7/8-3/4oz #6

Guest cookoff013

Would you use 3/4 - 7/8oz #6 for decoying?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use 3/4 - 7/8oz #6 for decoying?

• yes i would. where can i get them from
    • no, you are evil.
    • dont call me shirley
    • i neither agree or disagree to any such statements here.

Guest cookoff013

i was looking at pigeon cartridges, not one has a 7/8 or a 3/4 oz of shot load #6.

would you buy a shell for pigeons, 3/4 oz or 7/8ox #6 ?

would they be cheaper? as the lead is the most expensive (although thats what we are all "lead" to believe)

my reasoning, i patterned some #7.5, 21gram loads. i was really impressed.

shirley 3/4oz of #6 should do the job,even at the shooters maximum abillity. even through a mod choke.

what are your thoughts?

i`d rather it didnt end up in a debate over clay cartridge use.

i`m talking about the #6 here guys.

I have to say that I would and have used them. I often use a 28 bore for shooting pigeons and have 19 and 21 gram loads of 6's.

The energy will be the same, you just won't have the pattern density so your kill rate may go down. I have not really noticed any difference using my 28, if you hit them they die.

If you miss you miss.

Guest cookoff013
I have to say that I would and have used them. I often use a 28 bore for shooting pigeons and have 19 and 21 gram loads of 6's.

The energy will be the same, you just won't have the pattern density so your kill rate may go down. I have not really noticed any difference using my 28, if you hit them they die.

If you miss you miss.

thats what i thought. the pattern plate opened up my eyes. the pattern wasnt that wide at all, which makes me think. hence the poll.

If you miss you miss.

This is quite a revalation. Only a few weeks ago you were saying you use nothing else other than 32 grams no.6! Now then 19 or 21 grams of 6 will certainly have far less pellets in than my favorite 28gram no.7.5! :lol:

Edited by fortune82

I used to use 7/8's oz of 6's in my 20 bore. Why would you use such a load in a 12bore? Unless you are using 2" shells to teach a youngster, are very recoil sensitive or are just a cheapskate who loads his own :unsure:

I have always thought that the cartridges I have used havn't been to blame for me missing, that's just my lack of talent :yes:

ft

If you miss you miss.

This is quite a revalation. Only a few weeks ago you were saying you use nothing else other than 32 grams no.6! Now then 19 or 21 grams of 6 will certainly have far less pellets in than my favorite 28gram no.7.5! :unsure:

I hear you on this one :yes:

Alan

If you want to shoot light loads would it not make more sense to shoot a 20bore?

I don't see the point in lugging 12 about if you could comfortably shoot those loads through a lighter gun

All of Father's 2" 12s, Patstone, Hellis and Linsley weighed about the same as an average 20 sbs and obviously far less than any 20 OU

Guest cookoff013
I used to use 7/8's oz of 6's in my 20 bore. Why would you use such a load in a 12bore? Unless you are using 2" shells to teach a youngster, are very recoil sensitive or are just a cheapskate who loads his own :unsure:

I have always thought that the cartridges I have used havn't been to blame for me missing, that's just my lack of talent :yes:

ft

why? because i can (i havent but could if i wished)

say i reloaded and had lots of shot / primers / powder / cases to burn off ?

cheapskate or value getter ?

lol

some 20bore shotguns are the same frame as a 12. often they can weigh almost as much.

i shoot a sxs, its light as a feather.

cheers for the inputs.

if the birds are decoying in well why the hell not save some cash and the lack of recoil is a big plus.i reloaded a few boxes this spring 3/4oz 61/2 in fact wouldnt take them on a roost shoot but they were mint shooting over layed rape worked well on spring crows too.if you can find some with shot size bigger than 71/2 give them a try at harvest time can be a no go in some autos .

This is quite a revalation. Only a few weeks ago you were saying you use nothing else other than 32 grams no.6! Now then 19 or 21 grams of 6 will certainly have far less pellets in than my favorite 28gram no.7.5! :lol:

If you go back and read that thread again you will see that my argument was for using 6's over 7 1/2s.

The striking energy of a 6 is the same regardless of what gun it comes from, the ammount of shot will not make up for bad shooting. If you put it in the right place the bird will be killed cleanly

If you miss you miss.

I use my 28 bore most of the time for decoying to be honest i find it kills out to the same range as a 12 bore i use no 7 shot the 28 seems to throw a narrower pattern you have to be spot on then it kills as well as a 12 the only down side is the price of the cartridges i have to use felt wads so i use eley 21 gram loads.

If you go back and read that thread again you will see that my argument was for using 6's over 7 1/2s.

The striking energy of a 6 is the same regardless of what gun it comes from, the ammount of shot will not make up for bad shooting. If you put it in the right place the bird will be killed cleanly

Ah striking energy again! But remember as you stated yourself a 7.5 pellet has more than enough energy to kill a pigeon at the maximum range of a shotgun (40 yards according to you)!

You should use 7 or 7.5 pellets in your 28 bore for a denser pattern!

Ah striking energy again! But remember as you stated yourself a 7.5 pellet has more than enough energy to kill a pigeon at the maximum range of a shotgun (40 yards according to you)!

You should use 7 or 7.5 pellets in your 28 bore for a denser pattern!

You stick to whatever you want to use and I will stick to what I want.

And actually a 7.5 only just has the required energy at 40 yards.

Nothing less than 32g goes up the barrels for me and quite often roost shooting I run with a 36g load of 5 or 6's.

Rio Royal pigeon or victory whites are my favorite for the more discerning birds.......

we were using 32 gram 4's on a hare day on saturday, when it came to the last drive we were using a few on pigeons and well what a mighty fine load for very high pigeons, almost made my shooting look impressive :good: