Canadian Goose Carcass

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i think this has gone off on a tangent.one guy wants one to eat and others are saying leave them alone,even though they can shoot them legally,so if someone has shot one or more and are doing so legally,then they can pass the bird on to the original poster.

this has been mixed up and i agree with dekers,open your minds and stop being blinkered.

al

i think this has gone off on a tangent.one guy wants one to eat and others are saying leave them alone,even though they can shoot them legally,so if someone has shot one or more and are doing so legally,then they can pass the bird on to the original poster.

this has been mixed up and i agree with dekers,open your minds and stop being blinkered.

al

You are entitled to agree with Dekers, as I am entitled to completely disagree with him. It has nothing to do with being blinkered and everything to do with the "They are on the list so I can shoot them" attitude.

Brent Geese are far more of a problem around me and Canadas are few and far between. They are also a fantastic eating bird and as the cannot be sold why would anyone want to shoot them in large numbers?

If they are causing damage then of course control them and numbers may not be an issue. My main point was basically they have young at the moment so you are killing next years sport as well as not many do damage at this time of year when crops are growing fast so its unlikely you would be abiding by the terms of the general license. Might as well go and shoot some pheasants while you're about it

You are entitled to agree with Dekers, as I am entitled to completely disagree with him. [/b]It has nothing to do with being blinkered and everything to do with the "They are on the list so I can shoot them" attitude.

Brent Geese are far more of a problem around me and Canadas are few and far between. They are also a fantastic eating bird and as the cannot be sold why would anyone want to shoot them in large numbers?

they will keep coming back and the damage they do is astonishing and i would say to you,would you let your kids play where canada geese have been pooing.i certainly would not and so what do we do about them.scare them off,they come back,you stay their all night to scare them,they come back or fly further way from you..so this goes on and your kids cannot play ,so what next?

the text highlighted is my problem,as no one has said they shoot for shooting sake and those that shoot them legally are two totally different things.

exterminate everything is a dr who thing and not wanted in shooting and no daleks on my shoot(yet).

things are done for a reason and in shooting if legally done,then they should not be criticised for it.the story goes,if you do not do it,then someone else will.that is why i keep my shoot,as many people will not shoot young rabbits,i will and do so many times and i cannot understand the argument about young canada geese either.young rabbits/woodies/cubs being shot is in what way different?..still young which ever way you look at it or is it the idea that they have done it that many times,that they have desentised(think that is the word) themselves to it.

funny thing is,i had a call from greenkeeper,that canda geese are causing a problem on the course..do you think i should leave them because it is morally wrong or they may become extinct because of me.

al

If they are causing damage then of course control them and numbers may not be an issue. My main point was basically they have young at the moment so you are killing next years sport as well as not many do damage at this time of year when crops are growing fast so its unlikely you would be abiding by the terms of the general license. Might as well go and shoot some pheasants while you're about it

if you are refering to me then i suggest you are being silly and morality can be good in some cases but,as you have said in your first line,morality will have to go out the window or how can you do what you said in your first line?

as for the pheasant remark..behave..you make me sound like a law unto myself and i`m not and sticking to the law and not morals.

the argument about killing next years sport is very selfish and does not sort (in my case)the golf courses damage problem and do not forget,that if a golf ball goes through this poo,plus walking in it,then we are into h&s territory.

also you mention crops..totally different thing and i cannot comment on that,as i only shoot courses at the moment.

i think this is going to be a case of agree to disagree thread.. :good: .

al

Edited by albob

I've read it all now............Health and Safety issues over a golfer and his balls being in contact with goose poo.

Being serious for a moment the recommended method of culling large numbers is to heard them up during the molt when they are flightless and humanely dispatch them.

if you are refering to me then i suggest you are being silly and morality can be good in some cases but,as you have said in your first line,morality will have to go out the window or how can you do what you said in your first line?

as for the pheasant remark..behave..you make me sound like a law unto myself and i`m not and sticking to the law and not morals.

the argument about killing next years sport is very selfish and does not sort (in my case)the golf courses damage problem and do not forget,that if a golf ball goes through this poo,plus walking in it,then we are into h&s territory.

also you mention crops..totally different thing and i cannot comment on that,as i only shoot courses at the moment.

i think this is going to be a case of agree to disagree thread.. :good: .

al

quite right too.

seems its ok for some to flatten a vixen and cubs under the pest control banner then slag others of for killing other pests.

hypocrite. :lol:

I've read it all now............Health and Safety issues over a golfer and his balls being in contact with goose poo.

Being serious for a moment the recommended method of culling large numbers is to heard them up during the molt when they are flightless and humanely dispatch them.

if you seen some of the women golfers,than that statemnet would be true.. :lol::hmm:

lets not forget the kids play golf to.. :good:

al

Shoot the geese and the offspring too, that way you aren't leaving the younguns to die.

Like someone has already said, if you do it to a vixen and her cubs you get a pat on the back, double standards.

You are entitled to agree with Dekers, as I am entitled to completely disagree with him. It has nothing to do with being blinkered and everything to do with the "They are on the list so I can shoot them" attitude.

So, just who are you suggesting has that attitude?

And the rest of your post has been answered already in this thread.

Strange as it may seem, just because you can't find a Canada to shoot it doesn't mean that many of us aren't falling over them!

ATB!!

Yes people that shoot the vixen and can't be ***** sorting the dependent cubs.

Come on Dazza...and MC...lets have less of the sweeping generalisations...I know wildfowlers who can't hit a Cross Channel Ferry, doesn't mean all Wildfowlers are useless and leave pricked birds all over the place...Chill out and just consider for a minute there are other places and situations!! :good:

Edited by Dekers

If i get called tonight by a farmer to sort a problem i will sort it :hmm: if it means shooting canada's or bee size rabbits its legal and i will do it :oops:

This is not sport but vermin control end of , do i enjoy it :good: to be honest not all the time but it has to be done :good:

MC i can shoot canada's every evening of the week up here but don't unless there a problem :good: but if the farmer asked me to shoot them tomorrow i would . do you have a problem with this ? As for canada's being good eating :lol:

PS, i will sort any youngsters out at the same time or at a later date, not nice but things you have to do at times :oops:

This is not sport but vermin control end of , do i enjoy it hmm1.gif to be honest not all the time but it has to be done

Not knocking you Magman but the above comment is one I just can't understand. I have been mad about shooting since I was a young lad and have shot for over 50 years and I can honestly say that I only shoot because I enjoy it. I have enjoyed every shoot I have ever made even the ones that have gone slightly wrong. I don't view any species as vermin as such but rather as quarry and I gain much satisfaction and enjoyment from putting them in the bag so to speak. I would pack up shooting if I only killed something because someone told me I had to and I derived no pleasure from the shot.

Every farmer or keeper I have ever known shoots because they enjoy it even though their livelihood depends on it.

This is not sport but vermin control end of , do i enjoy it hmm1.gif to be honest not all the time but it has to be done

Not knocking you Magman but the above comment is one I just can't understand. I have been mad about shooting since I was a young lad and have shot for over 50 years and I can honestly say that I only shoot because I enjoy it. I have enjoyed every shoot I have ever made even the ones that have gone slightly wrong. I don't view any species as vermin as such but rather as quarry and I gain much satisfaction and enjoyment from putting them in the bag so to speak. I would pack up shooting if I only killed something because someone told me I had to and I derived no pleasure from the shot.

Every farmer or keeper I have ever known shoots because they enjoy it even though their livelihood depends on it.

Well I don't have any trouble understanding what he means. If anybody derives pleasure from blowing away a bunch of goslings, they need help, in my opinion.

It's one of those things that needs to be done in the course of vermin control, if that's what the farmers asked you to do. Rather odd to enjoy doing it, I would suggest :good:

:good: So when it's -2 degrees or ******* down with rain and your sat there waiting for 2 or 3 hours you enjoy this :good:

As for the quarry do you shoot young rabbits :good: if so do you enjoy putting them in the bag :lol:

I offer a service whether i like it or not they all have to be delt with :hmm:

I would pack up shooting if I only killed something because someone told me I had to and I derived no pleasure from the shot.

See you in the for sale section soon then :oops::oops:

Its about time some on here realised just what the terms of the general licence means. By law Canada geese should only be shot out of season after all other possible means of scaring them have failed. I have been involved with wildfowl conservation on bird reserves and wildfowling for the past 40 years. There are times when I needed to deal with Canada’s and the easy , simple answer is to use bird scaring fireworks or fencing fields adjacent to moulting waters. There is no need to shoot them out of season.

I want to see shooting to continue well into the future and see my grandchildren doing it long after I have gone. The image of goslings being left without parents after being shot does the future no good at all. Perhaps the image of tiny goslings being blasted is even worse. Just think of what the tabloid newspapers would do with such stories with the photos to back it up. Its high time some people thought what they were doing before they pulled the trigger and think a bit about the future of their sport before they do further damage to shooting sports in the eye of the public. As some have said there is no moral difference between this and shooting a vixen to leave the cubs to starve. BUT the starving cubs are likely to be out of the public eye in contrast the goslings are likely to be very much in the public eye in most cases.

But then perhaps they are so selfish as to only think about shooting today and not give a thought to the future of our sport.

BUT the starving cubs are likely to be out of the public eye in contrast the goslings are likely to be very much in the public eye in most cases.

so this makes it ok then :good:

Ps , the next time a farmer rings me about all his chickens being killed in one night i will ask him if he has tried fireworks or fencing off the field :hmm: get real :lol:

and the easy , simple answer is to use bird scaring fireworks or fencing fields adjacent to moulting waters. There is no need to shoot them out of season.

in your opinion.

The image of goslings being left without parents after being shot does the future no good at all.

this could be said of any wildlife we shoot and is clutching at straws.

BUT the starving cubs are likely to be out of the public eye in contrast the goslings are likely to be very much in the public eye in most cases.

sure they was a big do in the news the last couple of weeks about a fox being shot on a golf course, cant remember ever seeing anything about CG being shot,in or out of season.

But then perhaps they are so selfish as to only think about shooting today and not give a thought to the future of our sport.

Shooting permission comes with conditions just like our fac,s

about time you wild fowlers got your heads from up your arises.

Edited by markbivvy