Rabbit, meet .22-250

Billy.

i agree in most cases as long as its dead its dead! but a) that back drop was a scandle and :o i would never shoot a rabbit with anything bigger than a .22 rim because i think it starts taking away the sporting nature of rabbit shooting. That weren't exactly a hard shot with a 22-250 was it-if he had blown its leg of it probably would of died straight away from pure shock!-its a good vid to watch tho!. :o

Edited by tomhw100

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

Not my video before anyone asks.

Hopefully this might give someone justification for getting this rifle!

I realise that this is not your video so I am not faulting you for the contents of the video, however, I'm not too sure what you mean by saying that "this might give someone justification for getting this rifle" as this is not the best way to demonstrate safe shooting with a rifle of that caliber! The back stop was terrible, the shot should not have been taken from that position, and how in heavens name can be blowing a rabbit to pieces be justification for buying this caliber of rifle?

There's overkill and there's overkill, but that is simply over the top and if viewed by "the wrong sort of people" this could give all sensible and responsible shooters a pretty poor reputation!!

Sorry guys but that is my opinion!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Was trying to work out what that was in the background!!!! Monumentally stupid shot IMHO

To be fair, we don't know the shot was taken from the same point as the video. The bullet could be traveling from left to right as we see it.

That said its not exactly an example of best practice in pest control. Not putting that bunny on anyone's table either.

you certainly read some varied posts on this forum,which makes me think what kind of idiots we have out there patrolling the countryside. this is is a living animal and in my eyes should be shown some respect and not blown to pieces by an idiot with a 22-250. what good is the rabbbit to anybody. dead is dead? what kind of half assed comment is that to make? it would be dead with a 22 and still be put on the table.

ok...so i slowed it down on proper software...for a start, the bullet is traveling left to right and hits the bank the the right of the bunny. This shows the shooter is maybe 2 or 3 ft to the left of the camera. Secondly..Thats not a car in the background....

But still overkill IMO.

Best,

DF

ok...so i slowed it down on proper software...for a start, the bullet is traveling left to right and hits the bank the the right of the bunny. This shows the shooter is maybe 2 or 3 ft to the left of the camera. Secondly..Thats not a car in the background....

But still overkill IMO.

Best,

DF

So would you have taken the shot? with any calibre?

Andy

Edited by Doggone

Apologies for the 'justification' statement I made on the original post. I just always see people asking if they should get a 22-250 for foxing, so I thought it might show the raw power of this little round.

No problem, maybe I could have worded my reply a little better. While I see anything bigger that say a 17HMR or a .22LR as being a bit of an overkill on rabbit others might no doubt think differently. However, I would be one of the first to admit that the 22-250 is (In my opinion) about the best caliber of rifle suitable for a "dedicated" foxing rifle!

Also I have to agree with Dogfox - After slowing the footage down and looking more closely at it while I can't quite make out exactly where the shooter is in relation to the backstop the one thing that I can say is what looks like a vehicle in the background is in fact a felled tree!

I do however stand by what I said about blowing a rabbit apart with a 22-250 is not the sort of thing that we would want the "wrong sort of people to see" though!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Not sure what the problem is with shooting bunnies with .22-250? I've done it, and so have others I know.

If vermin is conditioned on your FAC, then it's legal. If you're there to control a pest population and have no interest in the meat, where does the "sporting" aspect come into it?

A mightily expensive way to shoot rabbits, though!

it may well be legal,but there certain things that should be done and certain things that shouldnt. if you so please to blow a rabbit to bits with a big rifle then so be it,al bet there are plenty lads out there that have got bored on a nites lamping charlie and wiped out a rabbit just for the fun of it. but to hear some of the comments about it is a joke.lets thinks about it,who goes a nites lamping rabbits with a 22-250? nobody i know does. and to post it on a forum then hear **** like dead is dead? whats all that about. treat your quarry with the respect it deserves and dont blow it to pieces with,as frenchieboy puts it a proper foxing rifle.

it may well be legal,but there certain things that should be done and certain things that shouldnt. if you so please to blow a rabbit to bits with a big rifle then so be it,al bet there are plenty lads out there that have got bored on a nites lamping charlie and wiped out a rabbit just for the fun of it. but to hear some of the comments about it is a joke.lets thinks about it,who goes a nites lamping rabbits with a 22-250? nobody i know does. and to post it on a forum then hear **** like dead is dead? whats all that about. treat your quarry with the respect it deserves and dont blow it to pieces with,as frenchieboy puts it a proper foxing rifle.

No, I wouldn't personally go after solely rabbits with a large calibre. I got my .22-250 for fox mainly, but if I had the chance after the evening was finished, I'd go after a couple of bunnies.

How do you quantify "Respect" for quarry though? Clean kill?

Hold on guys, there's no need for handbags at twenty paces! If you read my comments properly what I have said is:

I do however stand by what I said about blowing a rabbit apart with a 22-250 is not the sort of thing that we would want the "wrong sort of people to see" though!

I have not said that you should not shoot a rabbit with a 22-250, nor have I said that it is illegal to. All I have said is that to video someone doing so and to put it up on somewhere like Youtube might not be the cleverest thing to do. Just stop and think for one minute what some people (Particularly the Anti Shooting Idiots) are going to think when they watch that video. There are some people that already think that us shooters are a load of blood thirsty idiots that will shoot anything that moves without any thought whatsoever, so why give them even more to complain about? And as for arguing amongst ourselves, isn't that playing into their hands as well? :angry: