12.30pm - time to take our medicine

Dr W

After all the speculation by the papers only 20 mins to go to find out how much we're all going to be shafted by.

Had the good times now to face the pain.

(btw I fully support whatever they do to get this country back on its feet).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He should hit benefits. I've just had a 'customer' on the phone with a £27,000 overpayment of Income Support due to having to much capital. He couldn't afford to repay £9.90 per week even though he was receiving £335 per week in benefits.

I fully agree Dr. W! - As long as it doesn't come out of my pocket! :good::welcomeani::welcomeani:

On a serious note - They might well need to be hard hitting, which is all well and good and we should accpet this as long as it hits everyone FAIRLY without causing those that are struggling to survive to struggle even more! Having said that I do not want to get into the old argument of "Benefit Scroungers"! All I will say on that matter is - I have to agree that some people that are on benefits are nothing short of thieving, lazy, good for nothing scroungers BUT let's just remember that there are some people that are on benefite through no fault of their own. :blink:

Edited by Frenchieboy

I fully agree Dr. W! - As long as it doesn't come out of my pocket! :good::welcomeani::welcomeani:

On a serious note - They might well need to be hard hitting, which is all well and good and we should accpet this as long as it hits everyone FAIRLY without causing those that are struggling to survive to struggle even more! Having said that I do not want to get into the old argument of "Benefit Scroungers"! All I will say on that matter is - I have to agree that some people that are on benefits are nothing short of thieving, lazy, good for nothing scroungers BUT let's just remember that there are some people that are on benefite through no fault of their own. :good:

:blink: hear hear

shaun

Agreed. But beacuse of the ones that have been on it since they left school and never worked a day in their lives and never intend too, the ones that need it the most don't get enough. The guy with a family that lost his job in the recession, worked all his life but can't even get £48 per week JSA.

I'm thinking about applying for DLA as the doctor told me yesterday I'm overweight. If I play my cards right and reach clinically obese I could be on high rate by Christmas and qualify for the Brucey bonus of a car. I've a bad back just thinking about it :good:

There are certainly people on benefits through no fault of there own - jobs are not easy to come by.

However, there is a queue of people at the Channel Tunnel, and Airport Arrival Areas who will be on benefits tomorow, having not paid one penny into any system, let alone the UK one.

If that isn't stopped as a priority above all other cuts in public spending, today, then all faith in this coalition immediately is gone.

The UK is the only country in Europe when we give our hard earned cash to a bunch of people who just turn up and hold their hands out. Try doing that in any other country! That's where Billions will be saved - immediately....

A friend of ours had a boob job yesterday, on the NHS.

There was nothing wrong with her, she wasn't the biggest but I've seen a lot of

women/girls with a lot less. She said she just had to say it was affecting her self

esteem, she didn't want to go swimming etc.

I'm not sure of her financial position but am sure she could have paid for it herself

if it was affecting her that much.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be cut back.

Nial.

Depends what you want to do. Most people won't take a job unless it paying £500+ a week.

Thats a view I would certainly keep quiet about, especially where I live in the Midlands, and most definately if you wanted to remain healthy...

I am lucky I have decent paying work - I know a lot who are very well qualified and there is nothing. Job Centres have nothing and agencies are closing. For every job that comes up there is a massive queue of people, mostly non-UK residents, who will work for well below the legal minimum wage.

But even they are getting fed up with the lack of underpaid work and are going home.

Well the VAt bombshell was dropped upped to 20% but at least not until Jan 4th 2011 so if you've got any big spending plans then I'd get them in before then.

No great surprise, and really if you were going to spend £1000 on a fancy new TV it goes up £21.

Not a huge difference AND much easier to work out in my head :good:

No great surprise, and really if you were going to spend £1000 on a fancy new TV it goes up £21.

Not a huge difference AND much easier to work out in my head :good:

I'm pretty glad it's been delayed as with my estate agent fees of £7k I was looking at another £175 in vat.

The only things is with VAT increase to 20% unless your income goes up we are all taking a pay cut in real terms which means less money to spend etc and all the service industry will have less income which means less staff with no jobs no money and its a spiral of doom.

I know things need doing I dont know the answers but I know I will have to cut back on spending and dont know if thats the right thing for the country.

Cheers OTH

Christ knows why they increased VAT, it cancels out the 15% VAT last year.

Its definitely going to affect exports/growth, so why do it :good:

Too much too quickly!

I think it's because it was thought to provide a discount when it was needed but in reality it did very little. As has been said it's only £25 on a £1000 tv so you probably won't even notice it. There's no vat on food so it's only the extras that it will effect (and petrol but they said they'd look to smooth petrol prices) and to be honest I've been tighting my belt for last year anyway so not that bad.

There isn't any vat on exports (unless selling direct to foreign public) so no effect there.

The labour harpie was banging on but since it was her mob that messed things up in the first place I'm not paying her any attention.

A friend of ours had a boob job yesterday, on the NHS.

As one of the people who funded said boob job, I would like either photographic evidence or the opportunity to inspect the work in person to ensure that value for money has been achieved.

ZB

I think it's because it was thought to provide a discount when it was needed but in reality it did very little. As has been said it's only £25 on a £1000 tv so you probably won't even notice it. There's no vat on food so it's only the extras that it will effect (and petrol but they said they'd look to smooth petrol prices) and to be honest I've been tighting my belt for last year anyway so not that bad.

There isn't any vat on exports (unless selling direct to foreign public) so no effect there.

The labour harpie was banging on but since it was her mob that messed things up in the first place I'm not paying her any attention.

The VAT increase is a big problem for me as I deal with high value products (helicopters), at the moment they are selling very well both within the UK and Europe. With the VAT increase we are looking at an extra £15k+ per machine, that's obviously not good! You then have the running costs (fuel), AvGas and Jet-A1 - at the moment it costs £180 to fill a small aircraft, £500+ for a turbine. Once you factor in the 2.5% (doesn't sound like much) its no longer viable and wipes your profits. Its going to be crippling for small companies in the aviation sector (any other sector for that matter), there is no need to increase VAT yet, in 12-24 months time perhaps once the economy is in positive growth.

Increasing VAT is just going to slow growth, its always been the same with the Tories - sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Edited by agusta

don't you claim back VAT like most businesses Augusta?

Yes I do, but you still pay the 2.5% then reclaim (thats 2.5% we could do with at the moment!), you also have those who aren't VAT registered (small PPL schools/airfields etc) and private/group investors (those at the moment are our main target audience), the larger tour operators will go direct to manufacturer and import from the US.