What Bore Shotgun?

Brad93

Hi there, recently got my sgc through, and i am now looking at guns. Went down the local rfd the other day and had the idea of a 20B Beretta Silver Pigeon S in my head as i've been told i shoot better with a 20 than a 12. I've been shooting with a 20 for the last two seasons and am wondering whether it is because i'm used to a 20, and need to get the hang of a 12 gauge. The rfd has told me to visit the local clay ground and test a 12 and a 20 of both the same model, as im quite a big lad 6" and only 17 and there are more options with a 12 than a 20, (larger/heavier cartridge, etc).

So i wondered if you could tell us about your experience with this model gun, and what it is like before i break the bank

Any helps aprreciated

I like the sound of you RFD advising you to try both on the clay ground before you part with you cash, there are a few who would be pleased take your money for your first choice.

:rolleyes:

A good choice of make aswell :rolleyes: they dont fit all shooters though, (so im told)

Edited by Dougy

I think you will find that a 20 bore has as much recoil as a 12 bore. But granted, the guns are lighter in weight if you have girl's arms.

Try them both, but my view would be to go with a 12g - the cartridges are cheaper and you can get almost any load you want from 21g upwards.

Also, you can sell on a 12g without any grief - the 20g will have a limited resale market.

You can go for an “all round gun” that will do many things but you will do yourself a favour if you can decide what you want it for. No one gun is perfect for everything. A few comments and some questions only you can answer might be:-

How much walking am I going to be doing? A light gun is good for lots of walking with weight will be an issue after a long day

Am I going to spend most of my time on clays? A heavier gun is good for clay ground work

Or compromise with a medium weight gun.

If you want to do wildfowling then you might want to use heavy loads and want to go 12 bore.

20 bore cartridges are a bit more money but it all depends how many you are going to shoot for it to really make much of a difference.

Do I want to look good and feel good on a formal game shoot and want an old English side by side gun?

Do I want to shoot lots of pigeons in a field and would benefit from a semi automatic?

I am sure others will be along with more questions for you and lots will argue the merits of different gauges/guns.

It sounds like you game shoot, I know quite a few who have changed from a 12 bore of some description to a a silver pigeon 20 bore for game shooting and love it. A 20 bore silver pigeon seems to hold its value very well!

Think lots and try even more

Good luck :rolleyes:

I have recently bought a 20g silver pigeon and love it. Walking around with a heavy 12 gauge is a pain.

I can see the points about a 12 being cheaper to run and more versatile so I have also bought a Beretta urika light 12 auto that weighs only 6 1/2 pounds and will cycle heavyish stuff without kicking too hard and still wont drag you down when out for a walk.

The 20g Silver Pigeon is pretty special though and 28gram loads should deal with most game/vermin shooting without kicking too hard, I don't really notice the recoil to be honest.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Ive never used a 20 but i know others that do and as per others they are right about cartriges,all mine are 12 as you can see

Horses for courses ie the semi s and o/u good for the hide or anything static

and my nice light hammer s/s for driven shooting and walking with,

but a young lad shouldnt have to worry about the weight just yet :rolleyes:

Your a big lad so the weight of a 12g shouldn't be an issue to you. Remember that light guns either 20 or 12g will suffer more recoil with heavier cartridges, remember this if you have an oportunity to shoot high pheasant or pigeons for that matter. As has previously been mentioned 20g cartridges will cost 15 to 20% more than 12g! If you intend shooting alot of clays I would go for a 30" sporter if more game/pigeons I would go for a 28" game version. If your buget is tight say £500ish go for Lamber or Bettinsoli, if you have £1000 plus go Beretta Silver pigeon or Browning (not sure of models affraid) If possible take an experienced mate with you I have known dealers take the opportunity to rid their shelves of something the've had in stock for a year or 2 on someone they identify as being a bit "green"

20 Bore shotguns are great because of the less felt recoil. The downside is that the cartridges are a lot dearer.

I would go for a 12 Bore.

A number of 20's are based on 12 actions and therefore the guns are just about as heavy, and felt recoil "can" be less on like for like cartridges in these circumstances.

The Silver Pigeon are not, so theoretically the recoil should be all but identical!!...and if by any change you put a heavy cart in a 20 it will knock your shoulder off!

Anyway...the "Question"

Your RFD answered it, I know one guy who uses a 20 exclusively and he can knock spots off me in the field or on the clays!!

Generally I would suggest a 12 though for versatility, choice, effect and price!!

BUT...I'm after a good tight 20 O/U..so if anyone has that old one still sitting in the Cabinet that her in doors never uses anymore, or your lad had all those years ago please PM me ...

Cheers!!!

Edited by Dekers

Cheers for the excellent replies, foos for thought no doubt. I do mostly game shooting and much of it is walked up or involves a lot of walking, but i want to shoot a few pigeons this year. Obviously with the 20 bore cost of catridges is an issue when firing a high number of shots.

Thanks for all your help, i'm planning to have an hours tuition over the local clay ground, use both guns, and have the instructor tell me what im doing wrong.

regards

Brad

Berettaman, how do you get on with your Urika 2 ?

Mine plays up like hell after only about 30 cartridges, won`t even recycle a 32g with lots of recoil. :good:

I`v cleaned it back to new condition several times but it still plays up, even cleaning the port holes in the barrels.

I`v sent it back to GMK but they say it`s fine.

It`s driving me nuts because I really like using it. :good: