Holidays in the R.O.I.

henry d

duty free?! henry, the drink down south is so dear that their off licence prices are the same as our pub prices :sly: some of the border towns up here are inundated with southerners buying up all they drink they can get their hands on, has been like that for well over a year :rolleyes:

dont know about places to visit though :beer:

duty free?! henry, the drink down south is so dear that their off licence prices are the same as our pub prices :beer: some of the border towns up here are inundated with southerners buying up all they drink they can get their hands on, has been like that for well over a year :sly:

Nice one ! I`ll stock up on the way down :rolleyes:

dont know about places to visit though :lol:

Have you been, do you live there,

Henry, any time I've been down that way (many university motor club trips to

Galway, stag wekeends to Sligo and Galway etc) I've always enjoyed myself.

what`s the craic with places to visit etc. ?

I'd get a guide book, but don't be afraid just to drive and get lost. Some of the

best wee pubs I've been in (hardware merchant & pub type) have been

found doing that.

People are generally easy going and like to talk (although not as much in the

Cities).

The west coast of Ireland's great, I'm homesick typing this.

Nial.

Take a trip to Knock to the shrine, People travel for thousands of miles to get there and you are only about an hour away.

take a drive through the countryside.. and remember to pack your waterproofs!!!

You will find youself talking to complete strangers for half of the day.... and they will tell you the best places to go

Are you getting a hire car or taking your own?

Take a trip to Knock to the shrine,

People travel for thousands of miles to get there and you are only about an hour away.

take a drive through the countryside.. and remember to pack your waterproofs!!!

I thought the airport was more impressive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2fAIgcT6I

One of my favourite songs to hum to myself.

Nial.

May be worth PMing Glensman, his missus is from Roscommon so he is down there quite often. I have been to Galway a few times and I must admit it is a great city, some great bars in it but in the summer time is full of yanks. Have to agree with the other lads the drink is really expensive.

I lived on the west coast (Connemara) for 7 yrs, 80s-early 90s. Galway city is a great place. If it's a salmon you want to catch head for the weir. Day tickets are cheap and there's plenty of salmon. If I were you I'd head for Clare. In particular Doolin and Ennis. Sceneray is unbelievable and the people are great fun. Everything is expensive but hey-ho that's life. If it's a wife you want then head for Lissdoonvarna in September for the "match-maker" fortnight.

Where ever you go it will be mighty :good:

mayfly36 is right glens of antrim is nice. :good: far cheaper doing a tour of the north ;):good:

I have to back this up as I live in the Glens and if you come at the right time of year you will get a days shooting with me.

Henry D, Look no further than me!

I lived in Galway for 5 years, the woman is from Roscommon. The Sister's fella is from Sligo and I hunt Sligo, Galway, Roscommon and Conamara.

Places to see- Galway City (class craic). Conamara (spectacular views, miles and miles of nothing) Achill Island has highest cliffs in western europe and also in Mayo is cong (a quiet man)

I have been going to Limerick area for 16 years and love it. Coming from Cumbria,the scenery is nothing new and the fishing is not any better than English waters. In alot of ways it is really similar but the big thing is the pace of life and the lack of hassle. Great break for my family and every evening I belt a Rapala across the Shannon before getting tanked on Powers in front of the fire. Great folk to meet from all over the world. There is water everywhere. Prices are quite high . Last summer it was 3.5 Euro a pint and a bottle of wine about 50% more than UK. Even basic food pricey. I stay with family so it is a bit cheaper but give it a go as you will have a great time.

What time of year are you thinking of coming HenryD, and are you in your own car crossing N.Ireland? Are you going to be taking a caravan etc...

As has been mentioned prices are quite high, although €3.50 a pint was very cheap it is closer to €5 and more around bigger towns and cities.

The West of Ireland is an enchanting place filled with wonderfully atmospheric towns and villages, long stretches of stunning coastline, soaring sea cliffs, and craggy countryside that boasts a uniquely desolate beauty and a vibrant cultural heritage rich in tradition.

Encompassing the counties of Clare, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Limerick, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Offaly and Tipperary, the West gets under your skin like no other place in the world, offering an unparalled experience to all who visit.

The haunting drama of the Donegal landscape includes the enchanting Glenveagh National Park and Castle; Yeats’ County can be viewed from on high with a hike to the table top of Ben Bulben in County Sligo; or you could try a different vantage point with an ocean voyage to the magical Aran Islands in County Galway or Achill Island, County Mayo.

For those with a serious head for heights, nothing rewards more than a stroll along the magnificent Cliffs of Moher, County Clare! A little closer to sea level, picturesque Lough Key Forest Park in Roscommon is a haven of tranquility; while the legendary beauty of the majestic River Shannon stretching through the cruising counties of Leitrim, Offaly and Limerick can literally take your breath away.

Serviced by no less than five regional airports, you can hop on a plane to Shannon, Galway, Knock, Donegal and even nearby City of Derry airport to kickstart your holiday! So whether you want to soothe your soul in utter isolation on a remote island or feel the passion at a high-spirited summer festival, the wild and wonderful West has it all.

No I didn't write that :lol:

check out this website http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-...s/ireland-west/ :lol:

Meant to say if you are booking accommodation use this site to find accommodation but then book directly not through this site

Edited by Ballymac

Guys, don't over sell it or he'll be dissappointed.

Northern Ireland's a great place to be, but to me it's the people that make it. Don't forget that

Henry is in Scotland and after the highlands the glens of Antrim aren't _that_ impressive.

One option would be to travel up the North cost to Ballycastle then Bushmills, Portrush/Portstewart

then across to Letterkenny and either round Donegal or down to Donegal town then down to

Sligo etc.

If it was me I'd aim for the west as it's more 'different' from the rest of the UK than NI.

Nial

my brother in law is from Belfast, we had his stag do in Ballycastle great weekend. Locals really friendly great beer visited Bushmills and believe me its a bad place if you're really hungover, giants causeway is well worth a look. HD from where you are I would drive over taking in a few of the Northern Irish sights on the way.

P.s if you hear people calling someone #### its apparently a shortened version of Patrick, took me all weekend to get my head round that one :lol:

my brother in law is from Belfast, we had his stag do in Ballycastle great weekend. Locals really friendly great beer visited Bushmills and believe me its a bad place if you're really hungover, giants causeway is well worth a look. HD from where you are I would drive over taking in a few of the Northern Irish sights on the way.

P.s if you hear people calling someone #### its apparently a shortened version of Patrick, took me all weekend to get my head round that one :yes:

I live about 15 mins down the coast from Ballycastle in a village called Cushendall. Ballycastle is a good spot in the summer but is pretty baron in the winter.

We will be crossing from Stranraer to Belfast and driving across to the ROI to the cottage we have leased so we will get the best of both I think !

I`ve just ordered the Euros and I added an extra 25% than I anticipated :cry1: So be it, I intend to enjoy myself :cry1:

Many thanks to all who have answered my query and for the PM`s :mad: