Canadian Goose Carcass

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You went out and shot that just to prove a point on a forum?

You are joking right, and just what point was that anyway? Some of us have been working today and in about 30 minutes I'm out again! In case you hadn't noticed being a Game & Vermin Controller is not a 9-5 Mon-Fri job! :oops:

Edited by Dekers

what the hell is a Game controller?

The main double standards for Paul 223 is basically the difference between vermin and Game. Yes foxes get it pretty much all year for the simple reason if you don't you will seriously reduce all other wildlife as they are very active at the moment. We go after the cubs and try and clear them up as well so that side of the argument is bull. It just comes down to who really doesn't give a **** about wildlife in general. The main point at the start of this was purely to point out they do have goslings at the moment and to bear that in mind, its also that their impact on grass or crops is minute at the moment as everything is growing fast so its rare for them to be a problem. So basically it comes down to people shooting them for the sake of it and using the general license which they haven't been on long to take them out of season. Then you get MB and co who just argue for the sake of it

some people need to get off the forum and either sell their guns and take up knitting or stick to clays and still get off the forum.

i don't normally comment but one or two members need to get a life. all birds and animals have young but they are still poisoned, trapped or shot. the main people that moan about the Canada's are wildfowlers or wannabes.

only yesterday i was asked to take care of Canada's that in 3 days have grazed the crop to the dirt in 3 fields. so do we leave them to finish off the rest or control them. maybe the ones that are moaning about a guy wanting ONE bird, wish to pay the farmer for his lost crop. no i didnt think so.

we stopping shooting pigeons now are we because they have young as well. think not to that one as well.

to many keyboard shooters on here that need to wake up and get with the real world. Muppets.

some people need to get off the forum and either sell their guns and take up knitting or stick to clays and still get off the forum.

i don't normally comment but one or two members need to get a life. all birds and animals have young but they are still poisoned, trapped or shot. the main people that moan about the Canada's are wildfowlers or wannabes.

only yesterday i was asked to take care of Canada's that in 3 days have grazed the crop to the dirt in 3 fields. so do we leave them to finish off the rest or control them. maybe the ones that are moaning about a guy wanting ONE bird, wish to pay the farmer for his lost crop. no i didnt think so.

we stopping shooting pigeons now are we because they have young as well. think not to that one as well.

to many keyboard shooters on here that need to wake up and get with the real world. Muppets.

Well said :good: hopefully the knitting/sewing shops will be busier on monday ;)

But still the OP hasn't replied :yes:

Edited by JKD

The reason we have "Anti's", is they have a completely emotional point of view. They don't see the rational side of any debate or justification. It now appears a lot of shooters do too.

There have been some strong cases put forward here, and need to be looked at logicaly. Ironicaly, "Mr Logic" summed it up nicely about two pages back.

It also seems the origional poster will have to buy himself a free range chicken.

I just believe that we should always see the whole picture. In the words of someone else here, Canada geese during breeding season and through most of the summer (when they are flightless) are very closely tied to waterways and some damage occasionally occurs to crops along the waters edge , but in no way does it compare to rabbit damage. It is not pest control, it is shooting for the sake of shooting. If the goal was to sort the problem out, then firework rockets would do this without too much effort. Geese will NOT return where they are disturbed.

Geese are not comparable to foxes as they pose NO threat to other wildlife, neither are they comparable to pigeons, crows and other vermin for the reasons I highlighted earlier with regards to their feeding etc.

Again, if the problem does exist in the scale that warrants shooting the birds and all other methods have failed (highly unlikely) of course it is permitted. My view on the reasons of Canada geese making it to the general licence though is political. And I explain: Natural England aim to remove or greatly reduce as many non native species from the British countryside as possible. For whatever reason that is, it means that Canada geese becomes a species 'non grata' hence their entry on the general licence.

By the way, has anyone tried cooking some roghan josh using Canada geese? Slow cooking and the combination of spices of the dish make the bird ideal for this type of cooking. I would have no problem if someone said 'I enjoy shooting whatever comes my way simply because I can (it is in the general licence list)' but trying to disguise it with excuses and rationalizations just does not cut it.

For a moment expand your narrow field of vision and try and see the bigger picture...

Thanks for reading.

The reason we have "Anti's", is they have a completely emotional point of view. They don't see the rational side of any debate or justification. It now appears a lot of shooters do too.

There have been some strong cases put forward here, and need to be looked at logicaly. Ironicaly, "Mr Logic" summed it up nicely about two pages back.

It also seems the origional poster will have to buy himself a free range chicken.

;) Potential double negative alert here - depending on how it's read. :good:

Good game, good game. :yes:

Active , Deckers , Mark and some others , did you make any attempt to use non lethal methods to move on your Canada’s as the law requires , ie scare the birds first with flags , fireworks , bangers. If you had there would have been no need to shoot them at this time of year. A lot of the comments on here are not from sportsmen ... killers would be a better description . And once the public form the same impression that will be the end of shooting sports as we know them.

Some of you on here have accused wildfowlers of having their heads up their *****. You seem to have forgotten if it was not for the wildfowlers breeding and redistributing the around the country the geese back in the 1960s along with the WWT you would not have any geese to slaughter while they are breeding today.

I for one am going to start lobbying BASC and DEFRA to remove Canada geese from the general licence in an attempt to stop the abuses that are now going on. Shooting Canada’s under the terms of the general licence should be a last resort by law , not the first method of controlling them. Shooting any species under general licence is a privilege not a right. Abuse that right and the next thing is they will start looking at how the letter of the law is observed for other pest species such as Wood pigeons. Do not think your vermin shooting can be taken away from you. In Holland so called vermin and wild geese are protected by law and if they get out of control government officials cull them by gassing not shooting. We do not want this happening in this country , but abuse the system and once the public opinion gets to realise to know what is happening it may happen here too. For gods sake used your heads , if there is a real problem shooting control may be necessary after all other methods have been tried but in the vast majority of cases it seems people on here are shooting first.

Act with sense and respect for our quarry and the public and there is no reason why shooting live quarry will not continue beyond our lifetime . Abuse the birds and the sport I love will have a very short future life. And do not think just because we have a Tory government this is unlikely , its under Tory governments that all the laws restricting live shooting and the guns we use to do it over the past 60 years have come in.

Pick up any copy of the Shooting Times and one of the few true comments that come out of that magazine is on the contents page

" The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please . We have it in trust. We must account for it for those who come after."

KING GEORGE V1.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for this forum to carry the same quote.

Edited by anser2

:good:

strange thread this and think it has different responses from different parts of the UK :yes:

People in some parts shoot alot of English partridge yet here there few and far between

in other parts they shoot 3-4 hundred hares again here they few and far between

Canada's here are a pain in the **** but maybe in other areas there few and far between :good:

I don't knock them that shoot what is plentiful in there area but they do in mine :yes:

My last post on this :yes:

A lot of the comments on here are not from sportsmen ... killers would be a better description .

:yes: im a killer, i freely admit it, and no matter what face you try to put on it we're all killers. some do it for the romantic notion of sport, some do it because it needs to be done, and some (thankfully the few) do it because they enjoy killing. the end result is the same, a dead animal. who are you to judge someone else's personal ethics and reasons?

but heres the ultimate question for you anser - would you should canada's if they WERENT causing a problem, but they were "in season" as some in this thread have termed it? :yes:

:yes:im a killer, i freely admit it, and no matter what face you try to put on it we're all killers. some do it for the romantic notion of sport, some do it because it needs to be done, and some (thankfully the few) do it because they enjoy killing. the end result is the same, a dead animal. who are you to judge someone else's personal ethics and reasons?

but heres the ultimate question for you anser - would you should canada's if they WERENT causing a problem, but they were "in season" as some in this thread have termed it? :yes:

:yes:

If they are in season, thats a different thing, and for some, it becomes morally right. Strange how us humans work at times isn't it? :good:

You do not have to actually try each method, if you deem that such methods are impractical. Certainly, in the case of golf courses, and my permission with the horse yard, scaring them simply does not work - flags and so on simply have no effect, and you cannot use fireworks and bangers anywhere near a golf course (because funnily enough people are playing golf) and the horses, because you scare them.

Clearly such measures are impractical. Therefore, we are left with the course, sanctioned by the general license PRECISELY FOR these situations, of shooting them. So I do. Am I a killer? Yes I am. I am controlling vermin. I don't shoot for sport - I do not kill simply for the sake of killing. I shoot deer for control also, since they are a major pest around here, but I also eat them, and very nice they are too.

If the fact that vermin and pests need controlling upsets people, I don't actually care too much. I care about our sport of shooting, and I care about making sure it's shown in a positive light. I am quite happy to educate people, and I frequently do with colleagues etc that ask about it. What I WILL NEVER DO, is to hide behind the antis, and say we shouldn't do XYZ because it could cause upset. If it needs doing, we do it. If not, what's the point anyway?

:lol:

strange thread this and think it has different responses from different parts of the UK :yes:

People in some parts shoot alot of English partridge yet here there few and far between

in other parts they shoot 3-4 hundred hares again here they few and far between

Canada's here are a pain in the **** but maybe in other areas there few and far between :lol:

I don't knock them that shoot what is plentiful in there area but they do in mine :good:

My last post on this :yes:

:good::hmm: yes Rob that's about the truth of the matter

Killers ehh!, the only gun to leave my cabinet in about the last month has been the shottie for clays, the last animals shot were a fox ( to the .223) about 4 weeks ago and a couple squirrels to the air rifle yesterday which have been making a nuisance of themselves, but heho things you need to do in blood lust :yes:

some good info here

some interesting points 'Large flocks of non breeding adults may thus build up at certain sites' coupled with 'The adult birds moult around the end of June and are unable to fly for a 3-4 week period' and 'The causes of death are:

• 67.2% shooting

• 4.3% hit power lines

• 5.5% redation

• 23% unknown.

There is little evidence that natural factors, which become more severe as numbers of birds increase, such as limited food availability, act to control Canada Goose numbers.

Low annual mortality and high reproductive rates give the national population the scope to increase in size for the foreseeable future'

'When feeding they may produce droppings at a rate of one every 6 minutes' :yes: thats some sh t :yes:

Good job there on the GL :yes:

Edited by Paul223