Miss Fire

Hello All,

Had to happen at some point but I have to say I have not thought about it until pulling the trigger and,,,, nothing.

I knew I had loaded a new cartridge so I was sat there thinking what now?:rolleyes: in the end I wondered off to a space in the field and ejected it and there it sat on the floor.

What is the right thing to do when this happens? I ended up going all the way back to the farm, getting a very strong steel box, putting the cart in it then disposing of it as I just could not leave it in the field in case someone or something stepped on it and it went off. But could it go off?

Any tips would be good as I am sure this will one day happen again.

Paul.

Throw the gun and scarper in the opposite direction to the barrels or keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction and wait one minute after this time it won't go off you can then either retry it or take home and soak the primer end in oil prior to disposal.

with a normal cartridge if you're worried what to do with it you can just cut the plastic empty it out and soak the primer in oil. Before that though you just hold the gun pointed safely in case its a slow burn and then open it up. Its rare but does happen usually swap it into the other barrel and try again and often they will go

A mate of mine had what he thought was a misfire on my 20b whilst doing some clays. Pulled the trigger, nothing happened. Kept the gun pointed down the range but started to dismount it from his shoulder. As he did so, if went off.

As it was no longer braced and he wasnt expecting it, the recoil nearly broke his finger which was behind the trigger guard. Happened again about 5 shots later, this time he kept it mounted and pointed down the range and sure enough 3-4 seconds later, bang!

Should pick it up from the gunsmith tomorrow. Newish gun and too much packing grease left in it with a piece of swarf getting in the way of the action

Lesson - point it safe and keep it braced until you can open it!

AB

To dispose of misfire cartridges, i cut them open like a banana, remove the cap and then bin them.

Whatever u do,don't chuck it in the bonfire! I heard a story (dunno if its true) about a guy at yoxeter range,he had a misfire on an slr ejected it without waiting,it went off as it came out they never found the projectile but the 7.62 nato case got inbedded in the guy 2 rows over head! Ouch! Poor range discpline eh!

Whatever u do,don't chuck it in the bonfire! I heard a story (dunno if its true) about a guy at yoxeter range,he had a misfire on an slr ejected it without waiting,it went off as it came out they never found the projectile but the 7.62 nato case got inbedded in the guy 2 rows over head! Ouch! Poor range discpline eh!

assuming its a 12b they don't do much on a bonfire, a ground near me used to burn the empties many moons ago and you'd hear the odd damp squib where someone had put a misfire in

when it happens i keep the gun pointed in a safe direction for a minute or two, then eject, reload it and try firing it again. if still nothing then its a dud, disassemble the cartridge (carefully) and dispose of it :rolleyes:

Rightly or wrongly, that's the way I do it .........

in 1986 on exercise in brecon a soldier through about 50 blanks 7.62 on the fire for a laugh ,like WW3 yes he was punished no it wasn't me

Throw the gun and scarper in the opposite direction to the barrels or keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction and wait one minute after this time it won't go off you can then either retry it or take home and soak the primer end in oil prior to disposal.

Wow, that's bad advice if I've ever heard it.

...throwing a loaded gun. Yeah, good one.

A more sensible approach is to 'point' the gun in a 'safe' direction for 30 seconds. If nothing happens, break the gun and inspect the pin mark. Close the gun and try to fire the cartridge again. Follow step 1 if it fails again and then dispose of the cartridge.

assuming its a 12b they don't do much on a bonfire, a ground near me used to burn the empties many moons ago and you'd hear the odd damp squib where someone had put a misfire in

:lol:

I have had cartridges go off on a bonfire and they just go pop. There's no compression, like you get with a rifle round, rendering them harmless.

A more sensible approach is to 'point' the gun in a 'safe' direction for 30 seconds. If nothing happens, break the gun and inspect the pin mark. Close the gun and try to fire the cartridge again. Follow step 1 if it fails again and then dispose of the cartridge.

the first bit was to add a bit of humour to the post but it failed miserably in your case :lol:

i have been having missfires since i had new pins fitted. put nearly 200 carts through it, and it seems fine now. :hmm: It got to the point where about 1 in 10 was miss firing. just wait a bit, crack it open and reload it. It always fires the second time. :)

I had it happen twice within a few shots at a clay ground, pulled the trigger....nothing, went to break the gun and 'bang', same thing happened just a few minutes later!? Got a few raised eyebrows but the gun was pointing down field so no real hassle. Lost faith in the gun and px'd it even though it fired faultlessly afterwards. It happens from time to time on the Benelli M2, just hear a light 'click' but that's down to the bolt not being fully forward, ie: if you banged the butt, or slide the bolt forward slowly...it needs to be fully forward then it doesn't happen.

the first bit was to add a bit of humour to the post but it failed miserably in your case :angry:

That's the way I read it to :no: