general licences - new additions

;) just read through this years new general licences from natural england & was a little surprised at a couple of the new additions..... how many wild parakeets do we have in the uk? ;)???

... anyone know if there are any general licences available for mammals? (rabbit, hare, rat etc...)

There are thousands of Ring Necked Parakeets wild in the South East, with a high proportion around West London / Middlesex and into that side of Surrey.

... anyone know if there are any general licences available for mammals? (rabbit, hare, rat etc...)

General licences apply only to birds. All wild birds are protected and killing them is against the law, unless you have a licence to do so - hence the general licence and any other licences that you may require to control birds e.g. gamekeepers apply for licences to cull buzzards, fisheries apply for licences to cull cormorants, etc.

The above does not apply to mammals, therefore there are no general licences for them.

There are any number or theories as to how these parakeets got into the wild. You need to bear in mind they have been growing in numbers for a very long time.

The two I like from round here are:

They were pets belonging to Jimmy Hendrix and he got stoned and let them out.

They were on a set at Shepperton Studios, involved in a film shoot for The Who when they were accidently released.

I wonder if anyone really knows! ???

It's been said, and there are a LOT in certain parts of the country, they make a hell of a din, and a hell of a mess and cause a lot of destruction as they move around areas, usually in some mass!

I can understand the post though, I struggled the first time I saw them, but the novelty soon wears off!

Surprised me to see them on the licence this year though, it also surprised me Egyptian Geese were being considered!

As of 1st January Egyptian Geese are on the list :good: We have an abundance of them round us!

Unfortunately only one of the licences though.....

The licence for conserving wild birds.

Bit silly I think really, Natural England seem determined to make things more complicated than they need to be!

Jobs for the boys!! :welcomeani::yes::rolleyes:

General licences apply only to birds. All wild birds are protected and killing them is against the law, unless you have a licence to do so - hence the general licence and any other licences that you may require to control birds e.g. gamekeepers apply for licences to cull buzzards, fisheries apply for licences to cull cormorants, etc.

The above does not apply to mammals, therefore there are no general licences for them.

:unsure: so how do you explain there being a general licence for edible doormice?

We have a lot of "parrots" as they are called around here (NW London) they seem to favour living around the shopping centres and the towns rather than the more rural areas. Presumably they are decended from escapees originally.

SNAP! But I used to see soooo many over the heathrow area!!! Still get quite a few around middlesex, and stretching out to berks / bucks!!

Cant say that I have ever attempted to shoot one though........... my little brother tried to catch one once!!