Best position to place a rotary

TomV

What is the best position to place your rotary? Is it slightly to one side of your decoy pattern?

hi mate i always find if placed directley in front of you between 15 and 25 yards.with decoys behind whirly in a horseshoe or dog leg depending on wind direction. they seem to responed best to that layout :good::hmm::hmm: well for me anyway also position a floater to 1 side pointing to decoy pattern.try that out :hmm::hmm:

alot of people say horse shoe pattern for decoys and even put the rotary in the field behind you. what works 1 day might not work the next, it all depends what works on that day. i'v yet to see pigeons feeding though in a horshoe pattern or dog leg pattern and all of them more or less pointing into the wind ( what a load of rubbish).

Try and put your decoys as natural as poss, look at a flock feeding to see what i mean.

The reason i say this is is because we buy peckers, floaters, flappers, hypa flaps and rotarys to try and mimic a natural feeding flock. a pigeon will land where ever their mates are. somtimes they land right next to the rotary.

swipe 007 is missing the point if you place your decoys any old way incoming pigeons do not have a place to land if no spaces for em to head for. and usually land right at the back of the decoys then giving you less chance of killing 2 birds if more than 1 come in

Having not been shooting for nearly 15 years I brought a magnet (and UV Jackets) from our sponsor.

Having never used one or seen one live, it was trial and error for me. People on here talked about a lot of birds flairing around the magnet and I found this to be true until you change to dead birds on the magnet. They commit a lot further out and come into land usings dead birds, I found anyway. You still get the odd bird flair but not as many.

I place mine at the head of the patteren closest to my hide because if they do flair, they are already in my patteren and therefore the kill zone.

I tried it at the back of the patteren first time I used it, but nothing was coming in, so quickly realised the closer to the hide at the front of the patteren the better. For me anyway.

I use a standard V formation for decoys, placing two flappers at the back of the V, with the furthest flapper being 30 yards from my hide, giving me distance markers for my kill zone.

I went out on Sunday and shot 39 and went out yesterday and shot 20. Yesterday was not so good due to no wind, they were sitting up all day and when they did fly by, a few came in and got the good news.

I love mine and will not go out without it now, also the UV jackets work a treat.

1 magnet with hypa flaps, 10 half shell decoys with UV jackets and 3 flappers (for dead birds) is all the kit I take. It's working well for me so far.

Good luck with it mate, trial and error. keep at it. :yes:

Edited by stealthlyninja

Judging by the success of many on this forum in recent weeks ( including Myself) the best place for it would be on Ebay. :welcomeani:

is they no way we could reinforce it tie the wife to it, the fridge at 1end and we sit in the armchair at the other watching tv. everytime we wanted a nice cold beer we could turn it on and she would fly round with a cold beer for us.

ha ha better than pigeon shooting where i am at the moment

alot of people say horse shoe pattern for decoys and even put the rotary in the field behind you. what works 1 day might not work the next, it all depends what works on that day. i'v yet to see pigeons feeding though in a horshoe pattern or dog leg pattern and all of them more or less pointing into the wind ( what a load of rubbish).

Try and put your decoys as natural as poss, look at a flock feeding to see what i mean.

The reason i say this is is because we buy peckers, floaters, flappers, hypa flaps and rotarys to try and mimic a natural feeding flock. a pigeon will land where ever their mates are. somtimes they land right next to the rotary.

100% agree :good:

is they no way we could reinforce it tie the wife to it, the fridge at 1end and we sit in the armchair at the other watching tv. everytime we wanted a nice cold beer we could turn it on and she would fly round with a cold beer for us.

ha ha better than pigeon shooting where i am at the moment

:good::good::good::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I put mine about 20 meters to the side of me as i want the birds looking at that and not at me in the hide, putting it to one side or out into the field more lets the birds concentrate on that moving and not me trying to move around.

this time of year i just chuck the decks up in the air and were they land is where they will be. later on in the year i will only use about 10 shells and in a ruff U or tick or even a straight line if wind it side on. at the moment im using upto 40 shells.

i went pigeon bashing with a friend of mine and his patten was odd magnet 20/25 yards out just to the left of our hide with a group of 20 deeks to the left then a group of 20 deeks to the right ramdom drop and the birds flew striaght in throu the gap to the magnet he was spot on :lol:

i use the same pattern all out about25-30yd, 20 decoys out to the left, 20 to the right all random facing positions with about 15yd between the two groups. put the rotary out about 15yd either to the left or right of the hide.

i try and put them as natural as poss. works spot on for me aswell.

i'v seen alot of pigeons feeding, but never have i seen them in a horse shoe shape or dog leg shape. especially all facing into the wind. don't know why people rave about these patterns. i'v used the horse shoe shape before and honestly about 80% of pigeons never even landed in the actual shape all landed on the outer.