.22 s/a or bolt action???

wabbitbosher

Theoretically...

B/A's are slightly more accurate.

You should only need one shot if you are doing your job properly

From what I have seen - please correct me if you disagree - S/A's seem to occupy the lower end of the market price wise, and need some tickering to get going well?

S/A's have a bit more in them to go wrong and can sometimes be ammo fussy.

So as you may have gathered, I have a B/A and prefer it to a Semi, although it is good fun emptying 30 rounds into a target at 50 yards while the range officer is stood behind you with his hands on his hips muttering something about 'indescriminate fire' And that was when I was a guest at my mates club! :P:lol:

But I am sure there are similar arguements for S/A's from the users on this forum.

basically, the problems are reliability, if you go for a budget one say under £400 it wont cycle 100% reliably maybe 95% (but that 5% of mess ups is always in the back of your head) your options would be a marlin ruger or remington (these are the 3 main contenders) the remington would be my choice its just as unreliable as the others but has a slightly better trigger than them. now this is the point where a 10/22 owner cuts in and say but for £50 you can get a trigger upgrade and blah blah blah..... this isnt a standard gun, and to get a really good semi, say with the trigger quality and reliability of a bolt action, your looking at around the £700 mark.

they also require cleaning after every outting, and are fussy on what type of bullets cartridges they will cycle properly.

to be honest spend £ 400 on a anshutz or £450 on a sako, or spend £250 on a cz 452 (this is where i eat my words, becuase they NEED a trigger kit, which costs £12.50 and can be fitted by joe bloggs)

semi auto in my opinion is not worth it unless you shoot competitions where it is a siginificant advantage over its bolt actioned equivalent.

the long and short of it is....to get a good semi you need to spend more money than you would for a similar quality bolt action.

If this is your budget then a s/h BRNO 2E or CZ 452 will do you fine. Yes the trigger is poor but when you have £12.50 kicking about you can get it done, in the meantime you will still hit what you aim at if you aim straight and can pull the 4.5lb trigger.

I was able to buy a new style model (nickel/synth).

I have read good reviews of the Magtech semi though ?

I'd also say it depends on the rabbit population where you're shooting - where I am there's tens of thousands of bunnies literally sitting around my feet. With my semi (10/22 with loads of mods, but never jams :lol: ) I need to be able to shoot fast, and not waste time reloading.

I have a bolt action CZ too, for when I'm sniping them at longer ranges and in less numbers. Only modification on that is the trigger job £8, from the USA - cos I'm a tight ****** :P

I've heard good reviews of the Magtech semi. Just over £100 new, reliable and not needing any modifications either. I have no first hand experience of them though.

John

P.S make sure you apply to get a sound moderator

Buy one of each Wabbitbosher

The 22 BA for popping off the rarebits and pretending your sniper at 40 yards :P:lol::lol: and the tricked up Ruger, sorry VQ and every other after market bit added on for having a play about in the field

Remmingtons are ****

Don't know owt about Marlins, propably **** as well

Rugers are **** but not as **** as the others. You've got to see the Ruger as a blank canvas, very blank and build it up from there

How accurate do you want a rimfire to be at 50yards ?

"22lr: 5shot groups- under .375" @ 50yds using match ammo"

< VQ The best>

Link below to some very nice looking semi auto Rugers, well whats left of them :D

If your student still getting pocket money from Mummy and Daddy- Dream on :D

< Not for students without pocket money>

Edited by jonno 357

If this is your budget then a s/h BRNO 2E or CZ 452 will do you fine. Yes the trigger is poor but when you have £12.50 kicking about you can get it done, in the meantime you will still hit what you aim at if you aim straight and can pull the 4.5lb trigger.

I was able to buy a new style model (nickel/synth).

I have read good reviews of the Magtech semi though ?

From what I've seen (sorry if I'm wrong) the Magtech's are based on a Ruger action? Or at least one that looks identical?

If Magtechs(Cheap and Cheerful) are like their ammo that is suppose to be GOOD then they are UTTER SHI*E.

Apart from filing (Yes i know what i'm doing )my own trigger pull down on my 10/22 i have made no mods whatso ever ..........after all it's primary use is a hunting gun to which it carries out that role most successfully .

What a semmi auto does do though over a bolt action is EXPOSE **** AMMONITION far easier ..................Good stuff cycles beautifully through my gun as they are tempermental .

Don't get the extended ammo mag and blast away with cci's minimags though as my own gun is showing signs of WEAR, YES wear as a reult of my abuse towards it .Its still a good gun for the money and yes i would buy another one but if funds are no object my personal choice is the SAKO FINNFIRE .

Cheers Ive

Ive got a cz452, and havnt changed it one bit. the trigger is a bit heavy, but I have found worse!! I too toyed with the idea of a ruger but most people seemed to put it down as inaccurate and unreliable. wouldnt say no if someone offered me the chance to fire one though!

I have a .22 semi auto and apart from firing a lot more carts than is necessary it works fine, what you'll find is you'll fire a shot miss and the rabbit moves on then you fire again and the rabbit is now running and because you can you chase it with shots even when you now can't properly aim on it you keep going, what a waste.........this doesn't happen all the time of course :huh:

What they are good for is if you come across the odd close in fox and I use this term lightly as there is much controversy on this subject, you can pump a couple of shots into it quite quickly which usually does the trick eh!

Summary: Get a B/A and save money and leave the foxes to the bigger boys.

I too toyed with the idea of a ruger but most people seemed to put it down as inaccurate and unreliable. wouldnt say no if someone offered me the chance to fire one though!

Nowt wrong with the gun sarge,,,,,,,,,just the operator :*) :*) ,I speak from experience. :lol:

All guns are good and accurate if you find the right ammo to suit the particular model .....Alas Human beings are a different kettle of fish though :huh:

Cheers Ive

but at the end of the day the 10/22 will not cycle every type of ammo, where as say a 452 will, they are not disimilar ammounts of money, if anything the 452 is cheaper, and they are both pretty much as accurate as each other (more down to ammo choice than the gun)

so if you want as near 100% reliability get a bolt action.

given time and money, curiosity will get the better of you and you will buy one and then get your own opinion on it, but be warned you either love them or you hate them.

but at the end of the day the 10/22 will not cycle every type of ammo, where as say a 452 will, they are not disimilar ammounts of money, if anything the 452 is cheaper, and they are both pretty much as accurate as each other (more down to ammo choice than the gun)

so if you want as near 100% reliability get a bolt action.

given time and money, curiosity will get the better of you and you will buy one and then get your own opinion on it, but be warned you either love them or you hate them.

So now you've got all the info you desire :huh::lol::lol::lol::D

Edited by jonno 357

WB: Unless you get a LH Bolt Action you're still gonna get a case going across your vision but probably not too much of an issue neither is a S/A though. Being a lefty myself I shot the father in laws Ruger 10/22 the other week at some bunnies and it wasn't a problem the only issue I had was that if my right hand wasn't low enough I was stopping the cases being ejected.

Having read all the info on here and shooting his the other week I now want some land so I can get my FAC and a rimmy as it was good fun.

Cheers,

Ben

i pay £3 abox for .22 what do any one else pay.thats cci

Mossy

Ammo prices can vary quite a lot from shops to shops.

You tend to find when one shop has the monopoly for a large area the prices tend to be on the high side

Example or what you pay in West Yorkshire

CCI sub HP £4.40 (100)

CCI standard velocity solid 40gr £4.50 (100)

CCI SV Comp green tag solid £9.20 (100)

CCI HV mini mag Copper HP 36gr £4.40 (100)

CCI HV Blazer solid 40gr £2.90 (100)

CCI Stingers £7.00 (100)

CCI velocitor Gold dot £6.90 (100)

If you buy bulk, prices per 100 is even cheaper

I buy 1000 CCI velocitor Gold dot, 1000 Remington Hyper velocity yellow jacket 33gr truncated cone 33gr Hollow point

Thats costs me £65 for the CCI and £40 for the Remington

Jonno

I read yesterday that BRNO 452's are now available in 16" Carbine, without measuring mine (ooo err missus!) I don't know how long they used to be?

OK so they are currently 20" so they have chopped 4" off the end and there is no drop in velocity (apparently)

A 16" barrel is going to much easier to swing about inside a vehicle even with a moderator on the end - I want one :huh: anyone want to buy a 20" 452??