punishment for pups

chris o

just wanderd what is the best way to let a pup know its done wrong with out hitting it? i know he only a pup but i would like to know so when he does wrong he will understand? i dont believe in hitting him as no animal should be hit. i thought little taps on his hind to get his attention and raising my tone a bit is this correct?

how do you guys do it?

can you help me to increase some knoledge.

many thanks

chris

holding the pup to the floor around the neck is a good punishment when he's being naughty - this is what the mother does when pups are acting up.

If your pup does something and you want to scare the living bajesus out of him, hold him round the scruff, bring him to face level, and bare all your teeth a growl, this will be completly ineffective on an older dog, but to the younger ones, it can be a good method to make him think twice in the future. Only ever do this a few times, though.

My dog loves water, but a small glass of water (literally a drop or two) in his face with an assertive 'NO' and he knows he's done wrong.

Alternatively you can try quickly putting him in his bed and every time he tries to leave he's told 'NO' and put back. Fortunately for me I've got a hole under the staircase where the dog always sleeps. He's not allowed to leave when he's done wrong and he knows exactly why he's there.

Edited by harfordwmj

i dont think the replies are too bad, you do need to keep control, show them who's boss (without being cruel). i know with the rotties all i had to do was shout and id have them both cowering. not something i brag about but its a good thing with big dogs.

anyway what age of pup are we talking about? and whats it done? something bad, like chewed up a £500 handbag, or p'ed on the floor?

I only start training pup's at 8-10 month's.

If they are deliberatley acting up, a good firm grip under the neck and a good shake does it..

But usually it's not the pup acting up. But "lack" of knowing what you want it to do.

(the above statement does not apply to springer's :angry: )

Tonal inflection should be enough for all but the most stubborn pups. Those can be admonished by a light flick with a rope leash or tea towel. Just enough to let him know or get his attention. As with all punishment and praise it has to be instantly applied.

I've used the neck pin to good effect in the past. Mind you, he was an adult, bolshy, five-and-a-half stone GSD police dog. :angry:

Physical punishment is a no no and very much a last resort. I have only ever used the neck pin where there is some sort of domination issue between me and the dog ie he's trying it on and thinks he's in charge of me. I must have done that only ever once or twice in a couple of years of having the dog.

Aside from that, just use your tone of voice to punish. My dogs recognise a disappointed tone in my voice when they've done wrong and it is far more effective than shouting. If you catch a dog in the act of doing something wrong, then a stern "NO" will suffice with a tap (v.light tap) on the nose if necessary.

he is 10 weeks it not he done any thing major i just want him to know he done wrong but to enshore i dont scare him the neck pin i found out about when watching the dog whisperer on sky three but have not done it with him only thought about it.

but thouht it would not be right.

the main things he does wrong is getting on the furniture when not told he can and i try to stop this by getting his scruff and putting him on the floor and saying no and bad puppy no name mentioned.

and also he try nipping people on the face and chewing on the furniture when he is out side when i take him out for a pee and play he is resonably behaved other then biting the plants and eating them.

Chris don't take this the wrong way but the number and type of posts your making is frankly quite scary. Your pup is very young its too young to train properly and needs to be allowed to be a pup for a while as that brings out their character and defines what they will be like as an adult dog. You need to get some books on dogs and puppies and read them quickly. At the moment a tap on the nose and a firm no should suffice but expecting to train it completely at 3 months old is fairly bonkers

My Springers also love the Mrs plants in the garden :innocent::rolleyes:

I dont often have my dogs in the lounge but when i do i expect them to sit at my feet, deff not allowed on the furniture

Just look at it from a point of a couple of years time when you are out in the hide pigeon shooting, where will you want your dog...on your lap or at your feet :whistling:

My spaniel is sat at my side on the settee as I type. When I take her fishing or shooting she doesn't try and sit in my chair or on my knee. She simply lays down at my left hand side. When I'm walking with the air rifle she stays at my side ignoring pheasants and partridge. When I'm beating on the same land she'll readily flush the same game. If I'm carrying my gun she naturally remains at heel. If I'm carrying my fishing rods she'll naturally run about. However, when I'm fly-fishing a small river and go into 'stalk' mode so does she.

I don't think that people give dogs credit for knowing right from wrong.

I don't think that people give dogs credit for knowing right from wrong.

I totally agree with you, and you have obviously put a lot of hard work in with your dog, and perhaps got a bit lucky with a good dog? Of my two labs, one is a proper retard! He knows right from wrong, he knows all the commands I give him and quite often is a great dog. But if he decides he wants to do something else, then there is no stopping him, regardless of the consequences for him.....usually simply putting him back on the lead and engaging with him anymore

Poor handler skills are nearly always to blame for 'naughty' dogs, that was certainly the case for me! You see it all the time, owners getting frustrated and beating their dogs, shouting at them from a distance expecting the dogs to be bothered!

Books are great for reading about dog handling skills, but they don't show you what you're doing wrong, and how you are confusing your dog. I'd recommend seeking out a good local dog trainer. If you can get solid stop and recall commands then you'll likely end up with a good dog.

The dog has hardly lost the umbilical cord so dont get paranoid about it.Let the thing have a bit leeway.I personally like dogs to build character and a good bond with their boss i.e YOU.If you have a dog that wants to please you will get more and better results than a dog that acts like a robot because it HAS to.

IMO all dogs are different and what works for one wont work for another.Most dogs will respond to your tone of voice and others need a smack on the backside now and again.(Before the lefty brigade on here start frothing at the mouth,i dont mean beat it to within an inch of its life)The dog shouldnt be scared of you but it should know you are the pack leader and should treat you that way.

all dogs are different...you want tobe able to use a full range of methods....Separation is a strong one for some dogs, then voice, then a tap or shake/water spray, then a more physical action [again last resort and only rarely used]...

consistency and making everything fun/enjoyable for both of you are the main points i think...but sometimes a firm hand is needed

hope it all works out...