geese

mikalatus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shot sizes 3-bb i wud have sed personally use 36grm bb gamebore buffalo which is an extremely hard hitting load, as to wat to do with success either eat the birds urself or give them away, usually the landowner appreciates a brace!

I think Buffalo shells are lead and thus against the law to use on wildfowl. You will need to use non toxic shot Tungstun , Bismuth or heavy three inch loads of steel. And unless the geese are causing damage to crops and you have tried to scare them away first cant ( under the general licence ) be shot until September 1st.

Best to wait and enjoy a dawn flight at them when the next wildfowling season starts rather than shoot them for the sake of it. Perhaps that will start you down the road of the finest shooting sport in the country.

I think Buffalo shells are lead and thus against the law to use on wildfowl. You will need to use non toxic shot Tungstun , Bismuth or heavy three inch loads of steel. And unless the geese are causing damage to crops and you have tried to scare them away first cant ( under the general licence ) be shot until September 1st.

Best to wait and enjoy a dawn flight at them when the next wildfowling season starts rather than shoot them for the sake of it. Perhaps that will start you down the road of the finest shooting sport in the country.

hmm yes u are right they r lead i meant i use them for foxes only now definately not geese or ducks as tht wud b illegal :angry: . but they are a good load and pre-ban i did use them on geese to very good effect.

But in this case can the Canada's not be shot with lead as they are classed as a pest species under the general license rather than wildfowl(No because they are wildfowl). I know they can be shot using a rifle which is firing a lead bullet?(Yes because it is a single projectile)

If you get caught not adhering to the law, then you drag all shooters with you and will get lead removed for good.

hi chaps ive got a permission that is now over run with around 50 or so canadian geese.and i was wondering wot size shot i shud use to shoot them and wot to do with the dead birds once shot.any ideas

As said, it needs to be a heavy lead free shot and pretty close, these are not small birds. And you will be lucky to have a second target any time soon after!!!

I'm not a fan of shotgun on Canada Geese, much prefer a rifle, but situations and needs differ!!

• 2 weeks later...
are you a fan of using the new steel 100 grain sako ballistic tip bullet? or lead all the way? you will shoot a shotgun with non txic but use lead through your rifle

:lol:?

If you are talking to me then no...I do not use lead free shot because I use a rifle...the law states lead free in your shotgun but not your rifle...another interesting bit of firearm legislation!! :hmm::welcomeani:

Edit

Don't know of the SAKO ammo so not in a position to comment!

Edited by Dekers

I'm not a fan of shotgun on Canada Geese, much prefer a rifle, but situations and needs differ!!

Seriously???

exactly what i thought! thats definitely todays most outrageous comment! :crazy:

I'm a little confused, I can take far more Canada Geese, far more efficiently at far longer ranges with a rifle than anyone can with a shotgun.

The carcase is cleaner and no shot either!

And taking them on the ground where they cause the grief rather than in the air seems a better option anyway on the whole round here.

If people are on the foreshore shooting that "may" be a different story, but it certainly isn't round here, shotguns are a poor second to rifles in this part of the country, even a 17g HMR will remove a Canadas head pretty effectively and easily at 100yards as witnessed by the one I just gave my neighbour today, and the Greylag as well (TOTALLY LEGAL so don't shout), try that with a shotgun!! :lol: The centrefires are easy to 200 yards or more if required on such a big bird, usually body shots, and use FMJ if you want to minimise damage, but I get more than enough so tend to use the SP.

ATB!! :good::good:

I'm a little confused, I can take far more Canada Geese, far more efficiently at far longer ranges with a rifle than anyone can with a shotgun.

And taking them on the ground where they cause the grief rather than in the air seems a better option anyway on the whole round here.

If people are on the foreshore shooting that "may" be a different story, but it certainly isn't round here, shotguns are a poor second to rifles in this part of the country, even a 17g HMR will remove a Canadas head pretty effectively and easily at 100yards as witnessed by the one I just gave my neighbour today, and the Greylag as well (TOTALLY LEGAL so don't shout), try that with a shotgun!! :lol: The centrefires are easy to 200 yards or more if required on such a big bird, usually body shots, and use FMJ if you want to minimise damage, but I get more than enough so tend to use the SP.

ATB!! :good::good:

Not doing yourself any favours there are you?

An FMJ is not designed to kill cleanly, they are designed to wound on a battlefield or punch holes in targets.

Since when has shooting greylag today been legal? I wasn't aware they were on the general licence.

Edited by MC

If people are on the foreshore shooting that "may" be a different story, but it certainly isn't round here, shotguns are a poor second to rifles in this part of the country, even a 17g HMR will remove a Canadas head pretty effectively and easily at 100yards as witnessed by the one I just gave my neighbour today, and the Greylag as well (TOTALLY LEGAL so don't shout), try that with a shotgun!! :yes: The centrefires are easy to 200 yards or more if required on such a big bird, usually body shots, and use FMJ if you want to minimise damage, but I get more than enough so tend to use the SP.

ATB!! :hmm::good:

yup, and it could also smash its beak, leaving it to starve to death. RIGHT ON MAN! YOUR A STAR!!!

art-570x300.jpg

Not doing yourself any favours there are you?

An FMJ is not designed to kill cleanly, they are designed to wound on a battlefield or punch holes in targets.

Since when has shooting greylag today been legal? I wasn't aware they were on the general licence.

You have a lot to learn and apparently can't read either, I said it was totally legal, we happen to have the right approval from Natural England for this exercise at this site.

And apparently you have no idea of the terminal effect of a centrefire FMJ on a Canada goose...and no caliber mentioned either so jumping to conclusions, best zip it. A centrefire FMJ through your chest will only wound you will it, it wont kill you cleanly hey...want to try, you don't have a clue!

I didn't ask for your approval or advice and I'm not interested in it, I know what I am doing ..you do not.

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers

yup, and it could also smash its beak, leaving it to starve to death. RIGHT ON MAN! YOUR A STAR!!!

art-570x300.jpg

If you have a problem putting a HMR in a Canada goose head at 100 yards I suggest you leave it to those that can, take up knitting and keep pricking all those Canadas in the sky with your shotgun.

I'm not interested in doing myself any favours, I know what I and those around me are capable of!

I am not after your approval or consent, grow up and stop reading comics and trying to score Brownie points!

ATB!!

ATB!! :good::yes:

You have a lot to learn and apparently can't read either, I said it was totally legal, I happen to have the right approval from Natural England for this excercise at this site.

And apparently you have no idea of the terminal effect of a centrefire FMJ on a Canada goose...and no caliber mentioned either so jumping to conclusions again, then best zip it,

I didnt ask for your approval or advice and I'm not interested in it, I know what I am doing ..you do not.

ATB!!

Are you 12? :hmm:

Are you 12? :hmm:

I suggest you go back and read, the FMJ was in centrefire context, not HMR!

All should be clear if you take your time and read it slowly, if not just let me know what is confusing you and I'll put it in big letters for you as you seem to like them.

ATB!