FAST ASLEEP

Highlander

OK guys this is a new one on me but Sunday out shooting. Set up the decoys (pigeons and crows) on a field full of black stuff. Drove off to park the vehicle and walked back across the meadow. Walked up to within 6' of a crow on the ground fast asleep with its head under its wing. Wasn't there when I left so must have just settled and dozed off. As I stood there (unarmed) contemplating a jump and a rabbit punch to the back of its neck it turned round looked at me, squawked and flew off. Bet its old ticker was pumping. Anyone seen that before?

Nope, but I walked up to a fox curled up in a hedge once, thought it was dead and pushed it with my foot.

I'm not sure who was most surprised, but he was the one that ran away. :unsure:

I visited a friend who was pigeon shooting on a warm Summers day and when I walked up behind his hide, he was fast asleep.

I could hear him snoring as I approached.

Perhaps he was shooting those dozing crows.....................in his dreams. :yp: :D

Maybe had a hard night with the "ladybird" and was croked!

Three true stories:

1. I was on a mountian some years ago and as I put my foot down into the cover, a very starttled Hare jumped up, hit the sole of my foot, putting me off balance as he ran off, suprisingly not too fast, he just kept looking at me.

2. Again some years back, we were driving out foxes with hounds and the area surrounded with a view gunners. I was covering a gorge type lane in an old quarry. As I was at the bend in the overgrown lane, I sat down in the grass etc so I could see both ways. I heard the dog coming may way and when I heard the cover ruffle behind thought nothing much of it. A big dog fox, literally came out from under my elbow, sat down tight to my bent leg and look up and down the lane for about a good full minute or so.

He then looked me in the eye, I am not even sure that he registered me then, the hound was now just feet behind him, so he bolted, yes I was temped to let him go, but back then I was less conservative that I am now, I shot him dead.

What a great experience to have this animal so close.

3. The fox story reminded me of a funny bagger experience. I had a group away on a canoe expedition, it was the time you could camp in Crom Castle in Co. Fermanagh. It was a lovely even and I went for a nice scenic **** in the bushes. I was sitting with my rear as bare as the day I was born and had about 1/2 a load of, you know what hanging out, when I heard a noise right in tight beside me. I thought it was my Jack Russel dog and was going to shout at it to Bug**r off when I look down and it was a bagger. He sniff a bit, poor thing, hung aroung a monent or to, I think he heard my dog coming and he just woddled off in his own time.

At least in this story I can't say he scared the **** out of me, it was already too late for that :D:lol:

Isn't the "Great Outdoor" just great :unsure:

You don't get experiences like these in a shopping maul :yp:

on the way to the pond last year to feed up, there was a fox curled up asleep, next to the straw stack, my mate got out of the car walked up to it and brained it with a stick, must have been a town fox, as it only opened an eye as he stood next to it, we have a load of town foxes dropped off locally from Leeds.

i have walked up to a sleeping fox in the middle of the afternoon he was just catching some rays out in the middle of a field ,also i used to live in a cottage miles away from 'civilisation' and although i had acouple of terriers at the time a fox would come regulary in the afternoons and sleep on the flat roof of my shed. cheeky ******.

plinker

We were just finishing up on the last drive of the day a couple of years ago and all the beaters were standing around having a natter while the pickers up got on with their bit.

As we stood at the bottom of the wood a vixen appeared from the hedge carrying a hen bird in it's mouth! The birds' wing was hanging across the fox's eyes and I can only guess it couldn't see where it was going as it trotted straight past us not more than 10 yards away and disappeared up the track!!

True to form the keeper got plenty of stick with various comments being slung at him one of the best being

"you've got to be bloody desperate when you have the wildlife picking up for you!"

P

• 2 months later...

i think one of the best things about shooting is what everybody has described its the nature around while waiting for your quarry. From the humble mouse to the deer which as long as you stay still and down wind will just pass you by not a care in the world. sometimes wish i had a camera as well as the gun. :lol:

think one of the best things about shooting is what everybody has described its the nature around while waiting for your quarry. From the humble mouse to the deer which as long as you stay still and down wind will just pass you by not a care in the world. sometimes wish i had a camera as well as the gun.

Too true monkey, we all like the shot and remember or report the red letter days but often keep to ourselves the pleasures and experiences the country and wildlife give us. It would be nice to see a few more of our country experiences in the positive way reported so that we can all enjoy, who knows we may even look human and maybe a little civilised in the eyes of some of those that frown upon our sport .

I carry a camera as well as a gun now and equaly enjoy useing both when i can . :lol:

Edited by deny essex

I saw one of the three blind mice while walking around my friends wood with my AAS200, both of us had S200's and we heard a rustling, i look a few yards and a little mouse was bouncing around some leaves. Confused we watched it walking around without the care in the world, but hunters we were, my friend blasted it, after missing and the mouse still didn't care!

Anyone seen this, maybe it was very old.

MH

OK guys this is a new one on me but Sunday out shooting. Set up the decoys (pigeons and crows) on a field full of black stuff. Drove off to park the vehicle and walked back across the meadow. Walked up to within 6' of a crow on the ground fast asleep with its head under its wing. Wasn't there when I left so must have just settled and dozed off. As I stood there (unarmed) contemplating a jump and a rabbit punch to the back of its neck it turned round looked at me, squawked and flew off. Bet its old ticker was pumping. Anyone seen that before?

it may of had a bit of a cold, or flu :lol:

Walked up to within 6' of a crow on the ground fast asleep with its head under its wing.

. Anyone seen that before?

Have to say that’s a new one on me,

Sounds interesting, it’s the head under the wing that’s fascinating, what the heck was that about I wonder :D

pavman

Walked up to within 6' of a crow on the ground fast asleep with its head under its wing.

. Anyone seen that before?

Have to say that’s a new one on me,

Sounds interesting, it’s the head under the wing that’s fascinating, what the heck was that about I wonder :D

pavman

Could it have been to keep the sun out of its eyes while haveing a snooze :):lol::lol: