"red" rant

stubby

following on from my last comment, I HATE MIDDLE LANE HOGGERS ! there i feel better now, they are to unpredictable. heres one for you then, what about vehicle users who indicate when no ones about, good habit or unaware of other road users near or around them ?

I think its a reasonable habit but is often argued that you should be aware of everything around you.. people are however erm - human (generally) so indicating anyway seems reasonable.

-adp

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lane discipline

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

[Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9 & 16(1)(a), MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 14(1)(a), and RTA 1988, sects 35 & 186, as amended by TMA 2004 sect 6]

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...ycode/DG_069862

I think its a reasonable habit but is often argued that you should be aware of everything around you.. people are however erm - human (generally) so indicating anyway seems reasonable.

-adp

I know what your saying adp, but if you indicate to a vehicle that isnt there, would it be fair to say that persons observation skills are somewhat lacking.

I know what your saying adp, but if you indicate to a vehicle that isnt there, would it be fair to say that persons observation skills are somewhat lacking.

Yup.. However having people indicate at all would be a good starting point! What does that funny stick near the steering wheel do again?

I generally assume people don't have much observation at all - riding a motorbike for the last 10 years has pretty much confirmed that!

-adp

following on from my last comment, I HATE MIDDLE LANE HOGGERS ! there i feel better now, they are to unpredictable. heres one for you then, what about vehicle users who indicate when no ones about, good habit or unaware of other road users near or around them ?

I would say they are on Auto Pilot, if they had better observation skills they would know when it was useful to give an indication, and pointless in others - why indicate when there is no one to advise :blush:?

Observation is key, improve this and your driving standards will also improve. In order to react to a situation, you have to have 'observed it' in the first place.

You would fail your driving test if you did not indicate no matter if any other

road users about or not... :blush:

When I did my HGV a month or two back the instructor specifically said not to indicate if nothing following as no need, BUT to check and double check the mirrors. Good advice for car drivers also IMO.

What harm can indicating to no one do...not like its running up a bill :blush: ...I do it out of habit ....but its a better habit than not bothering at all ...cant stand it when you waiting to get out of a junction and someone just turns off without letting you know when you could have got out ....makes me want to chase them run them off the road and rip their throats out with my teeth .....fortunatly I drive medicated and in a straight jacket nowadays

No manners once they get in a car some folk

Edited by PWD

People do get very angry nowadays, there is a region in the brain that 'flicks' and people are unable to think as rationally as normal for a temporary period.

This does not mean they are 'mental,' or are unsafe with a shotgun whilst on a clay shoot or a permission, neither does it mean that they would (if carrying guns in the boot) get them out and give the other driver the Good News. Though it is not impossible.

The reality is that we have all done things of which we are not proud, that might be anything from a petty argument with the wife, to something more serious.

When people realise that 'not being upset' and 'not being offended' are more about your attitude rather than what any culture or Government can legislate for the better. Not in my lifetime I fear.

:good:

What harm can indicating to no one do...not like its running up a bill :lol: ...I do it out of habit ....but its a better habit than not bothering at all ...cant stand it when you waiting to get out of a junction and someone just turns off without letting you know when you could have got out ....makes me want to chase them run them off the road and rip their throats out with my teeth .....fortunatly I drive medicated and in a straight jacket nowadays

No manners once they get in a car some folk

My number 1 pet hate behind the wheel. I've developed my mouthing of the word ****** so well Mr Magoo could read my lips from 2 counties over :D

Edited by Axe
Remove searing

and dont get me started on bus lanes

how many people cant read those blue "manditory" signs

it amazes me, two lanes throughout most of london, left lane red tarmac, most and I mean 99% of traffic wont drive on the left, they stay in the right hand land, now at 4pm in the afternoon, thats correct, but the bus lane signs are there for a reason, they have times printed on them, as to when they are or are not bus lanes, most stop being a bus lane after 7pm until 5am in the morning, yet plonkers still disregaurd these signs and drive in the righthand lane, again, causing congestion, no ammount of "flashing your lights" will make them move over, as, as far as they are concerned its a bus lane

Why was she texting? Stubby is a mint bloke so don't jump the gun (so to speak) I bet if you's two wanted advice he would give it

Stubby may be a top bloke out of a car but he sounds a bit of an idiot behind a wheel!

