17 hmr

High velocity

I have now recieved confarmation off flo :lol: and awaiting my best ever birthday and christmas card rolled into one envelope to come through the post :lol:

The process of filling in the form and having my interview with the staffs fire arms department officer (very nice chap) was i thought hard work :lol:

But then comes the most difficult job of all

CHOOSING THE .17 HMR

WHICH ONE DO I GO FOR ? ? ? ? ?

i first looked at savage and yes it was "savage" you needed a tool kit to use the bolt and a jemmy to remove the magazine. i did like the look laminate & ss heavy barrel.

cz looks ok price is good

ruger not looked at yet tomorrow at sporting supplies

weihrauch look very nice, trigger good -but pricy

I am not the kind of person who swaps and changes so what i buy is for keeps, til it wears away :lol:

i would recomend the cz

i dont like ruggers full stop (semi auto's are even worse)

the savage is pretty, but i would never have a savage due to others ive used

the weihrauch is a good gun, the bolt lift is heavy, and the gun is heavy, it is accurate as you like, but having used one in .22 for a good number of years i cant say i would buy one for myself (oh and the trigger is second to none, despite me not liking two stage triggers)

the CZ cheap, magazines leave something to be desired in the build quality department, but they function, the standard trigger is more often than not poor, but can be fixed with a handful of brass tubing and new springs (or a brooks kit, same stuff just £12.50)

i would have the cz, ive had my .22 for a while now and can honestly say out of all the rifles ive ever seen being used from new, the cz (not just mine others as well) just settle down to shooting excelent groups after hardly any shots at all. (mine groups sub 1/4" after only 20 rounds.

cz wood is also a hit or miss affair, i ended up refinishing mine to hide the lack of grain. but there are some real corkers out there, i believe one of the members recently bought a cz lux off this forum, and i seem to recall that wood was top notch.

You won't get anyone on here saying a bad word about CZ452's.

I would buy a 16" Style, I am not bothered about wood/blue, as my guns get used and abused in all conditions and not hung on the wall over the fireplace.

We need someone to buy something else and tell us how good that is, or at least we could get some commission from Edgar Brothers :lol::lol:

the hw60-66 (60 has a heavier barrel and a nicer target stock) (66 has a semi heavy barrel with semi montecarlo stock) (might have got the numbers the wrong way around :thumbs: )

both use the great trigger and are very well made indeed, the bolt lift is a slight anoyance, but if you get a good movement on its not an issue.

the problem i have with the gun is this, the very long barrel (not sure exact length) but its a good 3 or 4 inches longer than my 21" cz. The ballence of the gun is very much over the front hand, some people like this, but i much preffer the weight to be back towards the trigger.

have a feel of one, they are a quality rifle and if these points dont bother you, then you will have a very nice gun indeed. only point is they have been very much over priced these days, about 10 years ago my dad got his for £200.

to be honest i think the cz is the rifle to beat, it is lower priced than the modern priced weihrauch's and shoots as well as them, the trigger isnt as good, but it can be easily improved to about 99% of the weihrauch. the cz now comes in a 16" which im told handles very nicely and is a very neutral ballence. but the blueing and magazine construction/quality is far superiour on the weihrauch.

horses for courses, have a feel of one and see what you think of it

Cheers nick, food for thought there, its a pity that you cant try before you buy.

thanks also for all other comments.

just opened that all important very nice looking brown envelope stamped crime stoppers in the corner. :lol::lol::lol: didnt take as long as i thought after reading posts on hear i was expecting it to be after christmas, only took 6 1/2 weeks from my application. :thumbs:

It also has on certificate that 17hmr shall be used for fox/vermin. :P

thanks all

hv

Hiya High V

CZ varmint and my ticket had fox and vermin on it. Up to 100 yds ,be sensible, you'll see if you haven't already that this amazing little round has plenty of clout epecially the 20 grain cci hollowpoint as opposed to the hornady tipped. I've dropped 5 charlies to date with head and heart shots cleanly with no runners or wrigglers.

I fitted the Brookies trigger kit for £12 and transformed the rifle as is from the box.

Enjoy your choice whatever it may be.

Cheers John

On one of my permissions the land is mainly used for the purpose of rearing lambs amongst other things and AT a cetain time of year should charlie appear then he is dispatched with my .223.

However i also shoot on a Golf Course and not only is charlie given a reprieve he or they are also fed with a few shot rabbits as well .

What reason have i to shoot them..........none .....for they present no danger to the greens whatso ever .

Should they stray on to lambing land ............well thats an entirely different story.

Well Said HV.....................CONSERVATION is what we are about

Ive

I think that i am going to be a bit different on this one every person i have spoken to seems to rate the CZs. Ok i did ask on this forum which is the one to have, and the overwhelming mojority go for CZs.

"BUT" i am going to be different. having looked at and felt :lol: nearly all that have been produced. i have fallen in love with one lovely looking peace of kit. I have even had dreams about it :thumbs: must be love :lol:

Edited by High velocity

I think that i am going to be a bit different on this one every person i have spoken to seems to rate the CZs. Ok i did ask on this forum which is the one to have, and the overwhelming mojority go for CZs.

"BUT" i am going to be different. having looked at and felt :P nearly all that have been produced. i have fallen in love with one lovely looking peace of kit. I have even had dreams about it :thumbs: must be love :lol:

and what piece of kit is that, or do i misunderstand :lol:

get a cz, you know it makes sense :lol: