Fox Cartidges

Lez325

can anyone recommend a hard hitting Fox cartridge-Ive been so close on more then one occasion but only having No6 - 32's in the gun I held my shot

so what do you guys use for such an occasion :yes:

I know a rifle is better suited and I have one for the job- but wanted to get up close and personal with this particular chicken snatcher

Les :P

Edited by Lez325

If all else fails, let it have it with the 6's. The first fox I shot was at about 30 yards and I dropped it stone dead with 32gm 6's, and only one barrel. I like to use 3's or 4's for foxes but my gun is only 2 1/2" :blink: Let us know how you get on anyway :oops:

I always keep a couple of no 1s 50gm 3" carts in my pocket in case of a fox or the odd geese. Paid off yesterday as I couldn't belive it a decent skien of pinks flew straight over me pretty low which seemed strange as it was a clear windless day . Plenty of time to slot in a 3" cart and drop the lead goose! Nice.

I've shot quite a few foxes before while out rough shooting with 7's or 71/2's but obviously I wouldn't recommend these as a reliable fox shell. I have 2 favourites that I use when we are hunting cover for foxes. Firstly RC40 Special Semi Magnum number 2's and secondly Fiocchi Semi Magnum number 3's once again 40gram. I have shot a lot of foxes with these. If I was to recommend a 3" shell it would have to be Winchester Super Speed number 2's.

I have never used anything larger than number 2's while foxing and I have killed a lot of foxes.

les, iv droped fox with 21 gram what ever in the gun go for it.

I was thinking it would be more humane to use a larger load - I hate foxes witha passion and its legal in Avon & Someret area to take them with a 17 HMR- however the Fox problem is on land thats not cleared for Rimfire / Centre fire- hence my post ref shotgun loads

I have a good fox caller and plan to call him in to within 30-40 yards before taking the shot

Les :yes:

odds are you won't see him when you're out with the proper cartridges however on chance encounters sub 30 yards 6's do fine. I've shot a fair few on pheasant shoots and you don't get time to change cartridges so just stay as still as possible let him come as close as you can and then go for it

Ive just returned from my RFD all he had to sell were Lyalvale Express Max Game - these are BB 36 grams- so I bougt a box for £8

see how I get on with these- I went over this land last night around 5pm without a shotgun or rifle- I called him in to within 20 yards - just standing by the hen house in Mossy Oak camo- I just stood behiond a small (4ft) Gorse bush and he ran right up to me- I stopped squeeking and he wandered off down the track - I could have shot him easily- the Lamp did not seem to put him off in any way :yes:

so here hoping I can do the same tomorrow afternoon- was going out an hour or so before dark

Les :)

Edited by Lez325

Thats what i use-although i've only actually had two foxes,but they're an effective cartridge all the same.

Lets hope I get the chance to use them-

Ive asked my FEO to have a look at this land - hoping he;ll clear it for Rimfire / Centrefire- then Mr Fox will be up **** Creek

Les :good::):lol: