Skoda Yeti

Dead-Eyed Duck

I've had several 4 x 4's in my time - the best previously were Subaru Foresters - although they were fairly heavy on petrol. Had two,and did 120,000 miles in each with no problems at all. The panoramic sunroofs were fabulous for lamping out of.

I've also had a Skoda Octavia 4 x 4 for 120,000 miles. Very good, although restricted in the off road stakes.

Oh - I'm a company car driver and 120,000 miles is roughly 2.5 - 3 years.

Three years ago the car policy changed and I wasn't allowed to have a 4 x 4 any more, and so I chose a Prius as the lowest cost option - this saved me £31/week net after company car tax.

Well, the Prius went a couple of weeks ago with 135,000 on the clock, and I can honestly say that it was the most frugal, boring car that I've ever had. 55 mpg was easy, and 60 mpg is you wanted to be careful.

My Skoda Yeti replaced it (2 litre diesel) and so far it has proved to be a match for the Foresters. The engine is really smooth compared to previous diesels that I've had to tolerate, and as the model is the Elegance it has more extras than you can shake a cat at.

I've had the large sunroof fitted for lamping out of, and whilst the boot looks small the back seats fold flat within 2 seconds to give ample space for rifle cases stowed fore and aft.

It is fitted with a 6 speed box, and mpg is slowly going up from 43 mpg initially to average 47.4 mpg over 2,300 miles.

If anyone wants any more info please send me a message.

Don

Three years ago the car policy changed and I wasn't allowed to have a 4 x 4 any more, and so I chose a Prius as the lowest cost option - this saved me £31/week net after company car tax.

Well, the Prius went a couple of weeks ago with 135,000 on the clock, and I can honestly say that it was the most frugal, boring car that I've ever had. 55 mpg was easy, and 60 mpg is you wanted to be careful.

I just changed from a Peugeot 407 to a Prius, I pay £200 a month less tax. It may be boring but £2400 extra a year in my pocket is a nice pay rise. I bet you felt the difference when your tax code zoomed back up again.

How does it perform off road.Can it manage a bit of rough ground or is it more a suv.

It all depends what you want to do - my off-roading normally consists of driving round fields lamping rabbits and foxes, and for this I think that the Yeti will be more than adequate.

The tyres are fairly wide (sorry for the poor description) 225/50R17 and as such will spread the weight so that the ground does not chew up too much (what farmer likes that?)

If you are into serious mud plugging then forget it. How many do serious mud plugging - very few I would think.

The 4 x4 system is a Haldex type whereby normally the car is a 2 wheel drive that cuts automatically into 4 x 4 when it detects wheel slippage. So, it should cope with the average muddy track that would bog down a 2 wheel drive, and that's all I want.

The Yeti is seriously well built, and all I can say is sit in one and slam the door....

Don

I just changed from a Peugeot 407 to a Prius, I pay £200 a month less tax. It may be boring but £2400 extra a year in my pocket is a nice pay rise. I bet you felt the difference when your tax code zoomed back up again.

I'm sure that I will notice it, but when you are sat in a Prius looking at a muddy track then you will wish that you had a Yeti or similar. Been there and done it 100's of times.

At then end of the day it all depends on what your priorities are...

Don

I'm sure that I will notice it, but when you are sat in a Prius looking at a muddy track then you will wish that you had a Yeti or similar. Been there and done it 100's of times.

At then end of the day it all depends on what your priorities are...

Don

True - without a doubt.

However, my £2400 saving will ensure

(1) I can buy me a little Suzuki 4 wheel drive or similar for doing the off-road miles I want to do around my permission

(2) it belongs to me - bought out of what the tax man hasn't creamed out of my wages

(3) I havent got to get home late at night and spend ages washing it down before I hit the road to see customers in the morning

(4) If I hit a fence post or it falls into a hole, I havent got to worry about explaining to the boss why I cant work for a few days

(5) I dont have to pay myself to get company car fixed at main dealer prices because insurance exclusions include off-roading

• 5 months later...

This is Spooky...... On friday I picked up a Skoda Yeti 2.0 Elegance 170Bhp, having traded in my Toyota Prius !!!!!!!

The Prius was, as previously mentioned very cheap to run, but so boring, in fact it is so boring I'm surprised I didn't fall asleep at the wheel.

The Yeti had 123 miles on the clock this morning when I set off up to stafford for a shooting session, and it returned 47.7mpg on the motorway with the cruise control set at 70 mph.

That's about 12mpg less than the Prius, but in my books well worth the difference, and I get some offroad capability.

So far I'm very happy with the Yeti and it looks like I'll be keeping this for many a year.

Oh and the build quality is superb.

I've had several 4 x 4's in my time - the best previously were Subaru Foresters - although they were fairly heavy on petrol. Had two,and did 120,000 miles in each with no problems at all. The panoramic sunroofs were fabulous for lamping out of.

I've also had a Skoda Octavia 4 x 4 for 120,000 miles. Very good, although restricted in the off road stakes.

My Skoda Yeti replaced it (2 litre diesel) and so far it has proved to be a match for the Foresters. The engine is really smooth compared to previous diesels that I've had to tolerate, and as the model is the Elegance it has more extras than you can shake a cat at.

I've had the large sunroof fitted for lamping out of, and whilst the boot looks small the back seats fold flat within 2 seconds to give ample space for rifle cases stowed fore and aft.

It is fitted with a 6 speed box, and mpg is slowly going up from 43 mpg initially to average 47.4 mpg over 2,300 miles.

If anyone wants any more info please send me a message.

Don

I had one for a couple of weeks back in August when my car was in for repair...

Must say I was very very impressed with its capabilites.

I took it off road a couple of times (dont tell the dealer!) and it was superb.

• 10 months later...

True - without a doubt.

However, my £2400 saving will ensure

(1) I can buy me a little Suzuki 4 wheel drive or similar for doing the off-road miles I want to do around my permission

(2) it belongs to me - bought out of what the tax man hasn't creamed out of my wages

(3) I havent got to get home late at night and spend ages washing it down before I hit the road to see customers in the morning

(4) If I hit a fence post or it falls into a hole, I havent got to worry about explaining to the boss why I cant work for a few days

(5) I dont have to pay myself to get company car fixed at main dealer prices because insurance exclusions include off-roading

i,ve i jimny u can have for £2500 reg 03?

Boot space is the limiting factor with the Yeti, great car otherwise. If I had the choice I would probably plump for the VW Tiguan given the extra boot space...probably in 2WD for the extra mpg too. I rarely need the 4WD if driven sensibly with the right tyres, and know your limits!! Plus the extra mpg is worth the ££££ over the miles!!