Wax Jacket?

BountyHunter

Hello all

I am on the scrounge for information again...

As I have my first attempt at beating looming on the horizon I thought I ought to look at getting myself a jacket. I'm guessing that my Realtree Camo one won't be appreciated - or safe, failing that I have the fluorescent yellow one that I had from my building site days - good for scaring things but possibly not acceptable for mixing with the Lauded Gentry.

The trouble is I am skint and with Barbours going for upwards of £70 second hand I can't afford one. Anybody able to recommend a good servicable Wax Jacket - sub £50?

BH

barbour products are not what they used to be, you used to be able to get them repaired for very reasonable prices, they now want an arm and a leg to repair a coat, due to abuse of the system.

i have a driza bone coat, its on its second season now, it is a little dirty now, but the fabric of the coat is in 100% condition, it needs a re proof, but it is a great coat.

i think it cost £80 imported from australia.

Bounty Hunter I don't know what size you are obviously but this one on ebay is a good buy. It needs a re wax but you can do that yourself for about £3 and as Nick says Barbours are not what they used to be so I think you are better off buying an old one than a new one. I got one off ebay quite cheap and rewaxed it and repaired a couple of tears with a needle and thread (shock horror) and it is good as new (or better as you can't buy decent heavyweight ones anymore).

Just my opinion but a cared for Barbour will last years so don't be put off if it looks old.

BH

my advise on wax jackets is dont get one, even the best still seem to leak and need constant re proofing

Got to agree with pavman. My old Solway zipper leaked from day one, rewax was a waste of time, when its cold and wet it gets stiff and the sleeves ride up and its cold! It is tough though. Look for an army surplus coat maybe. DS

Thanks Guys:

Tenbears - funny I am watching that one at the mo - it's the right size as well, only concern I had was paying £50 for a jacket with a rip in, maybe I'm too picky.

Stuartp - I was having that conversation about not looking like a nube with a mate last night...

BH

:D

It is one of their medium weight jackets and will probably reach just below your belt if that makes a difference with trousers and stuff. The rip depends on the size but you can just sew them up, it doesn't need to look pretty.

I don't think it has any game pockets either if that makes a difference.

Like the guys said you could be George Digweed but if you turn up to a shoot in a brand new Barbour everyone WILL take the ****.

i used to wear DPM trousers when beating and a DPM jacket, after half a season the trousers were in tatters, and the jacket wasnt doing much better. this is why i started wearing the Driza bone and bought some over trousers. they have both done 2 seasons now. they are water proof, stop all but the bigest brambles from getting you, and have probably saved me £40 in new dpm trousers.

once the braken has died down, and on days its not raining, normal clothes are fine. but early season, esspecially around here with lots of brambles, your every day hunting gear will be in bits.

If you are watching your finances, buy a cheap waterproof, windproof coat, not necessarily waxproof (I hate them).

I certainly wouldn't buy a torn one from eBay.

Try your local Army Surplus Stores for a plain green Goretex coat, or similar.

You are going beating, not entering a fashion parade. :D

Bounty me old mate.... its your lucky day.

I have an old ( not so old ) Just Togs Olive green shooting coat which is fully waterproof and lined and a nice piece of kit which I was going to take to the charity shop but couldnt be bothered. ( Ive been having a megas garage clearout over xmas )

Its got a slight paint stain on one sleeve but has plenty of wear left in it and is a really useful coat.

If you want it.... PM me with your address and I will post it to you tomorrow if you pick up the carriage which will be about £4.50

Its an XL which is about 44 to 46

Its going because Ive had a clear out and I am now a fat plonker ( its Official ) with no hope of getting into it again :D

FM.

barbour products are not what they used to be, you used to be able to get them repaired for very reasonable prices, they now want an arm and a leg to repair a coat, due to abuse of the system.

i have a driza bone coat, its on its second season now, it is a little dirty now, but the fabric of the coat is in 100% condition, it needs a re proof, but it is a great coat.

i think it cost £80 imported from australia.

I think you'll find that Barbour own "Driza Bone", or maybe it's the other way round? But the two names are more than just casual aquaintances that's for sure. So the quality of one product may be similar to that of the other.

darebear Posted on Jan 3 2006, 06:53 PM

here's some sound advice.....

DONT BUY ONE!

Sound advice

I bought a derby tweed from the midland gamefair last year for £40 looks very similar to the one on the link posted by rjimmer, i will never buy a wax jacket again.The only problem i find with it is getting to hot in it and ive been beating in some cold weather this year!!

ps I own a barbour wax jacket and it hasnt seen fresh air since i bought the tweed.

Bounty me old mate.... its your lucky day.

I have an old ( not so old ) Just Togs Olive green shooting coat which is fully waterproof and lined and a nice piece of kit which I was going to take to the charity shop but couldnt be bothered. ( Ive been having a megas garage clearout over xmas )

Its got a slight paint stain on one sleeve but has plenty of wear left in it and is a really useful coat.

If you want it.... PM me with your address and I will post it to you tomorrow if you pick up the carriage which will be about £4.50

Its an XL which is about 44 to 46

Its going because Ive had a clear out and I am now a fat plonker ( its Official ) with no hope of getting into it again :)

FM.

Thanks Mike that is very generous, I have PM'd you :D

BH