Which .243

Beardo

Finnlight or Pro Mountain II  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which .243

• Sako Finnlight Fluted
    • Steyr Pro Mountain II

I have the Steyr in 243, had it for nearly 2 years and find it an excellent rifle.

Safety mechanisum excellent.

Build quality very good, the bolt is extremely smooth to operate.

Stock is lightweight and the Model II solved the flex issue and I get same POI from bipod or sticks.

Trigger is OK and I use the set trigger most when foxing or stalking if I have time.

Likes federal 100gr powershok ammo though I load myself with a 75gr Vmax for foxing where I can get sub inch at 100 yards. Longest witnessed shot was a vixen and a tad under 300 yards at night under the lamp.

All in all I find it a very accuarte rifle if I do my bit behind the scope.

Edited by sandersj89

Sauer all day long.

Someone who doesn't have one and who hasn't fired one will be along to tell you that you will be wasting your money on one.

Have a go on my .25-06 (do all calibre). You will want one and RARMS has one for sale on here which he can't shift because it's too much - he'll take an offer I'm sure :good:

£1500 would get you into Sauer territory would it not?

That would be my plan too! I'm not keen on the new Sakos or Steyrs if I'm honest, both feel more like they're built to a budget than the older guns do :good:

If I had to pick from the two you've listed then I'd go for the Sako, but there are a few nicer options out there for that sort of money.

didn't include Sauer, cos they seem rarer than hen's teeth!
If you want common why not just get a Remington :good:

When I bought my Tikka I had to drive in excess of 400 miles to get it (company car+fuel in those days) that was 7 or 8 years ago and I haven't regretted making the effort once in all those years.

Out of the two you listed I'd go for the 75 or 85 finnlite all day long.

Personally I don't like the steyr action, saftey or stocks and re-sale values are not great. If you go to Sportsmans I'm sure they'll tell you how great they are, they do however import them and therefore make a good bit more margin on them.

I prefer the stocks on the Sako 75 from the 85 but, they have recently changed the 85 stock and it not only looks better but, apparently feels better too (i'm yet to handle the new stock so the jury's out on that one)

Sauer 202 is a lovely rifle if I was having a synthetic it wouldn't be top of my list as I think the stocks feel a bit plasticy, in walnut however they are a very tasty rifle and good push button safety and you can change calibres if you win the lottery.

ATB

Moses

Either will probably outshoot most people so it doesn't really matter.

I like lighter guns and have never been a fan of the Steyr, personal thing, so the Sako wins hands down for me.

Mind you I have the Tikka T3 Hunter in .243 and its as good, if not better than I will ever need in the field!! :yes:

.243 ticks all the boxes for that, the only thing I would say is it isn't that much 'bigger' than the .223 so they overlap a bit.

You could use the .223 for Munjac as well for instance, and Roe if you lived in Scotland.

So it would almost be a dedicated Roe rifle, and some might say (another discussion for another day) that the .243 is a bit lacking for larger deer/boar etc if you got a chance to shoot them.

Bin the .223 and just go .243, its superior foxing wise and unless you're onto big reds will do for them all. Then you have more money to spend on the one rifle and you'll get more use from it and so probably shoot better with it. You'll only need one scope etc etc they aren't that much more money ammunition wise unless you're putting loads of rounds through it

i've got a Titan, and lovely as it is, i want something different (and currently love the look and feel of the Steyr).

in retrospect i would have preferred a plastic stock on my .223 and a wood on the stalker, but already have wood, so probably go synth for the news one.

so do i stick with the .223 for foxing and muntjac and go up to 6.5 for roe etc?

I looked at both rifles but in 6.5x55 and came down on the side of Sako. I did not like the safety on the Styer or the bad press that their flexible stocks got. And yes i did look at the mk2 stock and it still flexed more than the finnlight.

Plus if ever you want to re-barrel or customise a Sako there are riflesmiths out there who can do it for you, you do not have to send it back to the factory.

My Finnlight (75) will shoot 3/4" groups at 100yds with federal 140gn factory loads off the bi-pod in a field, not benchresting! My twins (they were 16) have both had their first ever rifle firing with it and both managed to get a 3 shot 1" group. Not bad for a factory stick. The only problem is that you have to deal with GMK :good:

ft

ps Gunshop owners like the new Sako 85 stock because lefthanders can use it too. If you research the 75 stock on the web at least one custom stockmaker calls it "the best designed stock on the market", which is why they copied it!

Edited by flytie

As you aren't at the variation stage I would look at calibres first, then makes second, although one can rule out the other.

It's entirely up to you, but I would keep the .223 and go for the 6.5 or the 25-06.

25-06 is a lot quicker so flatter shooting, the 6.5 is slower but can shoot heavier bullets - horses for courses.

If you are going to be at Bisley you can have a pop with both and see what you prefer.

is there any real benefit though if you aren't shooting red stags, for mostly foxes and the occasional deer mostly small aren't you better off with a .243, which shoots flatter and packs more punch than the .223 on foxes yet is deer legal and capable. Bearing in mind the cost of the glass on top you can have one very good setup or two not quite as good setups