too many woodies

smokeyoakey

Hi all

a shooting buddie and i had the misfortune to bag 300+ woodies on some disced bean stubble to the apparent disgust of SOME of the fellow pigeon shooters in Northamptonshire.

we needn't have shot that many as they weren't doing any harm we have been informed (any ideas of the cut off point )

Needless to say we daredn't tell anybody we shot 200+ last week on barley stubble.

All this and i have also been taken to Spain by my girlfriends parents, what a terrible month October is. Smokey& Blossem

Yeah, sounds like a possible troll working his way in here...but why respond and say that Woodies are Vermin..??

They are one of the most noble birds that graces our skies, and I hate to see people calling them vermin..that ranks them alongside rats, cockroaches and skanky ferals, which ain't really fair.

Double H.

Come on guys, are we going to rename the forum Pigeon Friends? You are starting to sound like Pigeon Huggers.

Whilst I agree they are a tremendously sporting quarry. They are for sure classed as Vermin. If I said to any of my farmers, "oh I'm just going to shoot twenty of those lovely blue birds", I wouldn't last five minutes. Respect them for sure but don't get carried away. They are the largest agricultural pest in the UK.

Hammy

Come on guys, are we going to rename the forum Pigeon Friends? You are starting to sound like Pigeon Huggers.

Whilst I agree they are a tremendously sporting quarry. They are for sure classed as Vermin. If I said to any of my farmers, "oh I'm just going to shoot twenty of those lovely blue birds", I wouldn't last five minutes. Respect them for sure but don't get carried away. They are the largest agricultural pest in the UK.

Hammy

hammy were going to have to watch this lot i think they have been cloned :lol::)

There have been many long interesting threads on the debate of whether a wood pigeon is a sporting bird or vermin.

I think the agreed conclusion is, that they are an agricultural pest and a challenging prospect in the sporting sense. :lol:

"Vermin" does sound a harsh word, "pest" is slightly more huggy. :)

There have been many long interesting threads on the debate of whether a wood pigeon is a sporting bird or vermin.

I think the agreed conclusion is, that they are an agricultural pest and a challenging prospect in the sporting sense. :lol:

"Vermin" does sound a harsh word, "pest" is slightly more huggy. :)

god no they haven't got to you as well have they cranfield

At the end of the day we all like a decent bag when we go pigeon shooting, once in a while we might be lucky enough to have a real "red letter" day. I've been shooting pigeons for 35 years now and can number those days on the fingers of one hand with few 100 days to my credit. I don't class pigeons as "vermin", they are however listed as a "pest" species and as such can be shot a lot more freely than some other birds. I don't hate pigeons or rabbits but see both as legitimate quarry, anything I shoot or catch gets used, not chucked in the hedge or buried, whether it's personal consumption, given away to those who appreciate good food or sold to a game dealer to partly recoup my expenses.

If I go ferreting it's to clear rabbits, I get some good ground to ferret and keep it as I'm seen to be doing a good job, likewise if helping to clear pigeons from crops.

We need to stop apologising for following our legitimate country pursuits or risk giving the antis the impression that we feel we are in the wrong !!!.

I for one won't be giving up pigeon shooting, ferreting or fishing until it suits me, not at the whim of some politician or ill advised townie pressure group.

Maybe I should clarify this re Smokeyoakey: Wasn't suggesting he was any form of anti, quite the opposite. I was merely trying to suggest that his original post was truthful in as much as he professed to have shot some large bags (if it's who I think it may be). Don't know why he hasn't responded to the replies or given more info in his profile but IMHO that's his business not mine. I don't quite understand why anyone who shoots pigeons feels the need to apologise for shooting a good bag, it's what we all go out to do surely ?.

Edited by old rooster

Ok Lads / Lasses i get the drift. Sorry iv'e not replied or placed the correct info in the 1st place i'm a busy (old) boy.

No I'm not an anti, and for some strange reason seem to be getting among them woodies in October, me and another Gazza another shooting buddie bagged 366 (a record) for me on sat 29/10/05.

iv'e got all the photo's on my phone, just got to find out how to wiz them over to the forum.