Owners reviews

Super major

Isuzu Trooper Commercial bullet proof mechanics, reasonable MPG, good load carrying capacity, easy urban driving and great off road with a decent set of boots. What I liked about them was no nosey **** could tell what you were carrying in the back. Now have an L200 can't fault that either but its early days

If you are thinking possibly an estate car then have a look at the shogun sport as that might well tick most of the boxes. All that would put me off fourtraks and this is from an ex owner is partly the agricultural feel but also as they get older the chances of a decent one get less and less

We had a sport on test from garage,sounded like a tractor,very dissapointed with it,loved the looks but nothing else impressed us,needless to say we didnt buy,ended up getting a volvo estate which was a good car :good:

not the best off roader but i got a grand vitara 2.7 xl7 5 seat version got it july 2005 and other than new tyres all its ever needed was a new wiper blade on a mot 2 years ago and i had brakes done last week as i have had it 5 years and not changed them yet, it has sailed all mots, it tows my 1600kg caravan ok, down side is 27 mpg solo and 18 mpg with caravan on,

loads of space in back with seats down my ocean kayak fits inside when i go fishing with all my tackle

colin

Isuzu Trooper Commercial bullet proof mechanics, reasonable MPG, good load carrying capacity, easy urban driving and great off road with a decent set of boots. What I liked about them was no nosey t*** could tell what you were carrying in the back. Now have an L200 can't fault that either but its early days

This'll fit your needs, 3.1TDI.

Our keeper has one and a mate of mine who's a landscape gardener (trailer & tools), never had a problem.

Brilliant on seriously muddy fields.

You'd get a real tidy commercial for your budget, Good Luck

Toyota Hilux crew cab pick is another solid with a bullet proof reputation.

Good luck.

PS. The fourtrack is capable by my god it's ugly :good:

Edited by MITCHF

Discovery would fit your needs very well I would think...

Had a Freelander - very good and capable as long as you stay within it's capabilities...

Had an e plate Range rover 3.5 V8 Manual a long time ago.....nice truck but as I was quite young the fuel bills were ridiculus!

Had a suzuki vit 1.3 swb - fantastic truck, no complaints it was just limited for passenger room+kit and it didn't tow 3.5 ton (which i wanted at the time)

Had a 52 plate Discovery facelift TD5 - fantastic vehicle - did a fuel pipe and a hub on it but that was it, used it for commuting, shooting, towing 3 ton and everything else - a wee bit noisey on the motorway but more than capable.

Now have a Disco 3 TDV6 - spoiled with the interior and it's fantastic to drive but it's early days.

The discovery seems to be very practical and does everything I ever needed to a high standard.

Regards,

Gixer

When I sold the Defender I bought an old (L reg) Toyota Hilux surf 3.0 td as a stop gap motor whilst looking for a Disco. I've still got It !!!

It pulls like a train (better than Disco), it's very, very comfortable, it's quiet, it's relatively economical, it appears reliable (had it 18 months now), load area is vast.

Down sides are, if it does break it will be expensive for parts (compared to LR), it's definitely nowhere near a LR off road (if you've never had a Defender don't bother commenting because you just will not understand) but it's good enough in it's own way but just hasn't got that last bit of traction.

All in all it's a good motor and only cost £1800 (I think). I would have another no problem, and in fact, am considering getting a later one.

When I sold the Defender I bought an old (L reg) Toyota Hilux surf 3.0 td as a stop gap motor whilst looking for a Disco. I've still got It !!!

It pulls like a train (better than Disco), it's very, very comfortable, it's quiet, it's relatively economical, it appears reliable (had it 18 months now), load area is vast.

Down sides are, if it does break it will be expensive for parts (compared to LR), it's definitely nowhere near a LR off road (if you've never had a Defender don't bother commenting because you just will not understand) but it's good enough in it's own way but just hasn't got that last bit of traction.

All in all it's a good motor and only cost £1800 (I think). I would have another no problem, and in fact, am considering getting a later one.

Hilux, that's a pickup isn't it? seems cheap at £1800, what mileage did it have?

Briefly considered a double cab pickup, taking back seats out to put tools in but don't think it'd be big enough as I always keep a big toolbox in and often have chainsaws and other bits in. Also insurance company advised me not to get a double cab pickup as I'm 19. Whether this was because it's a 4 seater or whether they've had lots of claims on double cabs I don't know. Pickup would be better for lamping but don't know if that alone makes it worth getting one.

I mentioned earlier about possibly having a car version of a 4x4 but I'd rather have a commercial because as I've said there'll be valuable tools kept in it not to mention guns! Although tinting back windows of a car might stop folks looking in the windows could still be broken.

Discovery - strange how so many on here love their Discoverys but I've heard you've always got to be at them with the spanners, I like mechanicing but I want to be able to go to it on a morning and know it'll go (although the parts seem reasonably priced)

Nissan Patrol - like I've said I like these as they seem to be similar to a Landcruiser. However they seem expensive and I'm not sure what the insurance company would reckon.

Landcruiser - Good but pricey

Shogun - Later ones are lovely looking cars but the electronics on modern cars scares me. Don't know enough about the late 90's ones but seem good.

Trooper - Lots of people liking these so may need to take a look and there's plenty of commercial versions for sale.

Got a feeling I'll still probably end up getting a Fourtrak (think it's more me wanting one than logic!), just struggling to find a clean one.

been some interesting posts on here.

Cheers,

Rob :good:

Hilux, that's a pickup isn't it? seems cheap at £1800, what mileage did it have?

HiLux surf is the car version only normally available as a Jap import same chassis and engine as the pickup but a land-cruiser esque body

At 19 i would think insurance on anything would be an issue 4x4 Vans can be cheaper if classed as commercial but insurance likely to be worse double cabs can be run as vans so cheap company cars for people who are self employed etc (in terms of tax as you don't pay benefit in kind on a van) Leaving expensive tools in any vehicle is a no no and definitely with guns you could have a Van Vault etc welded in but still dont leave guns in a vehicle unless absolutely necessary and remove a functional component.

Trooper, Disco, Patrol commercials are ideal the cars can have seats folded but boots are big anyway Terrano/Maverick commercial may be worth a look while you look for a tidy fourtrack

Edited by HDAV

Was looking for a cheap as chips 4x4 last year......came across a '94 Fourtrak Indy......paid £900 with full MOT.

Has been great, especially with the snow this winter.

Have had to put pads on the front and have the front n/s caliper freed up.

Will need a small amount of welding on one rear arch and one sill.......but purely for my OCD reasons, would get by without.

If it gets through the next MOT i'll be well happy cos I love it! Totally no nonsense.

Was looking for a cheap as chips 4x4 last year......came across a '94 Fourtrak Indy......paid £900 with full MOT.

Has been great, especially with the snow this winter.

Have had to put pads on the front and have the front n/s caliper freed up.

Will need a small amount of welding on one rear arch and one sill.......but purely for my OCD reasons, would get by without.

If it gets through the next MOT i'll be well happy cos I love it! Totally no nonsense.

Main reason that I love them, they're no nonsense!

I don't mind having to replace wearing items at all such as pads, clutch, exhaust etc. it's just a case of finding a clean one and then keeping on top of it with a thorough waxoil every couple of years (obviously you have to ensure there's absolutely no rust or you'll just be sealing it in and making the problem worse)

Briefly considered a double cab pickup, taking back seats out to put tools in but don't think it'd be big enough as I always keep a big toolbox in and often have chainsaws and other bits in. Also insurance company advised me not to get a double cab pickup as I'm 19. Whether this was because it's a 4 seater or whether they've had lots of claims on double cabs I don't know. Pickup would be better for lamping but don't know if that alone makes it worth getting one.

I mentioned earlier about possibly having a car version of a 4x4 but I'd rather have a commercial because as I've said there'll be valuable tools kept in it not to mention guns! Although tinting back windows of a car might stop folks looking in the windows could still be broken.

Discovery - strange how so many on here love their Discoverys but I've heard you've always got to be at them with the spanners, I like mechanicing but I want to be able to go to it on a morning and know it'll go (although the parts seem reasonably priced)

Nissan Patrol - like I've said I like these as they seem to be similar to a Landcruiser. However they seem expensive and I'm not sure what the insurance company would reckon.

Landcruiser - Good but pricey

Shogun - Later ones are lovely looking cars but the electronics on modern cars scares me. Don't know enough about the late 90's ones but seem good.

Trooper - Lots of people liking these so may need to take a look and there's plenty of commercial versions for sale.

Got a feeling I'll still probably end up getting a Fourtrak (think it's more me wanting one than logic!), just struggling to find a clean one.

been some interesting posts on here.

Cheers,

Rob :rolleyes:

As already said, the Surf is the estate version, sort of land Cruiser body on Hilux chassis. It is an import but there's thousands of them over here so parts no problem, apparently they're very, very highly rated abroad.

Don't let the stories of Disco's being trouble put you off. Don't forget that Disco's outnumber other 4x4s by an enormous amount, therefore, so will the horror stories. If you maintain (that's look after, not repair when absolutely knackered) they are good and parts both new and s/hand are cheap.

I don't have a 4 x 4 at present but have own a few for towing my lads' motocross box trailer - twin axles.

Discovery was excellent, but rolled a bit on corners.

Owned a 2.2 diesel Frontera - just under 40mpg, one of the cheapest cars to run, I have ever owned - I am on cars 98 and 99 at the moment. Few spares needed and they were cheap. Quicker than a Disco, better on road than Disco and very respectable off road. Far more car like to drive. Post 98 are supposed to be better - I agree.

I don't know why people knock them - bit like Skodas.

I fancied another for shooting, but you don't see many autos - wife likes us both having autos, so she can drive them both.

Edited by Gordon R

Don't forget the Maverick / Terrano option - my shooting hack 1993 Maverick 2.7tdi will go pretty much anywhere a Land Rover will go, has a decent low range 'box and I haven't layed a spanner on it since I had it, over a year ago.

There are a few good, well serviced ones out there and I do think you'd be surprised at just how good they are for what you want to use it for.

Got to Agree,

I've had 3 Discovery's in the past, a 300 Tdi, a Series II 4.0 V8 and a 53 Plate TD5 Auto.

Due to change in circumstances I needed to get some cash so sold the Disco, bought a normal car and an old R Reg. Nissan Terrano.

It's great had it 2 years sailed through both MOT's and goes better off road than my Discovery's. OK it's SWB so that helps. Only had to repair the Fan resistor in the time I've had it and give it a service.

They do lean a little but are a great vehicle for off roading.

With the Rear seat down in mine there's loads of room.

Hewey