New car

Wookie

So you missed the next link to reviews I posted then? :hmm: The first one was a magazine editors review...which counts for naff all generally and a link purely to a few reviews. The second one is actual user reviews.

As for the date...that is roughly the year he would be looking at with his budget. Or did you fail to read that too? :hmm::hmm:

Show me a good / better review for a 4x4 from the same site and I'll eat the humble pie..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me a good / better review for a 4x4 from the same site and I'll eat the humble pie..

I don't need to. Wookie was asking about the X-trail so I posted him a link to 2 sites which had more information on them than you or I could know. One a magazines review and the second an actual review which I personally would take more note with than some glossy mag.

No humble pie needed either fella....but it helps if you read everything before picking people up on something. :hmm:

one of the ex directors at with has an X-trail and seems to like it, only off roading it gets is driving between pegs but its comfy and economical, he runs road tyre's so can't say what they would be like with 50/50 rubber?

have to second the, Subaru Forrester, not bad motors, nice to drive and space in the back, the 2ltr non turbo is a bit sluggish but quicker than a frontera will give about 30mpg ave.

if I had 6k I would prob get a twin cab pick up but that's only because of my dogs and being able to hose the back out whilst still getting the family in.

Edited by Red 9R

I don't need to.

You can trawl the internet and you'll find a bad review on anything. It's also easy to point out the negative on the XTrail by using internet links (and not quoting personal experience) and without suggesting an alternative vehicle for Wookie to look at / think about....

One thing I will guarantee is that you dont need to use Google on that Renault Kangoo to know its a gay wagon.

You can trawl the internet and you'll find a bad review on anything. It's also easy to point out the negative on the XTrail by using internet links (and not quoting personal experience) and without suggesting an alternative vehicle for Wookie to look at / think about....

One thing I will guarantee is that you dont need to use Google on that Renault Kangoo to know its a gay wagon.

Very true. I only know of one person personally that has an X-trail and has had problems with it so not a fair comparrison really. Any motor I buy though I always check the user reviews first.

As for an alternative, Nothing seems to be bombproof lately. I tried an L200, Ford ranger, Disco, Freelander and a mitsubishi challenger. reviews on them all were varying from horrendous to fair. Nothing stood out as excellent. As yet we still haven't bought a new motor but still looking. Not that hard mind....I'd encourage anybody to check as much online at various car forums before buying just to see what degree of problems you could be buying into.

As for the Kangoo...... :hmm: I wholeheartedly agree. Only those from Essex would buy one....... :hmm:

I go lamping nearly every week with Bob300w in his X Trail and it is a fantastic motor. We haven't been stuck anywhere and it is a superb car to shoot from with the complete sunroof and the raised sections either side to rest on.

If I was buying new or nearly new I would be lookingfor one of them.

Or a lightweight landie, there seems to be a run on them at the moment. They all look the same though.

UK Poacher,

Wookie might come from Suffolk but I have it on record that he only has mild Suffolk gay tendancies and not the full blown version that Pavman and Starlight32 suffer from.

He would get tarred and feathered if he drove into Harnsers county in that bad boy.

ME

Sorry. I just thought with him having a Silver Pig in his signature he was well out of the closet. :hmm:

Or a lightweight landie, there seems to be a run on them at the moment. They all look the same though.

He implied that he wanted a family car, not a rotten, leaky, draughty, rattling, thirsty, noisy, uncomfortable, oily, endless project. :hmm:

<Edit> I unbelievably forgot to add unreliable.

Edited by UKPoacher

To be brief, Forrester, X-Trail, Shogun. Forrster cos it's more of a 'car' and will please the wife (still very capable off road), X-trail, a bit bigger but still has the 'car' feel, shogun is more of a 'proper' off road vehicle but is still ok on road and motorways if a little thirsty (I get around 25-28/ gallon (2.8 tdi)).

interesting getting dogs in a yaris though I'd imagine though :rolleyes:

Wookie what you need is a spreadsheet and some test drives, use the spreadsheet to work out financially whether you are better with one motor or two and the test drives to see what you like driving. What you need to look for are the motors that depreciate hardest so you get the most for your money on your new buy.

NOOOOOOOO! Not another spreadsheet to maintain!

Actually, I did that with the last car I chose* and after much researching, ended up with a Rover 620 SLDi purely on the basis of its economy. it was a horrible car and i was amazed when I sold it for 175 notes, especially as the driver's side window was knackered, the sunroof was knackered, the roof line had come down, the clutch was shot and the engine had a big oil leak.

Mentioned the X-Trail last night to the wife. She's not hugely keen purely because my mother has one and she therefore sees it as slightly old. So, any X-Trail owners that are young (ok, thirties/forties) that have photos of gnarly off-roading/shooting and one, I need your help!

As for the Forrester... For some reason, Autotrader only has nearly new ones in. I quite like the look of them to be honest, but I can't stretch to nearly 20k for one.

Note: "Chose" is a specific word I use to differentiate between me actually wanting to buy a car, as opposed to getting a car from family because the one before has died.

thats where the test drive bit comes in it ditches those motors that are dogs :rolleyes:

Its useful though if you work out your anual mileage and work out the saving between running one car and a car and a 4x4,

I did similar hence I run round every day in my L200, billy bargain at 3K for one at 84K on a 51 plate. Ok I got the commercial spec one but has no electrics to go wrong, so far put 30K on it with only basic maintenance. If we go away we always take it as loads of room for the dog in the back and a s much gear as we want to take, reasonably comfortable for long journeys and it gives 30mpg on average. Perks are £185 road tax which isn't going to go up madly like the shogun or normal 4x4 if you get a newer one. There are also loads about so they have depreciated badly though not as badly as the ford rangers which seem to be getting increasingly popular.

As far as X Trails are concerned I've next to no experience as we have none on the shoots I go on which probably says a bit about them. Your main issue I would say is whether to keep what you have and buy another smaller car to do most of the mileage in.

Any of the 4x4 king cab diesels, do not forget the Ford Ranger and the Isuzu ones, will do most of your needs and fuel economy, but will not please the wife as it is like trying to park a barge. You can find decent older ones but you will have to sort through some dross first.

Smaller 4x4's, try Suzukis. At least you can lock the rear diff on them. You will be able to pick up a decent one for £6K far more so than the much more fashionable Rav4s etc.

Or you could offer to take that nasty X-trail off your mum's hands before it really starts to cost her money. You never know she might fall for it :rolleyes:

ft