Got a Dyson Hoover?

Dempy

Now, I know most of you wont bother with this thread and I am sorry to of wasted your time!

But if you have a Dyson, please read on.

Last week our dyson started making popping noise's and smelt awful, straight away I knew the motor had packed up. So out came the laptop, on to currys web site, we have to have a new one, after all, what is the wife going to do when she gets home from work and has finished cooking my dinner, ironing my shirts and bathing the kids? :hmm:

But seriously, I went on Currys web site and a replacment hoover was going to cost over £250, "oh ******", but no choice right? Wrong!

I went and had a look on Fleabay and found a brand new replacement motor for £16.95, I couldnt believe it! :)

So I ordered it, it was on the doorstep in two days and it took me an hour to fit it...

So if your motor goes in your Hoover, dont just throw it away, if I save one person £200, this thread will be worth while :lol::good:

Now, I know most of you wont bother with this thread and I am sorry to of wasted your time!

But if you have a Dyson, please read on.

Last week our dyson started making popping noise's and smelt awful, straight away I knew the motor had packed up. So out came the laptop, on to currys web site, we have to have a new one, after all, what is the wife going to do when she gets home from work and has finished cooking my dinner, ironing my shirts and bathing the kids? :hmm:

But seriously, I went on Currys web site and a replacment hoover was going to cost over £250, "oh ******", but no choice right? Wrong!

I went and had a look on Fleabay and found a brand new replacement motor for £16.95, I couldnt believe it! :)

So I ordered it, it was on the doorstep in two days and it took me an hour to fit it...

So if your motor goes in your Hoover, dont just throw it away, if I save one person £200, this thread will be worth while :lol::good:

:lol: snap!, with doing a fair bit of work round the house our dyson has been abused ( judging by the filter it been sucking up wet cement :lol: ), two weeks ago the motor packed up, ended up breaking a plastic 'circlip' and a catch during the removal, the whole lot was sourced on flea bay for less than 30 quid including a new set of 3 filters, Mr dyson is a star amazingly easy to strip and repair :lol:

I have a local woman, (yes woman) who will rebuild a dyson for next to nothing,

we now have 3 of them, as I have bought them from her for £30 each. one upstairs one downstairs and one in the flat.

I keep meaning to ask her about suck, but so far have bottled out. :hmm:

I don't know where Mr Dyson went to school but he no doubt surpassed in the "Value Engineering" class - none of his companies would ever go the way Crocs did...

Ps - I thought it was established several years ago that Vacum cleaner (come on guys use the right term :hmm: ) and Dyson vacs in particular was kosher / bona fide / legit geezer talk!?

buy a henry instead, your less likely to get the burnt out problem.

the lack of bag is the dysons killer as the filters need regular replacement.

just dont try to do any diy with one, sanding back polyfiller and its blocked, motor smoking within 15min.

with the henry i can chase walls with a grinder and hoover up virtually till the bags full!

i really dont understand why people would buy a bagless cleaner, you have to buy filters at similar price to bags, and when it comes to emptying you have to shake all the contents out :hmm:

The motors on Dysons often go because they run very hot because people do not clean the filters often enough.

Just use washing up liquid and rub well in to the filter media - flush with loads of clean water and dry 100% before refitting :hmm:

This tip might even save you a motor or 2!

Building dust is very fine and kills filters very quickly

Shame I cannot find the ON switch :)

because it's onomatopoeic.

"Abbreviate" is another long word - which ironically means "to shorten". :hmm::)

All this vacuum talk is well gay, I didnt know that there are so many Suffolk lads on here.

I don't know where Mr Dyson went to school but he no doubt surpassed in the "Value Engineering" class - none of his companies would ever go the way Crocs did...

Ps - I thought it was established several years ago that Vacum cleaner (come on guys use the right term :lol: ) and Dyson vacs in particular was kosher / bona fide / legit geezer talk!?

RC,

You could at least spell VacUUm right if you are going to moan about not using the correct term :hmm::):good:

KIRBY vacuum cleaners are the daddies though. I had a trial with one (no intention of buying it, but my neighbours signed me up to it as I had a stain on the carpet I wanted removing) and I couldn't believe how much it picked up compared to the 6month old dyson I had at the time.

The salesman poured a cupful of salt on the carpet and spread it about. He told me to hoover it up with the dyson - so I did, and I was pleased with the result, it sucked loads up. He then told me to go over it with the Kirby and it pulled more than twice the amount of salt out of the carpet, which I was pretty shocked at. He did the bed too, which was pretty minging and then removed the stain from the living room (drunken late night curry stain) with no sign of it at all.

Shame about the price - £2K for a hoover!! No bloody chance!

I've just hired a RugDoctor carpet cleaner for the annual clean..... not a stain left and all looking like new for £20. and before anyone says .... but the detergents are a fortune... just use liquid for your washing machine.... £1.99 from Wilcos and same job as the RugDoctor chemicals at about £18.

OMG, I sound like a Molly Maid! :hmm:

Oooh can i mention the fact i have stripped and rebuilt 2 kenwood chefs made 25 years apart?

Dyson are good Meile over rated henry great for site work, I think dyson offer a "service" which is £60 and includes all parts (motors, plastics etc) at home father in law had his machine basically rebuilt for £60 not bad when you consider the cost of parts and time spent...

Hoover only caught on as an alternate name, because it's onomatopoeic.

It caught on because of Hoover's total brand domination, a bit like "Biro" for a ballpoint pen. :hmm: Nothing onomatopoeic at all about that word, unlike "woosh", "buzz" etc which all suggest sound.

It caught on because of Hoover's total brand domination, a bit like "Biro" for a ballpoint pen. :) Nothing onomatopoeic at all about that word, unlike "woosh", "buzz" etc which all suggest sound.

It's called a Biro because the person who invented it was called Lazlo Biro.

Hoover in my mind fits quite well as an onomatopoeic word. I can't think of a word that sounds like a vacuum... So hoover gets it in my mind :hmm: