Scope magnification

i am sorry i dont live closer, but you should post up in the shooting wanted section, im sure you could get a mentor or someone to teach you how to shoot; admittedly sometimes its a case of either you got it or you dont, but i reckon with a bit of time and effort (and a few hundred rounds) you might be able to push your range out to 150 yards :yes:

:hmm::good::yes:

I used to have a fixed x10 mag on mine, and a very nice bit of kit too! gone and changed it to a 4-16x42 mtc so now i can see where the bullets POI is at 150yds without having to get up, by the way 200yds isn't out of the question with one of these as i tried it out the other day, i usually restrict myself to 100yds but out pops a rabbit at about 170yds and bingo! dead as a dodo..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no thanks, i have a rule that i only shoot stuff that i can get to quickly to dispatch if necessary, 600 yards would be a bit too far, though i'm flattered by your offer. and who said i bought the hmr just to shoot coke cans? that bet came after buying the gun, one drunken night when trying to study some figures on a ballistics calcultor with a friend :hmm: im planning on rabbits at 200 yards, shouldnt be a problem as my first kill on my first day after zeroing in was a rabbit at 130 yards, and there might be the odd crow/magpie up to 250 yards too, once i get my eye in and if im happy enough with the damage the rounds do at that range :good:

i am sorry i dont live closer, but you should post up in the shooting wanted section, im sure you could get a mentor or someone to teach you how to shoot; admittedly sometimes its a case of either you got it or you dont, but i reckon with a bit of time and effort (and a few hundred rounds) you might be able to push your range out to 150 yards :yes:

Sorry to disappoint, but I already have about 6,000 acres to shoot over, and that's enough.

I too have shot rabbits with my hmr out to over 150 yards, but I stopped doing that when i discovered that 'certain' head shots at that range were not possible.

I do remember going out with a guy to Minsterly ranges over here - he reckoned with his HW hmr that he could shoot clover leafs at 100 yards, and I was anxious to see how he did it. The problem was that on the day he could only do 1.25" groups at best, and my Annie could do half of that.

You see now and again we get similar ficticious claims on PW, and I can see that you have absolutely nothing to learn.

It's a pity that you do live over there, as I would like for you to mentor me. After all, with my 40 years shooting I could do with a refresher from a true expert.

You have packed in so much, in so little time.

Don

Sorry to disappoint, but I already have about 6,000 acres to shoot over, and that's enough.

I too have shot rabbits with my hmr out to over 150 yards, but I stopped doing that when i discovered that 'certain' head shots at that range were not possible.

I do remember going out with a guy to Minsterly ranges over here - he reckoned with his HW hmr that he could shoot clover leafs at 100 yards, and I was anxious to see how he did it. The problem was that on the day he could only do 1.25" groups at best, and my Annie could do half of that.

You see now and again we get similar ficticious claims on PW, and I can see that you have absolutely nothing to learn.

It's a pity that you do live over there, as I would like for you to mentor me. After all, with my 40 years shooting I could do with a refresher from a true expert.

Don

True i was there :good:

In my eye anything past 150 yrds with a HMR is hit and hope Fact :hmm:

I did get two holes touching at 100 yards once. Didn't dare put a third in to ruin my luck :hmm:

On bunnies I don't go over 10x, but do sometimes when zeroing. What's annoting i that my magnification marks on my scope aren't true. It's about 10x when set to 14 or 15. This has been compared with many other optics! So when I crank it up to 18x for zeroing it's actually about 12 times.

For targets might want to go higher than 12 for targets or if your eyes are crud.

Don

:yes: never said i have nothing to learn, but i do think you need to stop reading between the lines in my posts and jumping to conclusions. who said id be going for headshots at 200 yards on a rabbit?? at 200 yards the hmr is still going at over 1800 fps, with an energy of over 130ft/lbs, the drop is only about 9", easy to work out on a high magnification mil dot scope :hmm: plus a chest shot (bearing in mind that most of the meat on a rabbit is at the rear) is hardly the most difficult thing in the world at that range; more than sufficient for a clean kill when you consider most 22lr subs, although having twice the bullet weight, have a muzzle velocity of around 1000fps or less :good:

now,as for the long shot, a coke can is what, about 6" high and 3" wide? at 300 yards the drop is about 36", 3ft, again not that difficult to work out, and should be possible to do if shooting off a steady platform, like sand bags, etc, on a still day - my 10/22 was busting targets (clays hung on posts) at 187 yards on boxing day (witnessed by 12 people, 2 who are members here) after a few calculations, so 300 yards for a hmr shouldnt be too difficult, esp as mine was turning up 1" groups at 150 yards on the first day i had it out - why do you think i was confident enough to bowl over a rabbit at 130 yards after only putting 40 rounds through the gun?

now i wouldnt say i have packed in so much in so little time, but i would point out that although youre shooting 40 years, the hmr and all these wonderful ballistic calculators and rangefinders have only been around for the last few, so perhaps you could do with a bit of a refresher and doing some research into them before jumping on people before you get all the facts :yes:

think weve derailed this long enough, what scopes is everyone else using then?

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Ah, I do love posts where people are going to use their 17 at up to 300 yards - makes me realise what a **** shot I am.

I use a Swaro 4-12mag and tend to leave it on the 12 mag. This is plenty for head shots on rabbits at the 100 yards range.

Don

Don, if 100 yards is your maximum with it I'd sell the swaro and put a whitetail classic on it. Invest the change on shooting lessons. :yes: Lorraine regularly and consistently headshoots hares at up to 160 yards usually at 8 mag. AND SHE'S A GIRL :hmm::good::yes:

Clover leafs at 100 yards should be a piece of cake with a decent HMR, heres one i did IN THE TWILIGHT with a lamp!! nO FANCY SCOPES JUST A CHEAP rICHTER OPTICS BOUGHT FROM SOMEONE ON HERE!!

113006.jpg

I wouldnt say i was the best paper puncher in the world but I have shot many rabbits at over 200 yards and I can hit an apple at 200 consistently. The longest rabbit I shot was 284 yards with a hold over of 2 mildots on a hawke side winder a witnessed shot, I have taken a few since over 250 but because of all the armchair bigots on this forum dont bother to post about it any more. Bigots taht have hardly used thier HMR let alone push it....statements like this:

In my eye anything past 150 yrds with a HMR is hit and hope Fact good.gif
have you tested your rangefinder or have you got oddly short legs tongueff.gif
Unless you have bullets that defy gravity either you were holding over or your rangefinder is set in feet (or doesn't work)

What these people are really saying is that you are a liar but have nevr really tried or have the ability to shoot at those ranges. Im bored with the bigotry on here to be honest, how many of the critics actually bothered to attempt a shot over 200 let alone 250? very few, perhaps with the exception of pavman.

A rabbit is a fairly big target compared to the bullseye on a piece of paper, I dont profess to be a super shot, but I shot airguns for years and so I suppose to an extent that hold over comes fairly easy.

Hitting a coke can at 300 yards, if your scope is up to it then why not? Get off your high horses and try it. :hmm:

Edited by Evil Elvis

Clover leafs at 100 yards should be a piece of cake with a decent HMR, heres one i did IN THE TWILIGHT with a lamp!! nO FANCY SCOPES JUST A CHEAP rICHTER OPTICS BOUGHT FROM SOMEONE ON HERE!!

113006.jpg

I wouldnt say i was the best paper puncher in the world but I have shot many rabbits at over 200 yards and I can hit an apple at 200 consistently. The longest rabbit I shot was 284 yards with a hold over of 2 mildots on a hawke side winder a witnessed shot, I have taken a few since over 250 but because of all the armchair bigots on this forum dont bother to post about it any more. Bigots taht have hardly used thier HMR let alone push it....statements like this:

What these people are really saying is that you are a liar but have nevr really tried or have the ability to shoot at those ranges. Im bored with the bigotry on here to be honest, how many of the critics actually bothered to attempt a shot over 200 let alone 250? very few, perhaps with the exception of pavman.

A rabbit is a fairly big target compared to the bullseye on a piece of paper, I dont profess to be a super shot, but I shot airguns for years and so I suppose to an extent that hold over comes fairly easy.

Hitting a coke can at 300 yards, if your scope is up to it then why not? Get off your high horses and try it. :good:

Whoa Elvis

I never call anyone a liar unless it is face to face - and there ain't many brave men out there who would do that.

I don't profess to be paper puncher, but as I said I am always willing to learn.

I head shoot rabbits out to 100 yards because I sell them - at 100 yards it should be easy with any decent hmr in field conditions.

I too have shot airguns for years - so what? In my record year with a FW Sport 0.177 I shot 372, and all headshot. I didn't miss many because what I shoot at I want to be extremely dead, with no bits blown off and running around. Because of this I probably do restrict my range - but in my book this is better than wounding.

Now if you can do cloverleafs with your hmr at 100 yards in the twilight in the field then I would like to see you do it as I am willing to learn. In fact I have £25 that is yours when I see you do it. The downside of course if that you pay me £50 if you don't. As I see it this is a dead cert for you - easy money.

You see now and again with my hmr I get decent groups with the odd touching shots, and I put this down to a fluke. I can average 0.75" without too much trouble and have never seen anyone get below 0.5" under field conditions, time after time.

Headshooting a hare at 150 yards - a fairly big target - probably equal to headshooting rabbits at 100 yards.

Don

its fine for 125 to 150 yards but much over that it gets more lucky despite the power figures Ozzy. Though knowing how good your countrymen are at embellishing things I can entirely believe you use your .22 at 140 Irish yards :big_boss:

yep thats true, irish yards measured with a bushnell rangefinder bought from an english member of this site :good:

I find between 100 and 150 the target area gets very small as the rabbits sit hunched up. At these ranges they alway get hit in the neck or chest, or a clean miss, as under field conditions I find it harder to be accurate. Up to 100 they are always head-shots.

I have shot as many rabbits at 120-130 as I have missed, so I often try and stalk to 100. There is quite some satisfaction in pulling off a longer shot I must agree.

ah in that case its probably measuring in feet :no:

seriously though you can kill with the HMR at 200 yards but not effectively whereas 100-130 yards pretty much everything is dead

im planning on rabbits at 200 yards, shouldnt be a problem as my first kill on my first day after zeroing in was a rabbit at 130 yards, and there might be the odd crow/magpie up to 250 yards too, once i get my eye in and if im happy enough with the damage the rounds do at that range <_<

na think it was set up for furlongs... :lol:

al you should know me well enough by now, as i said above itll only be when i get my eye in and if im happy enough with the damage itll do at longer range. im going to spend alot of time bashing targets (need to find a dishwasher now i think of it...) at different ranges. from what ive seen so far, plus what ive been told, and looking at all the available data it should be simple enough as long as i do my bit and put the bullet where it needs to be, but ill be testing everything out before i go for a rabbit over 150 yards :big_boss:

though the coke can is ****** no matter what happens :good::oops:

Whoa Elvis

I never call anyone a liar unless it is face to face - and there ain't many brave men out there who would do that.

I wasnt singling out individuals dude. it seems that if anyone achieves something, something that pushes the boundaries and theres witnesses and its laser measured theres always some cock on here who will come out with some stupid comment like the ones pasted above to discredit you. I dont need to punch another clover leaf to prove i can do it....the evidence is there, witnessed by BOB300w....who was , I have to say suprised but i did it never the less....shooting off sandbags not my usual pod, there are actually 3 rounds in that pattern if i remember rightly. And they were the first 3 rounds after zeroing!!!

Im tired of all the armchair doubting thomases out there but I am going to try the coke can when i get time.

CAN ANYONE LEND ME A SUPERBITCHMUTHERALLSINGINGALLDANCINGCALIBRATED RANGE FINDER??? AS OBVIOUSLY MY BUSHNELL LEGEND MUST BE FAULTY???

Edited by Evil Elvis

I wasnt singling out individuals dude. it seems that if anyone achieves something, something that pushes the boundaries and theres witnesses and its laser measured theres always some cock on here who will come out with some stupid comment like the ones pasted above to discredit you. I dont need to punch another clover leaf to prove i can do it....the evidence is there, witnessed by BOB300w....who was , I have to say suprised but i did it never the less....shooting off sandbags not my usual pod, there are actually 3 rounds in that pattern if i remember rightly. And they were the first 3 rounds after zeroing!!!

Im tired of all the armchair doubting thomases out there but I am going to try the coke can when i get time.

CAN ANYONE LEND ME A SUPERBITCHMUTHERALLSINGINGALLDANCINGCALIBRATED RANGE FINDER??? AS OBVIOUSLY MY BUSHNELL LEGEND MUST BE FAULTY???

Elvis I don't doubt at all that you can and will do it. I used to try long range shooting many moons ago and often surprised myself at what can be done. The better the kit and experienced man behind the gun then the better the result.

The only thing that makes me twitch are the posts that occasionally appear that say "I killed a rabbit at 220 yards with my hmr", and these guys refuse to admit that it's probably a fluke. For every one they kill at this range there will be lots that are wounded. Now if they were to use a 22 centrefire then I would say that's fine, because most 22 centrefires are accurate and consistent at that range.

If someone were to show that the hmr can consistently, time after time produce cloverleafs with a hmr at 100 yards under normal conditions I would be the first to say "How did you do it, and I would be quite happy to pay you lots of dosh to show me how to do it".

I don't use a laser myself, and that's because in my kind of shooting I don't need one. Check my posts and you will not find any criticism of lasers, or night sights, or any other advanced pieces of kit.

Chill

Don

y "I killed a rabbit at 220 yards with my hmr", and these guys refuse to admit that it's probably a fluke

Yes and no, the one i did at 284 ...probably, I did one recently at 298 with me .222...yeah sounds like it..I must have shot high as I didnt conciously hold over....however...i have deliberately on one 6000 acre farm done a 200+ evening, all measured with the bushnell, before the shot was taken and shot 9 over that range in one evening........and, I missed one or 2 but those that I hit were very dead....i dont leave wounded animals I can assure you. If they still kicked at that range id shoot it again.

Now that you mention it, I have had far more "runners" up close with the hmr than at range, i think that they go ballistic better at range......when you shot a rabbit at 30 yards it has "too much" energy and zips straight thro more often than not and if you havent hit anything vital they can run.

Ill give the long range coke can thing a go, just for fun...but i also l think a life sized rabbit target at the same range will need to be used too!! Now all I got to do is find 300 yards with no rape, wheat or barley etc! :good:

Edited by Evil Elvis