What do you make of this letter about a shotgun certificate

HARRIS

I am 16 and hav recently put in for my SGC. I put it in about a week ago and today recieved a letter from avon and somerset firearms dept asking for permission to approach my school about details of my history and maturity. Now I am a bit worried because I have had a few incidents at school and i am worried that it might jepordise me getting an SGC.

I just thought that i would consult the wealth of knowledge that is pigeonwatch :yes:

Cheers

HARRIS

well yes i have a had a few odd fights in the first few years of secondary school but for the last two i have knuckled down and done well. IE won a few awards regarding my young apprenticeship and done well in class and i havnt been in any trouble what so ever.

dont worry bout it then, get the letter back to them with ure acceptance of their request, you have to start somewhere. It would be to your benefit if you agree, and dont be afraid to stand your ground and defend yourself. We all have skeletons in the wardbrobe.

Edited by mayfly36

I think that I will just have a word with my Headteacher and head of house just to see what they say. But I'm going to send it back to allow them. Most of the problems were just simple school boy stuff, so I dont think there is much to be worried about it just seemed abnormal.

dont worry bout it then, get the letter back to them with ure acceptance of their request, you have to start somewhere. It would be to your benefit if you agree, and dont be afraid to stand your ground and defend yourself. We all have skeletons in the wardbrobe.

i dont, im a perfectly sensible, nice and pleasant member of society :yes:

i dont, im a perfectly sensible, nice and pleasant member of society :yes:

I'll give you 2 out of 3 there, you can choose which ones yourself...

as for the OP, don't worry about it, as long as you haven't put anyone in intensive care, the school shouldn't have anything to say that's bad.

Well I did have anger management (personal choice too) for 6 weeks but that ewas due to my mother having lukemia and i got a bit shook up about this.This is when most of the trouble occured due to comments made by other people. But before iI put in for my SGC my head of house said he would be willing to explain about all of that.

Edited by HARRIS

I'll give you 2 out of 3 there, you can choose which ones yourself...

as for the OP, don't worry about it, as long as you haven't put anyone in intensive care, the school shouldn't have anything to say that's bad.

u saying im not pleasant?! :good:

Well I did have to have anger management for 6 weeks but that ewas due to my mother having lukemia and i got a bit shook up about this.This is when most of the trouble occured due to comments made by other people. But before iI put in for my SGC my head of house said he would be willing to explain about all of that.

sorry to hear that, though it would probably be ok. it was a few years ago, see what happens :good:

Look if you don’t say yes, they almost certainly wont say yes. so you have little choice. At your age your personality is developing quickly and the last couple of years will be more important than the first couple you were in the school. If you are now a good student and have been for the last two years then that’s all to the good, but the truth of the matter is , if you want your SGC then you have no choice but to say yes.

I am sorry to hear about your Mum, hope all is well now

All the best

Alex

Harris, i was in your boat not long ago.. i was 16 in my last year at school when i applied for my FAC & SGC.

In school i had a lot of scraps and did some things I'm not totally proud of but i did what you have done and knuckled down through my last year. With all this in mind they also approached my school at the time to see what i was like and my headteacher gave it to them on a plate and told them everything i had done.

The school did say that i matured up in that last year and when the officer come round for the interview he could also see this and now im a proud owner of both sgc & fac.

So basically from my experience you have nothing to worry about, just be polite and well mannered when you get your interview.. he will see that you have changed.

hope this helps and Good luck pal.

(Sorry for any spelling mistakes or what not)

I think that I will just have a word with my Headteacher and head of house just to see what they say. But I'm going to send it back to allow them. Most of the problems were just simple school boy stuff, so I dont think there is much to be worried about it just seemed abnormal.

Sweet jesus, it'll be like 'Harry Potter with a Gun' :good:

Cheers for all the help guys. I will just see what happens now all I can do is be honest and tell it how it is. There shouldnt be any problems hopefully as i have really done well these last two years. I will let you all know how it goes.

Cheers

HARRIS

Your responses have made it clear why the police do this, its not that unusual, you have 2 choices, one may get you a SGC the other certainly will not!

It's the world we live in and the way it is, nobody is singling you out, they just want info, thats all!

Your FEO cant legally do this. You provide the referees, and the applications done from that, end of. This is one of those 'standard practise' police requirements thats got itself embedded as normal, when its actualy not, a bit like mentors.

Having said that, I'd stilll go along with it if I were in your position.

Interesting to hear that they are doing this, I was 17 when I applied and they didn't speak to my school, or any of my referees for FAC either.

Infact I asked my Head teacher to countersign my SGC and he said no becuase the governers won't allow it!

Your FEO cant legally do this. You provide the referees, and the applications done from that, end of. This is one of those 'standard practise' police requirements thats got itself embedded as normal, when its actualy not, a bit like mentors.

Having said that, I'd stilll go along with it if I were in your position.

Not strictly true.

If you read the prescribed procedure the Home Office set down regarding the enquires the police must make in determining the applicants suitability you will see that bullet point 7 would cover a child's school.

Bellow I quote from the manual..........

4.2 Applicant

a) Checks required on applicant;

• PNC/CRO.

• DVLA, (where concern dictates this is appropriate).

• Criminal Intelligence.

• Domestic Violence/Child Abuse, (where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Complaints and Discipline(where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Special Branch (where there is some cause for concern which dictates this as appropriate).

• Checks should also be made with any other area within the force which may hold information in respect of the applicant.

• Check of firearms department files for any information about the applicant (e.g. firearms file/previous revocation/refusal etc.) and for any additional information held elsewhere.

• Consider character and third parties (family, friends, associates, other residents) and where appropriate conduct PNC/CRO and criminal intelligence checks.

c) Check GP (if reason to do so - this may be conducted by the Force Medical Officer seeking a Confidential report after which a recommendation is made to the Firearms Licensing Officer.

Just to let you guys know I have spoken to my head teacher yesterday and he said that i have matured well and have really got on well and he is really impressed with me over these last two years. He also said that he would be very willing to speak to them and that there shouldnt be any problems. He even showed me my behaviour record and it turns out the things i was worrying about dont even come up so its looking good. Thanks for all your help ansd support guys it really helped.

And in regard to them being or not being allowed to approach my school i dont really care just as long as i get my SGC

Thanks

HARRIS