What pick up truck

bunny_blaster

Hi all i will be buying myself a new vehicle in a month or so and will be after a pick up for my shooting. It will be brought new unless i can find a really good deal on a 2nd hand one. I will be looking at either a Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux or L200. It will be the double cab version. Can someone with knowledge of either of these trucks please tell me the pro's and con's.

Any other suggestions are welcome

Cheers

Ben

there is a big difference in cost between that selection so it probably comes down more to who will do the best deal than the best truck as they are much of a muchness. Drive them all and haggle as much as possible and see what you can get

there is a big difference in cost between that selection so it probably comes down more to who will do the best deal than the best truck as they are much of a muchness. Drive them all and haggle as much as possible and see what you can get

Hilux :hmm:

If your buying new, Lindop Bros Toyota in Queensferry , North Wales do discount for BASC members.

Edited by MITCHF

The swept back windscreen pillar on the l200 gets in the way for shooting off the mirror, take a toy gun with you to test it, wish I had. My old pajero was perfect for this type of shooting. Apart from that I found the l200 the nicest to drive of the navara rodeo trio that i tried. It does about 32mpg on motorway runs and 28 tootling around the lanes. However if you tow a lot of weight (my livestock trailer) it goes down to 20ish. Stacks of room in the rear seats, traction control, on road 4x4, plenty going for it, but am told that if it overheats then the head will go. Oh and iirc the hilux can only tow 2.25t legally, 2.8 for l200, 3t ranger. A mate rolled a ranger with my livestock trailer on so I didn't personally fancy that happening to me.

They all have their pros and cons i think it comes down to personal preference really

hi there

ive been on the same trail for a while now,and tried the ranger,hilux and the isuzu rodeo,the best was the hi lux but at the price it ought to be, i have settled for a rodeo as it was a good drive and i think a good value truck and to be honest you wouldn't think the hilux was worth another 8k or so,specs pretty good on the rodeo and the guys at the dealership were a lot more helpfull,good luck with your choice :hmm: terry b

if you are interested in the ranger you should also entertain the mazda b2500 , its the same as the ranger except for the interior trims and the badge on the front and also a lot cheaper .I had one on a 51 plate for about a year , very good allround vehicle . My elder brother had a nivara on an 05 , once again a very nice , capable vehicle .

The swept back windscreen pillar on the l200 gets in the way for shooting off the mirror, take a toy gun with you to test it, wish I had. My old pajero was perfect for this type of shooting. Apart from that I found the l200 the nicest to drive of the navara rodeo trio that i tried. It does about 32mpg on motorway runs and 28 tootling around the lanes. However if you tow a lot of weight (my livestock trailer) it goes down to 20ish. Stacks of room in the rear seats, traction control, on road 4x4, plenty going for it, but am told that if it overheats then the head will go. Oh and iirc the hilux can only tow 2.25t legally, 2.8 for l200, 3t ranger. A mate rolled a ranger with my livestock trailer on so I didn't personally fancy that happening to me.

They all have their pros and cons i think it comes down to personal preference really

my mate has one and has the same shooting problem whereas my older shape its like bench rest shooting from the mirror

We have a Hilux - our third. This one is an 03 plate. They are fantastic workhorses and give very little problems and go through the MOT very easily each year. We get parts when needed (not very often and mainly as a result of poor maintenance by previous owner) from companys such as Roughtrax and Milners - they offer very good discounted spares.

Our local garage rate the Hilux very highly but I know that they are critical of the L200 because of gearbox failure/expense. Don't know about the Ford Ranger.

The downside is that Hilux's are very hard to get hold of. Whenever we go to a show we have notes left under the wiper asking us to sell! We've even had random people knock at the door asking if we are interested in selling! As it's my wife's vehicle she gets quite concerned by this and takes a more serious view at security when she leaves it anywhere!

Steve

whats the wingmirror like as a rest? must be the most crucial thing about a pickup purchase

Good point. Got a bit of old roll mat and shaped it to fit around the door and mirror with a bit for padding at the bottom. Tie it on with some soft tape. Works fine with the advantage that the rifle is cushioned for noise if you knock the door or mirror.

Cheers

go for a navara better driving,faster more room and perfect for shooting have used all of the trucks for shooting and this is byfar the best :good:

I agree that the navara seems to have the best manners on the road, and very nippy engine, however on our game farm we use 2 x Navaras and we have had no end of reliability issues, everything from the electronic 4wd system failing, to one of them strangely cutting out at random times, one is 4 years old, the other 12 months or so (Outlaw), they have caused so much trouble that we are getting rid of the pair as we can not afford breakdowns while hauling birds around the Country.

We also have an old L200, 7-8 years old and its bullet proof!

I have just bought an 07 L200, and so far its proving to be very good, cant speak about it long term yet, and i dont want to curse it!

Edited by Hot-Shot

D130Doug.jpg

:good:

Got a 56 plated Hilux invincible at work and don't think much to the interior, driving position or off road ability on road tyres. Tried a Navara and was impressed with the driving position and comfort of it but can't comment on the off road side of things other than saying the local keeper who owns it is very happy with it on Grabbers (07 plate aventura)

Not tried the L200 or Rodeo or Ranger.

If I wanted a pickup I would have the 130 Hi-cap though!!

Something to bear in mind if you are going to be towing heavy loads the hilux is about a muck use as a chocolate tea pot it just sinks the back suspension a problem we don't have with the old R reg farm defender with 200,000 on the clock but do with the new 09 plate hilux we were going to replace the defender with a hilux until we encountered the towing problem so it will be being replaced with a defender instead. The hilux is a comfy easy to drive and good bangs for your bucks on speck compared to a defender but if you are towing big loads just wont do.

George

• 2 weeks later...

i have owned a navara and l200 new shapes, Currently got a 07 ranger. The navara was by far the best and they have just released the new 2010 navara, it looks mint inside and out. Many have said they will do a 3litre navara soon. The l200 is rubbish - no power unless it an animal, but still ugly. MY 07 ranger already has rust on it at 3 year old. Hiluxs are dear for what they are, just becuase people thinks they more robust.

GET a new 2010 NAVARA aventure

iv got a 2006 L200 elegance lovely truck but rusty on the rear end mitsubishi give a 12 year body warrenty but there not gracing it so trading standards are taking over the case so i wouldnt have another mine has full dealer service record ect !!!if i was going for another id go for a hilux