Car insurance for 17 year olds

starlight32

look on compare the market,dont go for anything flash or big for a first car. i am 19 and have a renault clio 1.2 which was over £1500 to insure wen i passed fully comped on my own policy,after a years no claims it halved! but now for me to get insured on a suzuki vitara its over £1500 so just isnt worth it!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but when doing the claim assesment they might reasonably use this to assess that the policy was taken out fraudulently.............

coupled with a search on the rest of the motor insurers database to find mums "real " car then you are scuppererd...........

So not only is 'mum' not allowed to have a nice stereo she also isn't allowed to have 2 cars - all sounds a bit ageist and sexist to me.

Call me a cynic, but I have heard these scaremongering comments on the radio, oddly always by insurance companies employees whose employers have something to lose :rolleyes:

Yeah just got my 17 yr old son covered with Quinn for 650, TPFT..on a 02 corsa.

Best I could find!!

I can understand you not wanting to share sensitive information on the forum, but can you tell me how you did that?

I have just entered details for the same car, but older, 973cc engine, mileage limited to 6,000, value £900, TPF&T came in at £2,500, fully comp was over £3k :rolleyes:

hi, i am 18 pasted my test 1 year ago, my dad shorted out insurance lol. my mum is named driver on the car BUT some insurance companys dont take money off quote if you take pass plus it cost an extra £400. best way is to go on compare the market and look at the cheapest quotes and go fromo there. but i woould advise once you have got that quote go to the company and make payments throught the company NOT the compare website as they add intreast on after one year like they did to me. :rolleyes:

worked in insurance for 10 years so know the ins and outs.. :good:

you have to look at quite a few factors for this then decide..

Can they afford the insurance themself now??

If they can i would advise getting a small engine car like a pug 106, ren clio etc...doing it in their name...it will be expensive depending on where you live...get the pass plus done...most instructors will do it as an add on for about £50/60 as they have done most of it already during the lessons...only really motorway driving to do..

if they do it now they will have (hopefully) 4 years bonus when 22 and that makes a huge differance than a 22 YO without any also can look at "nicer" cars than thier mates...

i was 21 got a corsa....all paid for myself and cost me £670 a year...no bonus etc......when i was 24 i had a suped up clio paying £500 a year...other mates were paying £700+ for a basic due to no claims bonus being nil....when was 26 got a audi A3 04 plate paying £330 a year..

If you want can give you a bell and go thru it properly with you

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would bring this back up save starting a new thread :yes:

Now that quinn have gone into admistration. what are the options now. I got a quote from quinn on a 1.2 clio was tpft £1250 (as a learner 750) and £1360 fully comp (860). Now the best i can get is about 4grand :good:

Just wondering which companies are doing the best deals now??

Just thought I would bring this back up save starting a new thread :yes:

Now that quinn have gone into admistration. what are the options now. I got a quote from quinn on a 1.2 clio was tpft £1250 (as a learner 750) and £1360 fully comp (860). Now the best i can get is about 4grand :good:

What spec. Clio?

FM :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. I havent yet bought my first car/van, but i am already being governed about what i can buy because of the insurance. To bring down the cost, i will be a named driver under my mum on whatever car i buy, but still the average quote is £1000. Its just ridiculous.

QS

I know exactly what you mean. I havent yet bought my first car/van, but i am already being governed about what i can buy because of the insurance. To bring down the cost, i will be a named driver under my mum on whatever car i buy, but still the average quote is £1000. Its just ridiculous.

QS

I'm sorry, but it's been said a million times, doing that dosn't work anymore, they'll figure it out quickly enough and refuse a payment if you do have a crash, and you can be done for driving without insurance.

So not only is 'mum' not allowed to have a nice stereo she also isn't allowed to have 2 cars - all sounds a bit ageist and sexist to me.

Call me a cynic, but I have heard these scaremongering comments on the radio, oddly always by insurance companies employees whose employers have something to lose :good:

It's not scaremongering, insurance companies are cracking down on it and evolving technology allows them to uncover instances of 'ghosting.' At the end of the day it is fraud and if caught expect to have the book (quite rightly) thrown very hard.

I'm sorry, but it's been said a million times, doing that dosn't work anymore, they'll figure it out quickly enough and refuse a payment if you do have a crash, and you can be done for driving without insurance.

No, it is actually okay, as long as you state that the main driver will be the young person, in this instance me.

QS

It's not scaremongering, insurance companies are cracking down on it and evolving technology allows them to uncover instances of 'ghosting.' At the end of the day it is fraud and if caught expect to have the book (quite rightly) thrown very hard.

Could you elaborate on that comment a bit more please.

FM :good:

Just thought I would bring this back up save starting a new thread :look:

Now that quinn have gone into admistration. what are the options now. I got a quote from quinn on a 1.2 clio was tpft £1250 (as a learner 750) and £1360 fully comp (860). Now the best i can get is about 4grand :blush:

As the starter of this thread I thought i would let you all know how I got on. I ended up with Norwich union, Renault clio 1.2 £1300-00, multi car discount and all the like.

Painful but now its done and dusted and another bundle of cash that has gone forever out into the black hole of life.

£1300-00 I say to her indoors, she just said you have problem spending that on a Beretta so whats the difference?

I'm in the same boat with my 17 year old son, he is still learning at the moment, tried today to get a quote to put him as a named driver on my fully comp quote for out Jimny and most companies want £1600 an extra £1370 on what I pay for the misses and myself. When he has passed his test the quotes go upto £2600, scandalous :blush: :look: I didn't realise my little 1.3L jimny was such a fast sought after vehicle :D B)

I'm not sure of the issue about ghosting, but if my son is a named driver on my vehicle, I want the vehicle insured so he can drive it when he wants and how would an insurance company proove who was driving the vehicle the most :lol: If the vehicle is kept as standard without the big boom boxes etc unless they are watching everytime the car leaves the drive they cannot proove anything.

When I insured the jimny last year for both myself and wife the insurance company asked who was the main driver. I told them it is registered in my name and we both drive it equally as we do my work lease car. I explained this to the insurance company who then put me down as the main driver, I ask the reason behind these silly questions as I wanted the vehicle insured for both drivers equally at all times not one more than the other. After much discussion to which they had no answer, I told them they would not be able to prove either way if my wife or myself had driven the car more than the other in a court of law (which is where I would take them if they failed to pay on a claim) and they did agree. It is just another reason to try frighten ordinary people and get out of paying out on a claim. I think it is high time that the average everyday person started to stick up for themselves, and let these companies know what we think. It is also high time that there was further regualtion on these insurers (for all types of insurance) to be fairer with their pricing, all that is happening now is more people are driving around with no insurance and that is costing us all. :D The only way the insurers can prevent this happening and get out of paying out on a claim (unless they can proove who drives the vehicle most) is to make everyone have their own policy and not allow named drivers on others policies. :hmm:

Edited by KPV4

So insurance companies charge the earth for 17 year boys car insurance, the insurance companies then loose out through their own greed as the parents add kids as named drivers, then the insurance companies try to frighten them with words like 'fraud' - tell me if I have missed a bit out :blush: