Please can you give me some rifle advice

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I am after my first .17hmr rifle and after looking around I am totally confused, so I thought I would do a post on here and ask you guys with more knowledge for a little advice. The rifle must be in .17hmr and the rest of the criteria the rifle should match are as below.

1. Synthetic Stock.

2. Varmint/Heavy Barrel.

3. Good reputation for accuracy.

4. Stainless Steel Barrel if possible.

5. Carbine if possible.

6. At least 4 shot with magazine.

I will spend up to £1000 for the right gun with scope and sound mod, so what do you think I should get???

Please feel free to add your ideas.

Hiya Guys,

I am after my first .17hmr rifle and after looking around I am totally confused, so I thought I would do a post on here and ask you guys with more knowledge for a little advice. The rifle must be in .17hmr and the rest of the criteria the rifle should match are as below.

1. Synthetic Stock.

2. Varmint/Heavy Barrel.

3. Good reputation for accuracy.

4. Stainless Steel Barrel if possible.

5. Carbine if possible.

6. At least 4 shot with magazine.

I will spend up to £1000 for the right gun with scope and sound mod, so what do you think I should get???

Please feel free to add your ideas.

With all due respect, if this is your first rifle just how do you know what you want???

As the last reply above, I would save some money and buy something from this range, you will not go wrong with any of them!!

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz.aspx

With all due respect, if this is your first rifle just how do you know what you want???

As the last reply above, I would save some money and buy something from this range, you will not go wrong with any of them!!

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz.aspx

I take on board what your saying, but I have shot rimfire with my dad and brother for a few years now and have a good idea of the sort of things I like with my dads guns, I am just finding it hard to tick all the boxes that I have.

I like the look of the CZ's, the only problem with them really is that they have a ropey trigger mechanism, also through years of experience with air rifles I spent a lot of money on cheaper less accurate guns when I now wish I had just saved up for longer and bought the Daystate airwolf to start with.

I would prefer the buy the best I can afford first time instead of wishing I had bought something better all the time and eventually getting it 10 years later having spent double on not so good rifles.

Edited by robbobsam

i got a savage arms, heavy stainless barrel, black synthetic stock, 2x 5shot mags. Shot loads of rabbits, crows and 2 foxes with - cant fault it.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

model is 93R17 FVSS

I was hoping someone was going to mention the Savage range of guns, I looked at these at Garlands and the only thing I didnt like about them was the trigger. The accutrigger seemed a bit uncomfortable to me and I really didnt like it, other than that, the savage ticks all the boxes.

Can you get a trigger job done on it to get rid of the accutrigger :good:

I take on board what your saying, but I have shot rimfire with my dad and brother for a few years now and have a good idea of the sort of things I like with my dads guns, I am just finding it hard to tick all the boxes that I have.

I like the look of the CZ's, the only problem with them really is that they have a ropey trigger mechanism, also through years of experience with air rifles I spent a lot of money on cheaper less accurate guns when I now wish I had just saved up for longer and bought the Daystate airwolf to start with.

I would prefer the buy the best I can afford first time instead of wishing I had bought something better all the time and eventually getting it 10 years later having spent double on not so good rifles.

There is always the other side of the coin..."why on earth did I spend all this money on a gun when everone else around me has spend half as much and shoots just as well?"

PS trigger upgrade for a CZ is about £15.

I was hoping someone was going to mention the Savage range of guns, I looked at these at Garlands and the only thing I didnt like about them was the trigger. The accutrigger seemed a bit uncomfortable to me and I really didnt like it, other than that, the savage ticks all the boxes.

Can you get a trigger job done on it to get rid of the accutrigger :good:

You asked for details of "Quality" guns that you would not regret buying, that's why nobody has mentioned Savage!!

You are all over the place, Anschutz or Sako are going to cost a bit and are pretty reasonable, a CZ will cost less and shoot just as well, a Savage is a heap of ****!

It's your money and obviously you will spend it as you want, but I struggle to see how Savage could be discussed in the same breath as Quality guns!..have you ever seen/felt/touched/used one?:yes:

ATB!!

And as for the triggers on the CZ rimfires, my .22lr was rubbish but a kit from Rimfire magic for £12 including postage sorted that, its now real sweet. My CZ .17hmrs trigger was brilliant straight out of the box. What you need to do is go into a large RFD's with plenty of selection and hold a few and see what you like then get some reviews off the net or on this forum.

marlin do a heavy barrel in black synthetic.not fussed on the action myself but accuracy is meant to be outstanding.pretty cheap as well i could have bought one at £280 a few months back.i opted for the cz american with varmint barrel.the sako quad would be a better rifle though more expensive

You asked for details of "Quality" guns that you would not regret buying, that's why nobody has mentioned Savage!!

You are all over the place, Anschutz or Sako are going to cost a bit and are pretty reasonable, a CZ will cost less and shoot just as well, a Savage is a heap of ****!

It's your money and obviously you will spend it as you want, but I struggle to see how Savage could be discussed in the same breath as Quality guns!..have you ever seen/felt/touched/used one?:good:

ATB!!

Ok, your right bro, I am all over the place, I admitted at the top of this thread that I have read a lot and looked at a few rifles in the flesh but I wanted to get the low down from guys like you with a lot more experience.

My ideal choice would be an Anschutz, purely on pedigree, but I am put off as they do not appear to sell a synthetic stock in .17hmr, Savage is as I have already been told, a less than great gun, and CZ appears to be loved by the masses, other than the trigger which can be recified with a trigger jobby from Rimfire Magic.

I remember another issue now with the CZ's now, only a minor issue though, is the barrel on the heavy barrelled synthetic "Style Model" a floating barrel ?

I am coming to the conclusion that the CZ is the way I am going to have to go, Can anyone give me an acurate honest opinion on the Sako Quad please. I understand that they do a Synthetic with a heavy barrel, what are they like, I have never seen one in the flesh?

Ok, your right bro, I am all over the place, I admitted at the top of this thread that I have read a lot and looked at a few rifles in the flesh but I wanted to get the low down from guys like you with a lot more experience.

My ideal choice would be an Anschutz, purely on pedigree, but I am put off as they do not appear to sell a synthetic stock in .17hmr, Savage is as I have already been told, a less than great gun, and CZ appears to be loved by the masses, other than the trigger which can be recified with a trigger jobby from Rimfire Magic.

I remember another issue now with the CZ's now, only a minor issue though, is the barrel on the heavy barrelled synthetic "Style Model" a floating barrel ?

I am coming to the conclusion that the CZ is the way I am going to have to go, Can anyone give me an acurate honest opinion on the Sako Quad please. I understand that they do a Synthetic with a heavy barrel, what are they like, I have never seen one in the flesh?

I loved my quad but didnt have the heavy barrel, at 22" its a long gun so i had mine chopped to 14", with a 4" sak mod on it, it was a lot easier to use in the car.

I have a cz in .22 with a trigger kit fitted and whereas its a nice trigger, its not as nice as the quads was.......

shaun

Guys,

I am really grateful for all your suggestions, I think I am coming down on the side of the CZ or Sako. I would go for the Anschutz if it had a model in synthetic but unfortunately they dont seem to do a synthetic model.

Oh Well.

I am going to go to a large gun shop and handle as many as possible to make the final decision.

another vote for marlin 917's here :yes:

been out with mine today, gun just gets better everytime i use it. i have the 917v with heavy barrel and wooden stock, but theres plenty of types with stainless barrels and synthetic stocks, take a look here

just my 2p, but i got my marlin for £300, there were cz's in the shop but they were about £375. on top of that the cz's felt too light to me, almost like a toy gun :good:

ps not sure what you mean by carbine, as the only semi auto rimfire you can have is a .22lr :lol:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Guys,

I am really grateful for all your suggestions, I think I am coming down on the side of the CZ or Sako. I would go for the Anschutz if it had a model in synthetic but unfortunately they dont seem to do a synthetic model.

Oh Well.

I am going to go to a large gun shop and handle as many as possible to make the final decision.

I have an Anschutz 1517 and it really is as crisp and refined as it should be!! Downside is that it comes with a 4 round mag - honestly, what were they thinking!! I noted that there was some talk of cutting down barrels, just bear in mind that part of the advantage of having the HMR is the supersonic round and the speed and flatness of the trajectory. Shortening the barrel will decrease the muzzle velocity and I'm sure there are some US gun geeks that have the data. Just seems odd to bring the barrel down negating some of the advantages of the calibre. The long barrel (with moderator) was a pain the car but perfectly manageable for shooting out the sunroof and window!

Can't help on the synthetic front though, sorry! But thought 2p worth might prove handy.

Flyboy

another vote for marlin 917's here :blush:

ps not sure what you mean by carbine, as the only semi auto rimfire you can have is a .22lr :look:

remington do a .22WMR in semi auto, and it's legal in england, does "carbine" mean semi auto? i thought it was just a short barrelled version of a standard rifle.