Canadian Goose Carcass

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway, back to original post.. :yes:

Sorry unclestuufy no canadas on my permissions. Have you got sorted or changed your mind now.. :yes:

Sorry I have been away this weekend so have not had chance to answer. Thank you to the members for their offers of help. I have not changed my mind but have got on with getting geese away from the public debate!! :yes: I think that this is a contested discussion on probably a number of occasions.- apologies if it has set hares running and offended a PW member (or two)

US

This is a very interesting topic, and one I'm not getting involved in as I'm not qualified to [only into shooting/hunting etc for a few months :yes: ]

Keep up the bickering though before this thread is edited or removed :yes: as it is very entertaining also, to see peoples views/opinions on this topic :good:

I have one question,,,, for the OP,,,,, Exactly what do you want this fresh canada goose carcass for :good:

Nobody else has asked this obvious Q :yes:

all the best,,,,

We are having a regional scout camp and I was after some rabbits (which I have) and some larger birds to teach the youngsters how so skin/ pluck then prepare the meat for eating - survival style.

Thisis a skill that is lost today with meat growing on the supermarket shelve in its own convienient polystryrene packaging.

US

Can you collect???

It doesn't get much fresher, and not peppered with shot either, just a neat hole in its head!

ATB!!

Dekers

Thank you for your kind offer but it is a bit far to travel but your offer is much appreciated. WY is a bit far I suspect and I am not due down south with work for while.

US

Well said :yes: hopefully the knitting/sewing shops will be busier on monday :yes:

But still the OP hasn't replied :yes:

JKD

Good observation I have been away but just returned. However it is difficult to comment when I have only ever been duck shooting once before.

US

Active , Deckers , Mark and some others , did you make any attempt to use non lethal methods to move on your Canada’s as the law requires , ie scare the birds first with flags , fireworks , bangers. If you had there would have been no need to shoot them at this time of year. A lot of the comments on here are not from sportsmen ... killers would be a better description . And once the public form the same impression that will be the end of shooting sports as we know them. i come under mr logic`s catergory of golfcourses and he has explained and answered this beautifully.

Some of you on here have accused wildfowlers of having their heads up their *****. You seem to have forgotten if it was not for the wildfowlers breeding and redistributing the around the country the geese back in the 1960s along with the WWT you would not have any geese to slaughter while they are breeding today. seems you wave a double edged sword about,as you have said previously,cull the geese before they beome a problem in season,so they save the geese so that you could do that under the "season "label

I for one am going to start lobbying BASC and DEFRA to remove Canada geese from the general licence in an attempt to stop the abusesyou go for it and best of luck and i hope they have a better view of things than you have. that are now going on. Shooting Canada’s under the terms of the general licence should be a last resort by law , not the first method of controlling themwhy is it a last resort?..mr logic has answered this,so in some cases it has to be the only way. Shooting any species under general licence is a privilege not a rightthey are put on it as a pest,not because it is a privlege. Abuse that right and the next thing is they will start looking at how the letter of the law is observed for other pest species such as Wood pigeons. Do not think your vermin shooting can be taken away from you. In Holland so called vermin and wild geese are protected by law and if they get out of control government officials cull them by gassing not shootingthat may turn out to be very difficult,as other species live within the warrens,..ie badgers will live with rabbits in a warren and yes,i have them on my shoot and have seen it. We do not want this happening in this country , but abuse the system and once the public opinion gets to realise to know what is happening it may happen here too. For gods sake used your heads , if there is a real problem shooting control may be necessary after all other methods have been tried but in the vast majority of cases it seems people on here are shooting first.

Act with sense and respect for our quarry and the public and there is no reason why shooting live quarry will not continue beyond our lifetime . Abuse the birds nobody is abusing them,they have given you valid reasons,which you will not acceptand the sport I love will have a very short future life. And do not think just because we have a Tory government this is unlikely , its under Tory governments that all the laws restricting live shooting and the guns we use to do it over the past 60 years have come in.

Pick up any copy of the Shooting Times and one of the few true comments that come out of that magazine is on the contents page

" The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please . We have it in trust. We must account for it for those who come after."

KING GEORGE V1.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for this forum to carry the same quote.

i have looked at it from your point of view but,it seems you are unwilling to listen to ours and want us to do it your way,when it is not feesable.

it is not as if we are shooting vast amounts of birds,only those that cause damage etc and no other option is available to us.

i think that you will not be swayed from your point of view to look at our position on this subject.shame that,as it would be nice to end this debate on an even keel.

al

Edited by albob

Active , Deckers , Mark and some others , did you make any attempt to use non lethal methods to move on your Canada’s as the law requires , ie scare the birds first with flags , fireworks , bangers. If you had there would have been no need to shoot them at this time of year. A lot of the comments on here are not from sportsmen ... killers would be a better description . And once the public form the same impression that will be the end of shooting sports as we know them.

Some of you on here have accused wildfowlers of having their heads up their *****. You seem to have forgotten if it was not for the wildfowlers breeding and redistributing the around the country the geese back in the 1960s along with the WWT you would not have any geese to slaughter while they are breeding today.

I for one am going to start lobbying BASC and DEFRA to remove Canada geese from the general licence in an attempt to stop the abuses that are now going on. Shooting Canada’s under the terms of the general licence should be a last resort by law , not the first method of controlling them. Shooting any species under general licence is a privilege not a right. Abuse that right and the next thing is they will start looking at how the letter of the law is observed for other pest species such as Wood pigeons. Do not think your vermin shooting can be taken away from you. In Holland so called vermin and wild geese are protected by law and if they get out of control government officials cull them by gassing not shooting. We do not want this happening in this country , but abuse the system and once the public opinion gets to realise to know what is happening it may happen here too. For gods sake used your heads , if there is a real problem shooting control may be necessary after all other methods have been tried but in the vast majority of cases it seems people on here are shooting first.

Act with sense and respect for our quarry and the public and there is no reason why shooting live quarry will not continue beyond our lifetime . Abuse the birds and the sport I love will have a very short future life. And do not think just because we have a Tory government this is unlikely , its under Tory governments that all the laws restricting live shooting and the guns we use to do it over the past 60 years have come in.

Pick up any copy of the Shooting Times and one of the few true comments that come out of that magazine is on the contents page

" The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please . We have it in trust. We must account for it for those who come after."

KING GEORGE V1.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for this forum to carry the same quote.

So wildfowlers don't kill geese because they want to?

Being as they need so much protection will you be asking for them to come off the quarry list too?

Edited by Dave-G

Yeah i know guys, I read it twice last night, resisted to comment about it, how unbelievable one sided can you be? What suits me in my part of the country and I'll shout and scream :good: sorry anser2 but thats the way it reads :lol:

anyways the link in my other post highlights exactly why there is this disagreement from posters

some good info here

answers a lot of the points raised from both sides of the argument, blows some points out of the water, well worth a read, although i think it must have been written before Canada's were put on the GL :lol:

I'm still no closer to knowing what a game controller is? I'm thinking its another name for a Walt

Isn't it one of these?

PlayStation_Controller_transparent.png

Although WALT is probably another very good description.