Urban fox shooting

Does anybody here do it? And what weapons do you use?

I've been asked to perform this task having an unrestricted FAC and own the following:

Legal air rifle

12 bore shotgun

Silenced 410 shotgun

.243 full bore

.22 rim fire silenced.

Ruling out the obvious guns that I can't use, I'm worried that the .22 (subsonic) will ricochet and the silenced .410 will be too loud.

Advice from experienced guys appreciated.

Every situation presents its own challenges "Urban" or otherwise, but there is usually a way...NOT always though!!

Usually tricky, and make sure you tell the law!

Discus with the neighbours as well if possible, and bait to a time and position having worked out your shooting point and back stop.

Use the tool most appropriate for the individual job, if you have an Open FAC the law deems that you can decide what that is, but get it right or say goodbye to the FAC/SGC. Don't push your luck, if you are not easy walk away!

Hey, Hey, Hey...just be careful out there! :good:

i do this day in day out with a 22rf i carry out a survey first pick my area for baiting that i know i will not get a ricochet [sp] this is the result of last nights cull in london sw.be sure its on your ticket first and police are aware you are about :rolleyes:

Picture276.jpg

Hi, i have the same problem, but the only tools i have are either a 12 bore or a .410. The foxes are coming in pretty close to where i have seen them before (10 - 15 yards), do you think the .410 will do it from that range?

Id be shooting from a 1st floor window down onto a large garden.

ps; the area is hardly urban....it does back on to some fields which i do not have permission on. There are neighbours next door but that is it for the next say 200 meters to one side.

What would be the ideal PAO?

Reed

i do this day in day out with a 22rf i carry out a survey first pick my area for baiting that i know i will not get a ricochet [sp] this is the result of last nights cull in london sw.be sure its on your ticket first and police are aware you are about :whistling:

Picture276.jpg

Thats the trouble with a .22 RF on foxes. Lots of blood indicates it wasn't an instant kill, even if the fox went down and stayed down the heart was still pumping blood out. Messy but it obviously did the job.

Edited by Vince Green

Thats the trouble with a .22 RF on foxes. Lots of blood indicates it wasn't an instant kill, even if the fox went down and stayed down the heart was still pumping blood out. Messy but it obviously did the job.

Not compleately true Vince , head shots nearly allways bleed alot on any animal even if killed clean .

Harnser .

Just how do you define instant kill, brain dead is the general medical..thats why we get to do heart transplants!!?

I struggle with this quantity of blood on a fox, .22lr or whatever, but just why would that not mean an instant kill??

There is NO trouble with a .22lr or HMR on a fox in the right circumstances!

:whistling:

The .22 delivers a lot less energy than say a .223 and you don't get the "wham bam" knockdown effect. Many foxes shot with a HV rifle there is suprisingly little blood but .22s can be messy. You only get that much blood from a beathing heart so which ever way you look at it the fox had to still be alive.

I interpret this with a head shot as meaning that the .22 bullet doesn't have the explosive impact to completely mash the contents of the skull although the shot may be effective and do what is required to drop the fox.

I don't think a .22 headshot necessarily causes instant brain death. The bullet has to hit a certain part of the brain not just anywhere in the brain to do that.

Edited by Vince Green

The differance from a head shot and a soft tissue shot is the soft tissue shot can seal its self to a certain degree and staunch the flow of blood . Where by a head shot will still bleed after dead because of the lack of muscle and tissue on the skull . Genrally head shot game will bleed after death from the bullet hole that has not been staunched by body tissue . When you bleed a deer after it has been killed it is surprising how much blood will drain from the dead beast after it has been killed and you have cut a through one of the major ateries .

Harnser .

• 2 weeks later...

Well I sent my licence in for variation. I have vermin but I wanted to add fox to my .22 rimfire.

Had a phone call today telling me I can only use a .17HMR .22 hornet and above for the job. I mentioned it needed doing discretely and that a .243 going off could cause some trouble. She just said that I shouldn't worry as long as I had my paperwork handy and informed control etc. Although the police would still turn up!

I rang BASC, they confirmed that I would not get 'Fox' on my .22 and favoured live traps.

Since then I 've been informed by a very reliable source that in a court of law, a fox is classed as vermin. Which I've had on my rifle all along......

you can debate the vermin issue all day long as I am sure will happen, personally I wouldn't have asked the question and had it put on file as you've now been told they don't think the .22lr is acceptable so get caught and you could be in the sticky stuff. Personally I shot them under the vermin condition with an HMR for a fair while and my force have even written Vermin including foxes on a mates ticket. I've now got it written on so clarified but you have the issues firstly you have to be caught with a dead fox, then have someone who knows how to check ticket conditions and then someone who wants to make an issue as to whether vermin includes foxes or not. It would be exceptionally unlikely to happen.

any animal once dead, can and will still bleed, maybe something to do with gravity :oops:

all my dispatches are with a 410 hushpower, held milimetres away from skull, the entry point are the size of a 5p coin, it never has an exit hole, more of a bulg in the underside of jaw, around the size of a golf ball, they are instantly dead, but depending how they are laying, some still bleed out...

post-3731-1277830419.jpg

Well I sent my licence in for variation. I have vermin but I wanted to add fox to my .22 rimfire.

Had a phone call today telling me I can only use a .17HMR .22 hornet and above for the job. I mentioned it needed doing discretely and that a .243 going off could cause some trouble. She just said that I shouldn't worry as long as I had my paperwork handy and informed control etc. Although the police would still turn up!

I rang BASC, they confirmed that I would not get 'Fox' on my .22 and favoured live traps.

Since then I 've been informed by a very reliable source that in a court of law, a fox is classed as vermin. Which I've had on my rifle all along......

Now that just goes to show the inconsistencies in varying forces, as mine dont allow 17hmr for fox but are fine with .22!!! :oops:

Edd