Can't get my barrel clean

mfrcus

Hi all ,i'm haveing trouble getting the barrel clean on one of my shotguns .I'm useing napier gun cleaner but it doesn't seem to be removing all the muck .So has anyone got any ideas what else i can try .cheers marcus

cant beat a good soak in bore foam mate

Which gun cleaner are you using and what are you scubbing it with?

I'm useing napier gun cleaner & i'm useing a brash brush & a mop thing .I've allso soakes tissue & pushed that through .The stuff i'm useing was sold to me when i bought the gun & reccomended .Its worked every other time but the gun had a lot use over the weekend & the barrels aren't comeing up clean enough.It was left for a bit longer than normal before i cleaned it but not by much.cheers marcus

Barrel cleaner down the barrel - cordless drill attached to the wire brush.

If all else fails - block up the end of the barrel - stand upright in the sink - pour boiling water until the barrels fill up. It goes without saying - be careful. Shifts absolutely any residue. Dry off and spray with WD40.

My optibore barrel ends up with a smear of lead just past the forcing cone when using fibre wads.

I just squirt Napier gun cleaner down the bore then I have an old brass brush with some 0000 wire wool wrapped around it so as to make it a tight fit, squirt some more cleaner on that, then vigorously move the cleaning rod just in the leaded part of the bore.

I then fold kitchen towel and push that through to wipe the mess out of the bore.

If there is a lot there you might have to do it twice, the yanks are great believers in using a drill and it will do the job but the wire wool will shift it even faster.

My optibore barrel ends up with a smear of lead just past the forcing cone when using fibre wads.

I just squirt Napier gun cleaner down the bore then I have an old brass brush with some 0000 wire wool wrapped around it so as to make it a tight fit, squirt some more cleaner on that, then vigorously move the cleaning rod just in the leaded part of the bore.

I then fold kitchen towel and push that through to wipe the mess out of the bore.

If there is a lot there you might have to do it twice, the yanks are great believers in using a drill and it will do the job but the wire wool will shift it even faster.

Trouble with Wire Wool is that th small parts break off and go everywhere, they can cause wear on any bearings, ejectors etc and will rust at the first opertunity. much better to use traditional methods if you want the gun to last

your man knows how to clean a dirty barrel and its not rocket science . Harnser .

Best way to clean a gun is to run a bore snake through it.

You're never going to get the gun as clean as when you bought it and if you're going to spend all your life worrying about how clean it is, you'll never fully enjoy a day out shooting with it.

It is very true to say that EVERYONE will know the Best way to clean any gun, and pretty much ALL those ways will be different!!!! :yes::blush:

...but the Bore Snake was "invented" for shotguns to give it a quick once over in the field to get some of the very corrosive propellent residues off it asap until you could clean it properly!!...Nothing has changed with the Bore snake since then except the Marketing around it!!!

ATB!!! :good:

Best way to clean a gun is to run a bore snake through it.

You're never going to get the gun as clean as when you bought it and if you're going to spend all your life worrying about how clean it is, you'll never fully enjoy a day out shooting with it.

I hope for your sake , that you never buy a gun without chromed chambers and bores, it will rust before your eyes.