornady. I use both 17 an 20 grain heads thru my Cz 452 and the gun loves them. Prices vary from place to place but usually from £26 up for 50. Though i was lucky to pick 500 rounds up for £100 on special offer from the Sportsmanguncenter. Dont worry about the different colour tips they have, its of no consequence to their performance thru the gun. Sak silencer is pretty effective for the money. As for scope well i leave that to your preference. I use Niko Game King 4+16.44 pallx Ajust with (IR). On a good day and weather permiting, i'm dropping small vermin 150yrds plus with The V MAx ammo and i usually zero for 100yrds. For a small cart they certainly pack one hell of a punch. What ever you decide, i hope you have plenty of success with it. ?????????

All best

Gareth :good::good:

Edited by deputy dog

I highly recommend the V MAx range from Hornady. I use both 17 an 20 grain heads thru my Cz 452 and the gun loves them. Prices vary from place to place but usually from £26 up for 50. Though i was lucky to pick 500 rounds up for £100 on special offer from the Sportsmanguncenter. Dont worry about the different colour tips they have, its of no consequence to their performance thru the gun. Sak silencer is pretty effective for the money. As for scope well i leave that to your preference. I use Niko Game King 4+16.44 pallx Ajust with (IR). On a good day and weather permiting, i'm dropping small vermin 150yrds plus with The V MAx ammo and i usually zero for 100yrds. For a small cart they certainly pack one hell of a punch. What ever you decide, i hope you have plenty of success with it. :good::lol::)

All best

Gareth :):good:

You must be joking dont you mean £26 per 100 we are paying about £12 for 50 :yes: :yes:

I have also got a fairly new CZ varmint and i have had no problems with the Winchester Super X 20gr Gamepoints

I find these are quite hard hitting and are accurate out beyond 100 yards with ease. These are standard hollow points.

I chose the heavier round due to it moving slightly less in a crosswind, but that is always an issue with a .17hmr!

i've tried pretty much every make of Ballistic tips and they all shoot the same, never noticed any difference.

The 20gr hollowpoints i've tried are CCI and they actually group better and for longer distances - but you have more chance of ricochet and also passing straight through things.

Tried a few different types now. Previous owner of the gun recomended remmington premier gold tips 17g. And without doubt they are the best in mine. Just got 500 rounds for £ 110-00. Worth the extra few pennys to get the right ammo. Completely confident after putting in numerous 1" groups out at 150yards when the wind didn't **** about with my groups. Needless to say mr farmer is now a very happy chappy as the crafty maggies and crows are now pretty much history and hanging as a warning to others on the chicken and duck coups ! :-) I'd buy a box off 50 of each brand you can get hold off and try the lot you will have piece of mind and more confidence in your choice of kit then. Have fun pal your going to love the little hmr when its not to windy.

I'm sure I will have fun Onlyme! The trouble is that even though my FAC (With the 17 HMR added) is already winging its way back to me as I type this I will not have the time to go and collect my "new toy" till Tuesday. Now I'm sat here like a 5 year old kid waiting for Christmas - Roll on Tuesday, and I'll bet it's riddling down with rain then so even then I will not be able to get out and play! :rolleyes::):angry:

Yeah the gold tips worked great in my old rifle. They were the first I ever tried and apart from testing a few rounds of friends ammo here and there they are the only ones I used.

I'm finding the 25grn V-Max is pretty good in my Ackley Hornet. I wonder if they'll ever be loaded in the HMR? I shot a target last sunday, only at 50 yards, but they all went through the same hole and it was no bigger than a .22lr hole when I was done! :good: