Tumbling pigeons

Some of you guys may have notice this before I have witinessed on many days out.

The birds are very high and when all of a sudden tumble from a couple of hundred feet up hit the deck and jink and weave .

Do you think this is due to being over shot or maybe its the farmer running a couple of rifle rounds over them??.

Regards over the hill

I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago, garyb was waiting patiently with his 20 bore for the beaters to flush the pheasants, when this woodie shot across the wood in front, straight for him, it was going like a bat out of hell with the wind up its rear end, I reckon about 70 yards up, gary swung through and literally poleaxed it with the little 20g, you should have seen that one tumble..........like a housebrick.!! :lol:

It was no fluke, on the very next drive, he did the same on a cock pheasant, it was so high it had it's oxygen mask on, I thought, "He's never going to kill that one".........boom, one shot, down it came, what a corker..!! :lol:

Cat.

I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago, garyb was waiting patiently with his 20 bore for the beaters to flush the pheasants, when this woodie shot across the wood in front, straight for him, it was going like a bat out of hell with the wind up its rear end, I reckon about 70 yards up, gary swung through and literally poleaxed it with the little 20g, you should have seen that one tumble..........like a housebrick.!! :lol:

It was no fluke, on the very next drive, he did the same on a cock pheasant, it was so high it had it's oxygen mask on, I thought, "He's never going to kill that one".........boom, one shot, down it came, what a corker..!! :lol:

Cat.

this thread needs videos :lol:

garyb was waiting patiently with his 20 bore for the beaters to flush the pheasants, when this woodie shot across the wood in front, straight for him, it was going like a bat out of hell with the wind up its rear end, I reckon about 70 yards up, gary swung through and literally poleaxed it with the little 20g,

Cat.

Shot at a Pigeon before the first game bird? Tut tut :|

No, somebody further down the line had already shot at a hen bird.

We observe strictly correct etiquette on all of our shoots. :D

Cat.

Glad to hear it.

We had an interesting species under the 'various' category on my shoot the other week. Somebody (me) attempt to drive our new (well new to us it's a circa 1980 ex army truck) gun bus managed to prang a Range Rover with it. :| I tried to make the case that it was only pricked but everybody else voted for it to go in the bag.

As you can imagine I will be reminded of this until somebody else does something more stupid!

Andrew

There are breeds of pigeons that do things like that called "Tumblers". I have some of these Rollers once, they are amazing, they drop 30feet at 40mile an hour.!!

There is a national and worldwide club for this breed of Pigeon and they hold competitions for them.

I used to be a glass engraver and I engraved the trophies for the societies.

http://www.allenglandrollerclub.co.uk/

http://www.allenglandrollerclub.co.uk/apps...ham-dexters-kit

Edited by KFC

I hate it as well and especially when people do it on a partridge day, however we have had beaters days where you all bung a tenner in the pot and it goes to whoever shoots the first pigeon now that can be hard to resist. The birds that are high and fall down as though poleaxed show you're lead is spot on and can often just be one pellet to the head.

Some of you guys may have notice this before I have witinessed on many days out.

The birds are very high and when all of a sudden tumble from a couple of hundred feet up hit the deck and jink and weave .

Do you think this is due to being over shot or maybe its the farmer running a couple of rifle rounds over them??.

Regards over the hill

hia, i use ta breed and race racing pigeons for a few years and i think the pigeons you see that tumble are actually young pigeons, they seem to do this fast flying and tumbling act up to a year old then they stop doing it ,