Is getting a dog out of the question?

I am just starting to get into shooting and have always wanted a dog.

The only problem is that both me and my girlfriend work 9-5 and work is at least 15 miles from home.

Is it an option to have a dog (thinking a spaniel...) at all?

We have a reasonably big garden and space for a large kennel or shed. Is it advisable to keep them outside and still let them into the house?

Would we need to proof the garden so that it was escape proof? It would be quite easy as there are 6' fences along all sides.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Goldeneye,

Dogs are pack animals and really need to feel and be part of the family - they do not enjoy being on their own for more than a few hours. In my view it would therefore be unfair to own a dog in your current situation. Without knowing your personal circumstances I'd suggest waiting a while, maybe your girlfiriend will go part time in the future and having a dog would then fit in more with your lifestyle. They really are a huge committment. However if you do go ahead he/she would need to be taken out for a long walk before and after work and ideally you'd have a dog walker for a midday stroll - but this of course costs money. Also, when they are v young they are fed 4 times a day so initally someone would have to go home twice a day to feed the dog and let it do it's business.

All the best :shoot:

DONT GET A DOG,until you have found out more about ownership,training,vets etc,its a big commitment for the next 15 years and if you get it wrong its the dog that suffers,once you have found out more then you will be able to answer your own question in my opinion.

You can't leave it for more than 4 hours on it's own.

We leave our dog at home alone (JRT cross) for about 7 hours, 3 times a week, he is just about to go to sleep when we leave the house and fast asleep when I get home.

So you can't have hard and fast rules like that.

Have you got family nearby who could walk the dog or let it out?

Can you take the dog to work wih you?

Depending what shifts I'm on my dogs are lef for up to 7 hours 3 days a week but they have each other as company and father in law let's them into garden at lunchtime.

Sometimes it's only 3-4 hours.

I dont think I would have them if I were you unless you could sort something out during the day.

Piper

i have 3 dogs and if i have to leave them a long time ( which is hardly ever ) they are together and have access to drinking water .

if when i come home and they,ve **** every where then i just have to clear it up .

dogs dont actually have a concept of time , just company

so get 2 :good::good:

but seriously i would never leave just the one dog behind it would probably fret too much :shoot:

personally the biggest problem is when its young, my GWP used to go up to my mums dureing th day till she was about 12 months then slowly I left her at home more. She has the cat to terrorise and gets an hours walk before I leave at 08:30 but is fine till 6 when I get back. She always has been very clean in the house I've actually never had any mess to clear up since I've been leaving her. The interesting thing is weekends when I'm about she'll sleep a lot of it so they just get used to it. She has the cat to play / taunt but thats about it. My last two dogs weren't an issue though being terriers we had a cat flap they used and they had free run of the garden.

So it can be done but the first year will be difficult if you can'tget any help

i have one and he gets left for roughly 6 hours a day but he is outside started in the house and now have moved him outside. my dad used to have spaniels and his dad and right from the first day they brought them home were outside.

and they were cracking workers but my dad worked from home alot so he kept checking the dogs and there was always some one at home to check on them. so you can build a kennel and have the pup outside but make sure you have some one reliable and trust to go round and feed it when you are not there.

my dog's are left on their own for about 8 hrs a day,the cocker went to my parents through the day until he was about 7/8 months.as long as you walk the dog before you go to work and when you get home from work.leave it with water and food,i personally don't see a problem.i can't see any difference in going to work and leaving it at home than having a dog permanently living outside

i would seriously reconsider having a spaniel for your first dog though :shoot:

hi mate

when it comes to dogs and leaving them alone for long periods of time i wouldnt recommend it, you may find some serious destruction to your property, most gun dogs are picked for there high intelligence which means they will find something to do if they get bored, take my oldest dog louie a 5yr old weimaraner when he was younger he decided to help himself to a £500 crash helmet off a top shelf in the living room (still cant figure out how he got up there to get it) and chew it up beyond all recognition and we only left him for 2,5 hours, so be warned and get a dog at your own peril

joe :good::P:D

Look into maybe getting an older dog, when i got my last pup i timed it that i was working locally and was able to get home for an hour everyday with him, i wouldn't recommend leaving a pup all day alone but once their up a bit it should be no problem!! :)