So the woman was texting on her phone and this gives Stubby the right to overtake then slam on his brakes! Had she then panicked, swerved crashed and died I suppose you'd think she deserved what she got!!

I drive the motorways every day to and from work and I get to see enough idiots on the roads, the people driving (hogging) the middle lanes are the least dangerous.

I see what your saying but when I was taught to drive, I was told if someone behind was driving dangerously, eg too close or swerving over the road, to touch my brakes a couple of times to make them concentrate on the traffic ahead. I know stubby slammed his brakes on but I wud have done the same, if it meant she dropped her phone and concentrated on her driving rather than txting for the rest of the journey, job done. :good:

Total ******.

So your driving instructor told you that if the person in front is driving carelessly you have to overtake and do the same to them? Its not your job to police road laws is it.

WHAT!!!! READ the highway code again bud!!!!!..........

It's a common misconception that the Highway Code is the equivilent of transport law, it is not. I bet there is no-one on here who has not fractured the occasional law, when it comes to driving.

In fact, how many of these critics have got or had points on their licence. If so, you are not in a position to criticise anyone.

Phil

I always drive in the middle lane 'cos lane 1 is for lorries :good:

Hmmmph.....bloomin typical!!!!.....

My godness me so many Volvos lovers on one post :hmm:

I wonder what a load of Volvo owners would be called :lol:

I dont have blue lights on mine. But i have been known to carry the odd policeman on my bonnet.

Dont worry he wasnt hurt. :lol:

xxxxSuzy

Pensioners outing.......

sorry Suzy... :D

shaun

I have traveled the A13 from M25 to Dagenham around 0530 on various days of the week working shifts for 15 years and some years back just to see if it was possible I stuck the car in cruise at 55mph and sat in the inside lane until I turned off at Dagenham. I passed 22 cars all in the middle and outside lanes. What the **** where they doing in the two outer lanes at a speed less than 55!!?? OK its now actually illegal to undertake but when I did this "experiment" they hadnt introduced the law for undertaking although I could have probably been done for driving without due care or something. Another of my pet peeves is Tailgating maybe not tailgating but driveing to close to the car in front. This is one of the main reasons for those curious traffic jams you encounter on busy dual carrigeways and motorways you know the ones I mean slow down to a crawl or stop then pull away again and never seem to come across an accident or breakdown. Oh well non of us are perfick but some of the drivers out there shoud not be in charge of a kiddys scooter let alone a car.

Sodit

This seems to have opened a big can of worms!! As the lucky one who gets to drive the Big red truck with the flashy blue lights and the neee naaarr noise and come and cut you lot out when it all goes wrong Id just like to remind everyone that "we all make mistakes, this is how we learn" and hopefully both partys will have learnt alot from this. Neither partys behaviour was ideal but its all in the past now! When i trained to drive on blue lights we were taught to use time and space to our advantage. Create space for yourself by not rushing and pushing through. Even on the way to a house fire with persons reported you need to keep calm and composed. Dont let the actions of others affect your concentration and treat everyone as if they havent noticed you or are going to do something stupid... which often they do! Dont get frustrated if people are holding you up. Its better to arive in one peice 30 seconds later than not to arive at all. When i turn out as a fire appliance driver I look at it that i am driving a taxi and a toolbox. We need the passangers and the equipment to get there in one peice and if that means we have to be paitent then thats what we do!

It's a common misconception that the Highway Code is the equivilent of transport law, it is not. I bet there is no-one on here who has not fractured the occasional law, when it comes to driving.

In fact, how many of these critics have got or had points on their licence. If so, you are not in a position to criticise anyone.

Phil

Nice one Phil you beat me to it about the highway code and traffic law bit :yes: oh and what anyone might think with a name like chopper i haven't got or had any points on my licence, which ive had for 25 years, yeeeeeeehaaaaaa !

####head just the same to me this week, cut in front of me and jumped on his brakes, while I am driving a 44 tonne artic loaded with steel, in these temperature, I'm lucky the whole lot didn't jon me in the cab! It might be less dangerous to hit the back of the car if it happens again, well for me at least