Wild camping - luxury item to impress mates?

Blunderbuss

Me and and a group of mates go walking 3 or 4 times a year and take it in turns to organise it. Next weekend it's my turn and we are off to the lakes. Normally we stay in pubs, bunk houses or YHAs but this time, for one of our 3 nights we are going to wild camp next to a tarn.

I have decreed that everyone (there are 8 of us) is to bring a surprise luxury item to be revealed at the wild camp site. The rules are: it has to be food, drink or entertainment for the benefit of all. Now having had this brilliant idea, I'm a bit stumped as to what to take! :lol:;)

So I thought I would turn to the vast intellectual collective that is PW :good:

What can i take that is:

a. light to carry and robust enough to survive all day in my rucksack

b. falls into the above categories

c. will wow my mates with its luxury and originality

Ideas so far, which are all a bit lame I reckon, include: a bottle of vintage port and some well packed cheese and biscuits; home made game pie; blow up kids kayak for the tarn; catapult for an impromptu target shooting comp; home made whiskey cake.

What say you?;):P

Me and and a group of mates go walking 3 or 4 times a year and take it in turns to organise it. Next weekend it's my turn and we are off to the lakes. Normally we stay in pubs, bunk houses or YHAs but this time, for one of our 3 nights we are going to wild camp next to a tarn.

I have decreed that everyone (there are 8 of us) is to bring a surprise luxury item to be revealed at the wild camp site. The rules are: it has to be food, drink or entertainment for the benefit of all. Now having had this brilliant idea, I'm a bit stumped as to what to take! :lol:;)

What can i take that is:

If you taking a few birds with you- a cut glass cystal ashtray

Ideas so far, which are all a bit lame I reckon, include: a bottle of vintage port and some well packed cheese and biscuits; home made game pie; blow up kids kayak for the tarn; catapult for an impromptu target shooting comp; home made whiskey cake.

What say you?;):P

If you taking a few birds with you- a cut glass crystal ashtray?:P?:hmm:?:hmm:?:hmm:?:hmm:

Edited by starlight32

How about this for an idea... Get decent set of NVGs and make sure that one of your camp sites is a sortish walk away from a dogging site. When they ask what the score is with the glasses, just say that you have the ability t show thm top quality pron or something.

Easy.

If you taking a few birds with you- a cut glass crystal ashtray?:lol:?;)?:P?:hmm:?:hmm:

No birds unfortunately ;)

How about this for an idea... Get decent set of NVGs and make sure that one of your camp sites is a sortish walk away from a dogging site. When they ask what the score is with the glasses, just say that you have the ability t show thm top quality pron or something.

Easy.

:good: Hmm... your idea has merit!

I have decreed that everyone (there are 8 of us) is to bring a surprise luxury item to be revealed at the wild camp site. The rules are: it has to be food, drink or entertainment for the benefit of all. Now having had this brilliant idea, I'm a bit stumped as to what to take! ;) ;)

What can i take that is:

What say you?:P:hmm:

Been wild camping lots, and from my time in the military, the only thing that for me was a REAL luxury was the thing that when in the middle of nowhere and you get the 30 second warning, is............................

TOILET PAPER :lol:

Take lots, such a basic item, but without it, well you guess the rest.

Bigt

Been wild camping lots, and from my time in the military, the only thing that for me was a REAL luxury was the thing that when in the middle of nowhere and you get the 30 second warning, is............................

TOILET PAPER :good:

Take lots, such a basic item, but without it, well you guess the rest.

Bigt

Cheers for the reminder, easy enough to forget I suppose. I've done plenty of wild camping myself, in and out of the military, so I reckon I've got the basics covered - it s the wow factor luxury I'm struggling with.

This really depends on how much you are willing to spend but....

Get yourself an Adapt ADPP 305 Pocket Projector and take your iPod with a decent movie compressed and stored on it, then all you need is a folded up white sheet. This lot will take up as much room as a packet of fags, a pack of cards and, well, a folded up sheet!

When you break this out you will all be able to watch a movie on a 100" screen!!!!!! in the middle of nowhere!!!!!! Awesome ;)

Don't forget you'll also need some micro speakers of some description so you can hear it!!! :good:

OK, maybe a bit too pants but: A 10 pack of those huge Chinese paper lanterns that have the tiny burners in the bottom of them and fly off into the sky. They are very light, go for miles on a good night and if you let of a bunch together, can be quite a sight.

I'll have a think about more macho stuff now :good:

Sorry and I dont want to be a killjoy.

But dartmoor is the only real place in england you can wildcamp legally as shooters and fisherman we all are surley know that we should not be camping on private land .

As I am sure if we turned up on one of our shoots with campers be them ****** or just joe public we would all be shouting what a cheek spoiling our sport etc.

I know there is situations that needs you to bivi out unplanned I have done it twice and yes you may well keep the area clean and tidy up.

But unless you have permission by the land owner I would say give it a miss and it may even put at risk your licence if you get caught.

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Some decent steaks and a mini or disposable BBQ to cook em on followed by.....

Nice cigars if you like a smoke

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/

A nice bottle of single malt or brandy to go with them (16yr old lagavulin or Hine VSOP are my faves :good: )

Job Done.

If there's lady's scrap the food and stick with booze and twister ;)

I have the best thing ever..... but you are not allowed to take all the credit....................

1. Some fireworks or sparklers

2. a couple of those Chinese Lanterns

Edit:- Beaten to the Chinese lanterns

Edited by ph5172

Sorry and I dont want to be a killjoy.

But dartmoor is the only real place in england you can wildcamp legally as shooters and fisherman we all are surley know that we should not be camping on private land .

As I am sure if we turned up on one of our shoots with campers be them ****** or just joe public we would all be shouting what a cheek spoiling our sport etc.

I know there is situations that needs you to bivi out unplanned I have done it twice and yes you may well keep the area clean and tidy up.

But unless you have permission by the land owner I would say give it a miss and it may even put at risk your licence if you get caught.

Kind regards OTH

I am no ***** and we will not be camping in the middle of a pheasant shoot or on farmland. Our site is 2000 feet above sea level, at a remote spot, high in the Lake district national park. The site is a recognized wild camping spot and despite advice which says I don't need to here , I have checked with the parks authority and been told that we are ok provided we adopt the mantra of "take only photos, leave only footprints" which we always do. So thanks for your advice but I won't be giving it a miss.

To everyone else, some superb ideas, keep em coming.

I have the best thing ever..... but you are not allowed to take all the credit....................

1. Some fireworks or sparklers

2. a couple of those Chinese Lanterns

Edit:- Beaten to the Chinese lanterns

Yep, there's nothing like letting off a few fireworks or floating litter bombs to make you feel at one with nature :good:

Yep, there's nothing like letting off a few fireworks or floating litter bombs to make you feel at one with nature :good:

Sky Lanterns can be used safely and are very impressive. Sky Lanterns will fly for up to 20 minutes and can reach up to 1 mile high. Flying Lanterns are made from biodegradable materials & are flame retardant.

And i assume you are on about the noise of the fireworks, so from now on in Scotland all deer stalking is banned as the shots may cause disruption, same with all Grouse moors and any Search and Rescue Helicopter

We get so many balloons and recently some of those ****** lanterns. Disgusting things. Got big wire frameworks etc. Fireworks are a waste of time anyway. Bangers on the other hand. they can be quite fun if they're big

Vension medallions and cigars i'm still thinking. :good:

Edited by George1990

Despite your and others thoughts you still have to have the land owner permission be it national park ot private.

And if its recongized site any chance of the landranger map number an six figure grid ref for future ref.

To quote a few ref

On open access land wild camping is prohibited under sche 2 of countryside act and rights of ways act 2000 .

Most of the lakes and moors etc is in private ownership .

I no there is conflicting advice and I would be intrested I have yet to meet a ranger who speaks openly with on this subject .

I am not trying to upset you blunderbuss as you where of the first to welcome myself on the forum,

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

What can i take that is:

What say you?:P:hmm:

lap dancer defo buddy just think of the plus sides

a. she can carry all your gear

b. she can cook you all a meal

c. you dont need any other entertainment at night

d.if it gets cold youve got your own heater to cuddle up to

e. she can wash all the dishes

f. you dont have to take her home after

if you do get one give me a pm i,ll come to :good:;):lol:;)

Edited by cocker3