1. 1. Whats the most favoured caliber for fox and deer control

• .22-250
    • .22 Swift
    • .25-06
    • 6.5x55
    • .30-06
    • Other
    • .204 Ruger

.243 if you want to do both, realistically you can go bigger but if its a first grant they may be touchy, its both a cracking fox round and a perfectly respectable deer caliber unless you're after red stags

The situation is that i ve held a FAC for a year with rimfires, and now been asked to kill muntjack and roe vandalising crops. im doing a dsc 1 soon and did my deer modules while at college along with firearm saftey too. Ive never used a .243 but have used a .270.

Beretta

Poll now amended to allow .204, it was origionally not included because im looking for one caliber tha wil do fox and deer and the .204 isnt deer legal.

Beretta

Fair enough, I didn't realise it was to help you to choose, I wouldn't be using a CF for deer, only fox.

personally the .243 is the better fox caliber IMHO though if you're up in Scotland a 22.250 would be the best and capable for both deer species, if south of the border then .243 would be required at a minimum. Obviously even up north you need to go bidder if you want to shoot any other deer

Obviously even up north you need to go bidder if you want to shoot any other deer

100g bullet through a .243 is perfectly legal and capable for red deer in Scotland, including stags. Most professional stalkers will use a bigger calibre which gives a larger margin for error when clients are shooting, but I personally know one stalker who, when he is shooting, does all his culling with a .243 - and that's upwards of 40 stags a year.

The situation is that i ve held a FAC for a year with rimfires, and now been asked to kill muntjack and roe vandalising crops. im doing a dsc 1 soon and did my deer modules while at college along with firearm saftey too. Ive never used a .243 but have used a .270.

Beretta

I think he did say Muntjack and roe....

It's the year it was developed.

Take the .243 for what you're going to do, although if you fancy a .270 there's plenty about which is a good indicator of how popular they're not. I've fired one shot through a .270 and aren't fussed if I ever fire another. I found it to be noisy and quite savage, the .243 is sweet by comparison.

Yes ive shot a .270 moderatered, and killed with one too, not much meat damage.

I ve seena roe shot with a .243 and the meat damage is what id call excessive with a whole sholder being damaged by the entery hole, there was no exit wound.

I list the .22 centerfires because the munjac is a certanity but the roe only probable. I do understand that i would need a .243 or bigger to shoot roe.

Yes ive shot a .270 moderatered, and killed with one too, not much meat damage.

I ve seena roe shot with a .243 and the meat damage is what id call excessive with a whole sholder being damaged by the entery hole, there was no exit wound.

I list the .22 centerfires because the munjac is a certanity but the roe only probable. I do understand that i would need a .243 or bigger to shoot roe.

I don't know if I have read this right or wrong, but a .243 is a pussy cat compared to a .270, especially if you get into the light 50-55-58g .243!!

Your comparison above is a little meaningless, sounds like some some sort of balistic tip on the .243, and the odd shot or two here or there will not give you any sort of comparison anyway, So much depends on the type and weight of bullet, quarry distance and what the bullit first hits on entry!! :rolleyes:

A 243 is no where near as reactive as the 270 and as for meat damage ,I agree that the damage could of been down to bullet type,I use a 270 with 130 grain partition bullets and the damage is awesome on foxes but reasonable on Deer aslong as you dont hit a joint,there travelling at 3100 fps and thats well beyond most of the medium centre fires,so your arguement against the 243 is unfounded,there are loads of 270's about as people prefer the softer 308's.

Your more than likely to get a 243 as a first application for deer in my opinion.

Well although I have one, I wouldn't go 6.5x55 if you want to shoot mainly Foxes. You could do with something that shoots lighter bullets for them. Having said that I'm of the opinion that the .243 looks very light for Deer! I can't back it up with experience because I've never stalked with one, but on paper if something needs the absolute maximum of its bullet weight range to be Red legal in Scotland then it's just cutting it a bit fine for my liking. That's just personal opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I've fired a .243 and a .270 and I can back the others when I say that the .270 is a beast in comparison! I think it may be a bit big for what you want.

If you're not going to shoot Reds then .243 is the obvious choice to me. If you may shoot Reds then bump up to a .25-06 because it's still fairly light and flat but not as light as the .243. Be warned though that any of the '06 family will be relatively fierce, they burn quite a bit of powder! Nothing that can't be fixed with a good mod though.

I'm not going to vote until you say if you'll ever shoot bigger Deer. If no, .243. If yes, .25-06.