feeding

chris o

hi all my know it all partner thinks i should feed my 5 and half month old ess 3 times a day till he is a year old i think he should be on 2 feeds now who is right if it me the partners going to be buried in the back garden under the flags along with her mother at the same time they both ignore what i say when it comes the dog and i have had enough. its getting to the stage were i am going to sell the dog as i am not having a daft or stupid dog. will any of you guys talk some sense into her?

and also he has been in the house since we got him but i am in the middle of making a run and kennel for him to go in through the day as dont like the idea of him being locked up in the house in summer mainly when everyone is out is it to late to do this? again her mum saying it is unfair on the dog doing this and it is to late if anyone know of a hit man forward there num to me. or just comments that i can show both the iratating ****.

I have to say I feed mine ad lib so a large bowl in the morning and she snacks during the day, done it with my last few dogs and tends to stop them bolting food and getting too carried away at food time. However won't work on dogs that will gorge and become over weight. In your position two feeds will be fine but to keep the peace the same amount of food split over 3 feeds really won't hurt. As for the kennel if the dog isn't destroying the house then yes its probably not necessary unless you want the dog to live in one

While a dog is growing I'd recommend feeding two or three times a day simply to allow the dog to digest all the food it consumes. Overloading it can result in the dog shunting food out before it has time to gain benefit from it.

Even as an adult it pays to split the meals into two.

The reason you feed 3-4 times when young is because the dogs stomach physically isnt large enough to contain all the food it needs for an entire day. Once they are about 6 month I put my lab bitch on 2 meals a day and intend to keep her on this for life :oops:

Also mine has been in the house for the last 7 months. Shes 9 months now. I am just finishing a kennel / run. Once the roof goes on it she will be out in it in the day. Once the weather warms up she will be in it in the nights aswell :good: Your mother in law is talking out of her ****. Women ruin dogs with there spoiling and "aw thats mean"

Its a bloody dog not a baby!!! Ive cracked down on family doing it to mine as the dog definately plays up more and has no boundaries! So once the dog is out only I will be feeding her, walking her, training her. Trying to cut down with the others as I have been advised from the guy helping me train her. He field trials his labs (her mother) and has a few awards so he must be doing something right :good:

My spaniel lives and sleeps indoors, has the run of the house, sleeps on the settees, goes to work with my wife and lays under her desk all day, is spoilt rotten with treats and toys and yet works a beating line under control, will flush and retrieve game for the shotguns, locates and retrieves squirrels I've shot with my air rifle, lays at my side when hide shooting and fishing or walks at heel when walking up with my air rifle or rod.

I've never been a believer that you can spoil working dogs. People don't give them credit for knowing what's what.

i must admit dave1979 idea is at top ofthe list at the moment lol. thanks for your advice thats great i have tried leaving food down for him to snack on but its gone in 10 seconds so that out the window completely.

the idea of me doing the run is so he is not stuck in a crate all the time and to give him more space in fresh air and bring him in at nights to sleep thats the womens order and she want change her mind with this dog with it being the first i would let him have run of the house but he would ruin everything in site.

you need to put your foot down with the women mate, he's not a pet he's your intended working companion, I agree with what there saying about feeding though my youngster has 4 meals a day, all small so he gets most benefit out of them instead of gorging.

Get the run up and get the pup in there away from distractions, and know it alls...if they want a lil pet buy them shih tzu and you have your lil companion :good:

My spaniel lives and sleeps indoors, has the run of the house, sleeps on the settees, goes to work with my wife and lays under her desk all day, is spoilt rotten with treats and toys and yet works a beating line under control, will flush and retrieve game for the shotguns, locates and retrieves squirrels I've shot with my air rifle, lays at my side when hide shooting and fishing or walks at heel when walking up with my air rifle or rod.

I've never been a believer that you can spoil working dogs. People don't give them credit for knowing what's what.

I would think a good portion of the best working dogs in the country spend most of thier time with families in the house, aslong as the rules still apply I feel a dog thats in the house will have a better bond with its owner compared to dogs that are outdoors. All animals, including us are effected by solitary confinement.

If you only have the one dog, I'd suggest you dont kennel it long term alone, dogs require interaction, even if its just watching your kids running around they feel secure and part of the pack, which makes for a better dog, however thats just my view!!

I do agree though when it comes to allowing the dog outside whilst your at work!!

The PM

There is a lot of rubbish talked/written/advertised about feeding dogs. Just remember that in the wild, dogs gorge or starve depending on the availability of food. they eat whatever they kill, whenever they kill...... Having said that, I've been gradually reducing my 9 month old Lab pup down to one feed per day. She was a really poor eater, but all that has changed now she only gets fed once. She has a good appetite now and is growing faster than before.

I would be looking at the individual dog to decide what feeding regime suits it best and as a rule of thumb, I would drop to 2 feeds at 6 months... ish!

There is a lot of rubbish talked/written/advertised about feeding dogs. Just remember that in the wild, dogs gorge or starve depending on the availability of food. they eat whatever they kill, whenever they kill...... Having said that, I've been gradually reducing my 9 month old Lab pup down to one feed per day. She was a really poor eater, but all that has changed now she only gets fed once. She has a good appetite now and is growing faster than before.

I would be looking at the individual dog to decide what feeding regime suits it best and as a rule of thumb, I would drop to 2 feeds at 6 months... ish!

Load of rubbish :rolleyes: ,make sure you never own a German Sheperd or you be in for some big vets bills :rolleyes:

I am with Malc, all our dogs get fed once a day and we have never had any problems with them.

All mine had 3 or 4 small meals a day till they were about 12/13 months. Once they went outside during the night i put it down to 2 larger portions a day.

As they got older i just went on what seemed to work best for them.Sometimes they get 1 good bowl a day other times 2 and it works for mine with no problems changing the amounts. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule to feeding or keeping dogs, mine live outside at night and are often put in there runs at other times, but they are still indoors with whoever is home during the day and muck about with the kids and get spoilt rotten, but they still know what do do when we are out shooting, beating etc.

During the season i increase the amount they get as they are hard at it. A lot of people wont feed their dogs before working, i always give mine a small meal a couple of hours before we set off for the day and it works well with mine, they all have plenty of stamina to see them through the day. I also increase the amount they have during the cold seasons because they live outside at night.

I do think though that when they are young growing dogs, they do need 3 meals a day. As someone has said, they don't want to be large portions as they have small stomachs. Depending what you are feeding them can't you go by the guidelines with the food?

Cheers :good: