Canada Geese

lord_seagrave

Dear All,

Whilst enjoying a walk across the fields on Saturday, I saw three small flocks of Canada Geese grazing and crapping in equal measure, seemingly without a care in the world.

Canada Geese are now on the general pest list, and can't be doing much good to anyone...

Given their rather small heads (compared to the size of a pellet), the fact that a miss is likely to be clean AND their apparent indifference to big men in tweed - are they suitable quarry for an air riflist?

And are they any good to eat?

Help, as always, very much appreciated.

LS

For a wide range of views have a look at the thread of the same name on airgun.bbs.

The general consensus is no.

However if it were in pain and wanted putting out of it's misery then a head shot at close range should do the trick.

Just remember that someone could be watching your actions and could judge the sport on those actions. :)

now your just being plain silly thinking about going for one of these with an air rifle! ANY AIR RIFLE!!!! your best off going with either a shotty or rimfire at the least.

please have alook at the BASC web site for what is generaly refered to as airgun quarry.

ROB

Im not even convinced tha its a good idea to shoot them with any type of rifle, IF you miss and wound but it flies, you cant deliver another round to finish it cos youd be shooting in the air. Personally i think a shotgun is the only 99%safe way to get rid of them.

This debate is ongoing on bbs I have had my say there and made my feelings clear? we have people advocating shooting birds as large as canada's with a 12ftlb airgun yet they frequently ask why they cant stop rats with one? my sport of shooting is precious to me, admittedly its pest control as well, but it is a sport and I would advocate it is NOT sport to snipe a bird on the deck? I would not take a pigeon that had landed in my pattern as much as I would take a duck that had flighted in past me or a pheasant that was a poor/ low flyer? as I have said "over there" we have enough people trying to stop our SPORT without us trying to stop it ourselves get the right gear for the job and do it correctly besides I have yet to see a non toxic airgun pellet?

cheers KW

Im not even convinced tha its a good idea to shoot them with any type of rifle, IF you miss and wound but it flies, you cant deliver another round to finish it cos youd be shooting in the air. Personally i think a shotgun is the only 99%safe way to get rid of them.

And you don't think a shotgun is as likely towound one as an airrifle headshot?

Think again then. Large numbers of wildfowl are carrying leadshot from speculative shotgunners having a go at 50+ yards. I've been wildfowling afew times and seen the way people bang one off at any goose that ventures within a hundred yards of them.

I was asked by one of my permissions if i could sort out some Canada's that were causing a bit of a problem.

I went along with my shot gun and a couple of boxes of No3's,

believe me it is not that easy. And that is with 3/4 and 1/2 choke and 1 1/4oz of shot doing about 1350fps.

The job was done. but no way is an air rifle suitable for that kind of job. B)

Thank you for all for your comments.

The objection to shooting a goose with an air rifle is not, it seems, that a correctly-placed head shot will cleanly kill the bird. There is anecdotal evidence to support this, and there has been no compelling anatomical/physiological argument presented to the contrary.

The objection is rather that an unclean miss cannot easily be resolved, unlike with ground-based quarry, or small birds (for whom the trauma of a misplaced shot from a pellet is greater).

The goose is likely to react by [noisily] flapping or flying - making dispatching the animal difficult, if not impossible.

There is always a risk that you will miss with any shot on any quarry, but your ability to finish the job is compromised to such an extent that to shoot a goose with an air rifle is strongly discouraged.

Would this be a fair summary?

LS

IMO you should never be thinking about a second shot with a rifle. Sure we all need one occasionally but if I ever though a situation would require two goes I'd move on.

A Canada rested on the lawn at work for several days last year. I could walk to within 5 feet of it without any effort. I seriously considered diving on it and taking it by force but frankly it looked too intimidating to tackle that way. If I ain't prepared to wrestle it it isn't on to shoot it with anything less than a 12g in my book

Sometime ago i had the task of dispatching a Canadian Goose from the 18th green at a Golf Club where i shoot.

Now i was considering my FAC Air rifle for the Job as the Greenkeeper wanted it doing discreetly but after talking to folks on this Forum i decided against it and opted for the 12g shotgun instead and forgot about the discretion aspect of the Challenge.

Better to see a loud HUMANE Kill than an attempted Quite one gone wrong .

Lucky for me the goose got word from the Ducks that i was on my way and promptly flew off never to be seen again B)

Cheers

Ive

The way I look at it is the same way as I(generally)don`t head shoot deer,if I miss I could break the jaw,leaving it to starve,or put a hole in it`s windpipe.

All these things are unthinkable but at least with the dogs and it being a land based animal I have a good chance to track and dispatch it,a bird is,to mix metaphores(?),a different kettle of fish.

If I ain't prepared to wrestle it it isn't on to shoot it with anything less than a 12g in my book

I think this is a fair point that some people might miss. Continued consideration must also be given to what the bird will do when shot with a rifle. 'headless chicken' scenario is almost definitely what you'll end up with. The bird is going to go crazy and flap its wings and legs until the nerves finally wrest. You wont know which the bird is going or even if it makes flight B) . No, in my book your better of using the 12g to stop it.

Regards,

Axe.

Having shot a few geese in my time and ,to my eternal shame, wounded and not recovered one :*) :*) . I would not only strongly suggest that only a 12G (or larger) shotgun be used but that a minimum of size 2 shot (used to use 3's but have gone up a size due to non-toxic being slightly less lethal -in my opinion-) at a maximum range of 30 yds be used. Most importantly, unless you wish to join me in the personal Hell of knowing you have left a creature to die slowly and painfully, if there is any doubt in your mind that you can make a clean kill DON'T SHOOT.

This doesn't only apply to geese either.

PO3

IMO you should never be thinking about a second shot with a rifle. Sure we all need one occasionally but if I ever though a situation would require two goes I'd move on.

A Canada rested on the lawn at work for several days last year. I could walk to within 5 feet of it without any effort. I seriously considered diving on it and taking it by force but frankly it looked too intimidating to tackle that way. If I ain't prepared to wrestle it it isn't on to shoot it with anything less than a 12g in my book

The picture 1 in 5 conjures up of rassling a full-grown Canada is making me laugh so much I can't see to type ;)

Purely ina spirit of trying to even up the odds for him, can I suggest a new tool in the armoury?

THE SAND-FILLED SOCK! :lol:

Don't know if 10,8 or even 4 is better but you get a lot more shot in the cartridges though I believe you can now get 56 gram 3" mag for 12G. Not sure I'd want to put my shoulder in to that though! :lol:

PO3

4g !!!!!!!

Doesn't that come with a cheiftan strapped to the bottom of it?