What happens if you see this whilst out lamping?

SSS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it wasn't charging me down with very obvious intentions of giving me a good scratching and a bit of a chew, I would not fire.

Lets face it, most of us do not have the hardware that big game hunters use on this sort of quarry. I am pretty sure that the old adrenaline and shakes would kick in and were you to fluff the shot with a ridiculously underpowered gun then you are in a worse situation than if you had not fired at all. If you have a seriously miffed off big cat that's just been clipped by a rifle round coming at you, cycling the bolt and chambering another round on a scoped deer rifle before firing another (aimed) shot is going to take valuable time that the cat will have closed in on you during.

I would hate to hear a story of someone unleashing 2 barrels of 6's at a ****** off pussy for it only to limp back off into the undergrowth. An injured big cat will be a very very dangerous creature to livestock and people alike.

FM :good:

The chances of it happening is so slim but, if it was coming at me, on full throttle, I would be ******** myself so much, I dont think I would be able to point the gun. Maybe in the right direction but not accurately. If it was in shotgun range, which is pretty close, and I fired 2 shots and missed, my bumhole would twitch. No matter how fast people are at reloading, a big cat running flat out, 30 yards away is going to be on top of us before we know it! :good:

I remember my father telling me of an old colonial gentleman he knew in India during the war who shot hundreds of big cats during his lifetime.He was famous worldwide for his often quoted saying "shoot em between the eyes".He was eventually killed by two one-eyed tigers walking arm in arm.

"If it was me..... And it was coming for me....... Pull the trigger of whatever i had in my hand as fast as i possobly could. As earlier noted, it may mean losing your licence, but its a fair trade for keeping your life."

That'll work as long as your not answering a call of nature,

You may confuse it enough to make your escape.

I once read a book on big cats in the u.k. (after what I can only describe as a "possible" sighting), apparently years ago, 50s/60s iirc, a law was changes on keeping them and some ended up getting released, a few years later after all the sightings etc big game hunters were tasked with tracking it down and killing it, now a load of "our kind" jumped on the bandwagon with their rifles etc - what did the expert say?

"nothing you guys in britain are allowed will be any use, shoot it with a .243 or even a .308 and it'll just keep coming - and you'll be dead" or words to that effect, I think unless it was coming for me I'd walk the other way as quickly and quietly as possible - otherwise, it'd get all I had to offer and in the case of the 12b, I'd do my best to wait until it was just a few yards away before giving it both in the throat/head - quite impressive what a shotty'll do at that range!

I once read a book on big cats in the u.k. (after what I can only describe as a "possible" sighting), apparently years ago, 50s/60s iirc, a law was changes on keeping them and some ended up getting released, a few years later after all the sightings etc big game hunters were tasked with tracking it down and killing it, now a load of "our kind" jumped on the bandwagon with their rifles etc - what did the expert say?

"nothing you guys in britain are allowed will be any use, shoot it with a .243 or even a .308 and it'll just keep coming - and you'll be dead" or words to that effect, I think unless it was coming for me I'd walk the other way as quickly and quietly as possible - otherwise, it'd get all I had to offer and in the case of the 12b, I'd do my best to wait until it was just a few yards away before giving it both in the throat/head - quite impressive what a shotty'll do at that range!

Hmmm well the legendary elephant hunter, Karamojo Bell, shot all his elephants with a 6.5x55, and as far as I know, an elephant is bigger than ANY big cat

Easy-fire couple of shots above its head and it will run off.All animals are frightened of gunshot.

So how do you explain the film on U tube of the Lion hunt where they are shooting may rifles and rounds at the Lion, but contrary to your theory, the Lion does the opposite and charges right at them and knocks one of the hunters down :good::/:yes:

News to me. What proof are you refering to?

ZB

There was people in britain at the time of the licence for dangerous animals came in who confessed to setting the big cats free after they couldnt obtain the licence required, search on google and theres a piece i believe from defra.

I think the thing we all should bear in mind is that even in their 'foreign' native habitat the cat as in the OP original post historically shies away from humans - they have a natural fear of us - except when defending their young.

Personally I beleive they are in the UK and for me, if I was out lamping and saw one I would feel priveledged to have seen it and in the unlikely event I thought it was too close to me one shout and it would be gone - just like a fox.

It could be an age thing though regarding what you would do - the young want to do the gunfight at OK Coral and the older people the David Attenborogh Life on Earth - Hm....... I'm with David :oops: