Shooting Fleece

deadeye ive

I'm after a lightweight fleece jacket to wear on a driven shoot day .Plenty of windproof and in some cases waterproof examples out there But i'm after what is the most popular choice and would appreciate responses from those that actually have the clothing or have seen some out in the field so to speak

Cheers

:good: .

Depends on your budget really - Napier make a nice fleece with zipped sleeves so you can use it as a shooting vest for warmer days. Its called a Chiltern. Good quality for the price - you can get them under £60 on ebay.

Or if you want a waterproof shell-type fleece, then Laksen do one very light, windproof warm - again around £60 or so.

Of course, Beretta and Musto make nice, albeit pricey fleeces too.

I have a Barbour Dunmoor Shooting Fleece

And it's great!

http://www.dvtownend.com/prodpage.asp?ProdID=52

Now we know how garyb hit that pigeon at 72 yards: he'd been warming the cartridges up in his fleece. However, he's right, they really are superb and have a double ended zip (which many don't) which is handy for sitting - especially in the car.

• 2 months later...

Well

I have to say The barbour dunmoor was truly a lovely Jacket to wear and at £140 it should be .Sadly though the only time I wore it on a shoot the cartridge pocket failed exposing the inner lining so I returned it back to the shop this weekend for a full cash refund .

I suppose this is a case of not getting what you pay for .

Jack Pyke are looking good for a third of the price :)

I have been looking for a similar type of thing so i will let you know what i have found:

Musto- to short in the body for me and im only 6 foot 1 but it meant the pockets were uncomfortably high for fast reloding and i would have got a cold belly and it was a similar story on the sleeves.

Barbour: seems good my dad and granddad wear them and rate them just unlucky you had a quality control issue

Schoffel: My personal favourite very comfy, plenty long in the body and have a name i feel i can trust but the pockets aren't as big as the other two. Non the less this is what i will be buying for next season.

George

i've go two waterproof fleece's ones a jack pyke in olive green which is windproof too payed £30 for it, the other my mother in-law got me for christmas its made by sherwood it's a nicer quality fleece than the jack pyke although neither have large cartridge type pockets but if you've got a cartridge belt its not an issue. think the sherwood was £35

My wife swears by her Musto one - windproof not waterproof with nice big pockets but I agree they are a bit short in the body.

I have a Sasta one which is fairy lightweight and warm but the pockets are a bit small. The other one is a Beretta which is also windproof, thin but very warm with bigger pockets but not as robust as the Sasta one.

My advice is buy one which at least windproof as they can make them with a thinner material but still keep you warm.

I've got two Musto, both heavyweight jobs. One is three years old and the other about a year and a half. Zips are top draw, if there is a weak point on a fleece it's usually a **** zip. I recently bought a lightweight Seeland for about £20 and it is very good. Fits under a jacket. Long in the arm and fits the paunch belly. :unsure: