George Best

dazza

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally am deeply saddened by the death of george I did have the privilege of seeing him in action yes I do know of his long and well documented troubles but by god he lived his life ? he never scrounged. whinged. or was as a result of 3 generations of benefit culture a maker of sick "he did it to himself jokes"?and at the end of it he gave far more than he ever took and to make a sick joke out of the demise of one of the most gifted persons to have ever played the great game is even sadder? not for them but for you? I for one think we lost something special today and it sickens me to see cheap shots fired at a guy who after all is now DEAD

RIP george

KW

A bit distasteful their Stuart. I red a load of threads from another shooting forum and some of the comments were in very poor taste. Not surprising for that shooting forum as it goes, as there are mountains of t*ssers participating in debate

George was the FIRST football pop star, some would even say he was the FIFTH BEATLE and made millions just from advertising alone even in the 60’s

He had everything, money, charm, talent on and off the field good looks. But the demon booze he could not resist. It’s usually the price to pay along mega fame for a 60’s iconic football hero

When he signed for Man U his Mum struggled with all the attention and fame and she became an alcoholic, she died in 1978 at 54. Apparently she never drank until she was aged 40

I see a lot on here put in their interests - Guess what ? DRINKING

We all like a drink don’t we ? Even the Government has changed the laws so we can get p*ssed 24 hours a day legally

George wanted one or two glasses more than others R.I.P

I will be having a glass tonight to celebrate the life of one of the greatest to wear the red jersey

Jonno

EDITED TO INCLUDE "AS A REPLY TO KDUBYAS POST NOT STUARTP"

You have a point, but in previous threads there have been jokes about Gary Glitter who is a kiddie fiddler. That is a serious point as well, but no-one commented.

It is part of the British psyche to have a "gallows humour". It prevents it from getting to us, the reality of the situation.

How many times have we laughed at a sick joke? Doesn't make it right but we see the funny side of it.

This is the first of many jokes that will come from his death and no doubt half of them will end up on here. Will I laugh? Probably. Should I laugh? Probably not.

Don't lets get into a frenzy over this, we seem to be argueing a lot on here at the moment it seems.

Sorry if it seems I am being a little bit "extreme" over this, one of those days.

Edited by SNAKEBITE

Fair enough.

Being 34 I cannot really recall what he did. Disliking football makes it all the less relevant. However it was only himself he hurt at the end of the day so it doesn't make him a bad person does it?

Hope that it acts as a wake up call to others, then it would not have been in vain.

I too saw George Play... several times in fact as a young teenager I was awestruck by his talents.. we all wanted to be him, even drew fake sideboards on our cheeks at 13. ........A sad loss.

That said his destiny was always in is own hands and he chose to ignore years of good medical advice. He had his chances and perhaps better medical treatment than many of us will be able to afford. Like Oliver Reed of the same era im afraid he drank himself to death.

Its sad that for many people born 68 and beyond he will be remembered for this rather than his football genius.

I hope theres a lesson to be learned and Im sure George did too

FM.