Armour Plated Crows

Seeing as it was such a nice day today I decided to go and thin out the crow population on our shoot as we have a lot of wild pheasants. I set up my hide and put a few crow decoys out and pigeon decoys. I have shot thousands of woodies and pheasants in my time but have never set out to target crows before. Anyway it worked quite well and I ended up with 18 in the bag however when picking up shot birds I found 7 that were still alive.

These birds were hit hard and hit the ground with a thump yet were still alive five minutes later, not flapping or anything just moving when picked up. Are crows a particularly tough bird? I was using Hull High Pheasant 30gram no.6 through 1/2 and 3/4 chokes.

What do you guys use if your going crow bashing?

Edited by fortune82

Hi,

Had the same problem and discovered that in my case I was rook/crow bashing but shooting at pigeon. You know by its size when a pigeon is in range but the black ones are bigger so in reality they were further away than a pigeon would have been for the same sized target. When I finally twigged things got much better. Know how Imperfection feels too but my father shot and reloaded 2" and had loads left after he died. They make ideal cripple stoppers.

Cheers

shot a few on a hare day a few weeks back and must say the rio 4's I was using were very humane. You do tend to shoot at them further away as they are larger, try going up to 5's or indeed 4's and you'll find they don't try and walk off. Either that or do what i usually do and use the HMR or .223

• 2 weeks later...
Seeing as it was such a nice day today I decided to go and thin out the crow population on our shoot as we have a lot of wild pheasants. I set up my hide and put a few crow decoys out and pigeon decoys. I have shot thousands of woodies and pheasants in my time but have never set out to target crows before. Anyway it worked quite well and I ended up with 18 in the bag however when picking up shot birds I found 7 that were still alive.

These birds were hit hard and hit the ground with a thump yet were still alive five minutes later, not flapping or anything just moving when picked up. Are crows a particularly tough bird? I was using Hull High Pheasant 30gram no.6 through 1/2 and 3/4 chokes.

What do you guys use if your going crow bashing?

Try 4s or 5s but they are a very hardy bird

I always take an expandable truncheon with me 1 like the police use. its small compact and does the job when u bonk them on the back of the head and cheaper than using another cartridge

My two extermes are they drop like a stone (had one that looked like a single pellet strike to the head) or just keep going.

I recovered one that dipped but flew on, I found it on the walk home.

It looked like It had been through a shredder, blood everwhere, a right mangled mess.

Tend to use 32g of 5 or sometimes 4's on them.

i have shot hundreds and probably into thousands of crows. like anything else if you don`t hit them right they won`t drop.i use 28 7.5s on occasions and with full choke i never have any bother.on other occasions when it`s windy or harder to bring them into range pigeon express 32 no 6s cope well also.put the shot in the right place and you`ll find they are`nt armour plated